Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NRRPT

Author Topic: NRRPT  (Read 39516 times)

Chimera

Re: NRRPT
« Reply #25 on: Apr 25, 2010, 02:37 »
If an old geezer like me can pass it , so can all of you young cats. Don't get mad, just study harder.  MH

Since when is being in your 40's an "old geezer"?  I took the test back in 1981 and managed to pass it the first time - without all the neat study materials available today.  We had Cember; Moe, et.al.; and the Rad Health Handbook.  While I managed to pass it the first time, I was always just a little amazed that I did. 

After working outside the nuclear industry for a number of years, I was a little disappointed to discover I had lost my "Practioner" status - and the only way to recover it was to retake the exam.  I took the test again last year at the ripe old age of 60 and managed to pass it the first time again - although for the life of me, I have no idea how I did it.

This time around I did have the benefit of more and/or better study materials.  The Duratek course from a few years ago and a copy of Gollnick were invaluable.  I don't recommend self-study unless you have some serious time to dedicate to it and a good mentor to help keep you from getting bogged down in all the minutiae.  One of the packaged training classes is what I would recommend for the first-time taker.

Is it worth it?  Well, it has opened some doors that would otherwise have been closed and it has been worth some extra money along the way.  While I may show some partiality towards people who have passed the test, I am very much aware that it doesn't necessarily have any direct bearing on a Tech's ability to handle the job.  I've worked with some outstanding Techs who couldn't have passed the test if you held a gun to their heads.  Conversely, I've worked with a few Techs who have passed the test but had trouble turning their meter on.

If you are determined to take the exam, allow plenty of time to study before the exam, get the basic materials recommended in this thread, try to find a mentor to guide you through your studies, and have some fun along the way.  If you have the ability to attend one of the pre-packaged study courses, such as at the University of Colorado, I recommend that highly as part of your exam preparations.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #26 on: Apr 27, 2010, 01:22 »
Excellent. I hope I can do the same when I am an even older geezer. My son is 14, he thinks I helped invent dirt.I told him I did'nt pull the rods on the sun,I just did the seventh refuel outage and the second ISI.
I studied Moe,Cember, and Gollnick,Rad health handbook and the recommended cfrs. The math solutions from the NRRPT org was very helpfull.
Its true, some of the best techs I have known could not pass the test, and the converse as well.
Nothing but love to geezers young and old. MH

Offline AaronBuchanan

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 09:06 »
I threw my weight in trying to get the fancy INPO cert that they're passing out. Pre-Cal 2 wound up getting a 78 in that'll cost me unless I take it in the summer or in the fall, but my plate is full there, and I want to graduate quick. Right now I'm stuck between graduating faster, which means better chance at getting a job, or getting the credentials, which also means a better chance at getting a job assuming there's space. I need to get out there fast, and I'm tired of being in school, just want it over.

With all that said, think one of us Chattanooga State kids can do it? I have the study book, and I think we've been grilled on RG and CFR hard as anyone else has.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 01:20 »
my bad
 Im getting old
Havent been doing these for awhile your right, I am ashamed!!!  LOL   ;D

They may take my NRRPT and CHP 1 away because of this!!!  The title of TheNukeman also!!!

Maybe I redeeem My self and say both of us wrong!!  now what does 3 cubic meters equal.   1.442 meters cubed so each side of that meter is 1442 millimeters or that cubed is 3 E9 Milliliters.  Knocking cobwebs off.    :)

Sorry... You are confusing millimeters with milliliters... there are 1000 mm3 in 1 cm3 and 1 cm3 in one ml. Your 1e9 number is the number of mm3 which is NOT the same as ml.

One meter = 100 cm, therefore: 1 CUBIC meter = 100 cm x 100 cm x 100 cm = 1,000,000 cm3 and since 1 cm3 = 1 milliliter... 1 Cubic Meter = 1,000,000 cc or cm3 or ml or any other way you want to express it. That means that 3 cubic meters = 3,000,000 ml (or cc or cm3)

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 01:47 »
 ;D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline AaronBuchanan

• Light User
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 02:54 »
Experience?!?!

http://www.nrrpt.org/index.cfm/m/7/lt/Exam%20Requirements%2C%20Fees%20and%20Schedules/

Ahh yeah that tends to cramp things, I was told about the requirements, I was never told that the 5 years experience was one of them. So I should wait till I'm 31 to take it? Well I got time...   :-X

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 09:30 »
Cubic meters scrambled brain usually do in cubic liters, cubic feet, convert cubic feet into cubic milliliters. No excuse just not paying attention, and forgetting cubic centimeter is cubic milliliter, now I think I am unscrambled, Now the fool will shutup before my part 1 CHP and NRRPT are asked  to be taken back.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 10:45 »
Ahh yeah that tends to cramp things, I was told about the requirements, I was never told that the 5 years experience was one of them. So I should wait till I'm 31 to take it? Well I got time...   :-X

It's kinda hard to answer that without knowing how old you are now.  But, in principle, yeah -- you have to wait until you have the five years.  Up to two of those years can be school.  If you're taking a full time load, two years of school will take two years off the five.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline AaronBuchanan

• Light User
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 06:55 »
It's kinda hard to answer that without knowing how old you are now.  But, in principle, yeah -- you have to wait until you have the five years.  Up to two of those years can be school.  If you're taking a full time load, two years of school will take two years off the five.

Oh Really!? Not so bleak after all then! So all I got to do is find a job right away and it'll be when I'm 29. Well, there's my goal. If I ever come across as stupid here guys, bear with me. I'm a total pup when it comes to this industry.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 07:49 »
Cubic meters scrambled brain usually do in cubic liters, cubic feet, convert cubic feet into cubic milliliters. No excuse just not paying attention, and forgetting cubic centimeter is cubic milliliter, now I think I am unscrambled, Now the fool will shutup before my part 1 CHP and NRRPT are asked  to be taken back.

Cubic Liters?

How many of them are there in a cubic gallon?

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57 »
Its a cubic liter if have a liter cube. In that cube you can have water, air etc.
Its a cubic Gallon if you have a gallon cube.  Best I can come up with !! :)

So  3.78541 cubic liters = 1 cubic gallon assuming cubes to pour into.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:06 by thenukeman »

hossman

« Reply #36 on: Jul 25, 2010, 06:00 »
If your NRRPT is not current will it still count for employment requirements?  I was out of the business for a while and did not keep up the continuing education credits.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #37 on: Jul 25, 2010, 07:32 »
If your NRRPT is not current will it still count for employment requirements?  I was out of the business for a while and did not keep up the continuing education credits.

Depends on the site...some want 'current', some don't care...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

mostlyharmless

« Reply #38 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:14 »
How does NRRPT compare to part one of CHP exam?

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #39 on: Jul 26, 2010, 02:29 »
At least the version of the NRRPT I took was much easier than CHP part 1.  I barely finished the 150 questions for CHP and was done with same number in a bit over an hour for NRRPT.  My NRRPT had minimal calculation problems.  Much of it was definitions.  Only a few that required a lot of thought.  You either knew answer or moved on.
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

mostlyharmless

« Reply #40 on: Jul 26, 2010, 06:58 »
Thats what I figured. The part one should be a good bit more dificult. The NRRPT was hard for me. I have no pretentions to CHP. Not without more study and education.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #41 on: Jul 27, 2010, 12:53 »
Thats what I figured. The part one should be a good bit more difficult. The NRRPT was hard for me. I have no pretentions to CHP. Not without more study and education.

Comment on CHP PT1 and the NRRPT exam comparison

The NRRPT was trying to get ABHP to accept passing the NRRPT to qualify for passing part 1.  Don't know what ever happened but last I heard many moons ago was that discussion is what lead to the registration maintenance program for NRRPT.

Also on the NRRPT exam there are only correct and wrong answers from what I recall the CHP exam will allow you to give an incorrect answer but give you partial credit if your logic was sound.

sf

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #42 on: Jul 27, 2010, 03:16 »
NRRPT is accepted for college credits part 1 CHP is not (or at least wasn't)..... HMMMMM you make the call.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #43 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:35 »
[quote  Technician-level experience will in no case be acceptable as meeting the experience requirements.[/i]

[/quote]

They are serious about this part.  It took me nearly 25 years of total experience in order to show enough "professional" experience.   They followed up with long phone calls to my supervisors and references to verify that I had actually done the things I claimed.  You can cut this time considerably by concentrating your working time in areas like ALARA.

One other thing.  I encourage anyone that qualifies to take both part 1 and 2 to go ahead and sit for both.  The logic is that if you are going to put in the 200-300 hours of work that are needed to pass you hope to only do it once.  And I have known of people that passed part 2 and failed part 1 on first try.   I consider myself lucky to have passed both parts on first try.

These tests are not intended to be in competition with each other but rather to demonstrate a certain level of knowledge in 2 related but different areas of knowledge. 

mostlyharmless

« Reply #44 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:40 »
CHP is serious business. By that I mean you have got to be sharp to do it. I know one man whom I consider to be very bright that had a lot of trouble with part two. He eventually got it but had to work. I have a lot of respect for anyone that obtains CHP. I also have respect for someone who can slog down in a cavity for a while and come out clean. :)

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Jul 27, 2010, 09:44 »
[quote . I also have respect for someone who can slog down in a cavity for a while and come out clean. :)
[/quote]

AMEN

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #46 on: Jul 28, 2010, 07:03 »
NRRPT will get you credits towards a degree.

A degree will get you credit towards CHP/DABHP.

Call made,.... ;)

I sat in on one of the NRRPT meetings in mid 80's a representative of HPS was there to get some pointers on getting accreditation for their part one, after all it does count toward some post graduate degrees as well.

Call returned postage due.  8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #47 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:01 »
3292 to 3293,....just because you can remember the mid-80's,.... 8)

I seem to remember the girls were cuter, the fish were bigger, and I was more studly as things always appear bigger than they really were in my rear view mirror.  :P

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:41 »
3292 to 3293,....just because you can remember the mid-80's,.... 8)

Remembering the 80s is easy... its the 70s that are a bit more fuzzy.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Jul 28, 2010, 09:02 »
and I was more studly

How could you possibly be MORE studly?
« Last Edit: Jul 28, 2010, 12:15 by Rennhack »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?