Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex-navy nuke looking to reenter field

Author Topic: Ex-navy nuke looking to reenter field  (Read 3574 times)

Offline thorneko

• Lurker
Ex-navy nuke looking to reenter field
« on: Apr 19, 2010, 05:14 »
     I have been out of the navy for quite a while now having decided to finish up my BSEE and enter the computer industry. Due to the recession I was laid off from SUN Microsystems where I worked under numerous jobs titles (Product Engineer/Test Engineer/Senior Staff Hardware Engineer), but am now looking at getting back into the nuclear field as either an operator or as an electronics technician. I have looked at a few positions as they show up on the Internet job sites and applied to a few. When I was in the Navy, I was qualified as both a RO/SRO (ET1/SS).
     I see from many of the job descriptions that I will be be required to take the POSS test, and would be interested in any available resources that will help me pass the test first time out. If anyone has any other advice I'd certainly be interested. This is my first post here, so I'd like to thank everyone in advance for any help they can give me in pursuing a career in the nuclear field.

Thorne

LaFeet

Re: Ex-navy nuke looking to reenter field
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2010, 04:51 »
Hey T K   I know that you can adapt to this field... especially after surviving the USS Hammerhead......

Email  or call me and Ill help out all I can

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2010, 09:10 »
Hey! Hey! Hey! go easy on the Hammerhead she was my second boat.

Offline thorneko

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2010, 05:42 »
Hey, my second boat as well...to be honest, it was pretty bad when I got there. Mare Island brings back some gruesome memories...before they got new barracks built there they housed us in these WWII wooden barracks, brutally cold in the winter. Apparently when I got there, they had failed their last ORSE and things were still messed up. Nuke ET weekly preventative maintenance kept getting put off to the end of the week, making life unbearable and no one was getting their quals done. The chief at the time left on vacation, so the first thing I did was try to set the engineer straight, had all the maintenance forms ready for his signature first thing on Monday morning, finished all maintenance by Tuesday afternoon. That's the way to get it done when you're in the yards. Got most of the ET division back on track with their sub quals as well. Then the chief came back and it was back to things as usual...(oh well, enough ranting about the Hammerhead)...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?