Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Possible Billets for an EM(SS)

Author Topic: Possible Billets for an EM(SS)  (Read 6743 times)

The_Wedge

Possible Billets for an EM(SS)
« on: Apr 30, 2010, 09:00 »
Hello all. I am currently an E-5 comming up on my 4 year point. I'm supposed to have an interview with my CO, because I have about 2 years left. Obviously the question of Reenlistment will come up. I have said I'm on the fence for both of my career review boards, but alas I fear the jig is up. The only Reenlistment I am even remotely interested in is Guard Reenlisting. I am wondering what the possible billets are for me. I realize I am 18 months from being able to Guard Reenlist, the requirements I read say so anyway. I am aware of Prototype, NFAS, Power school, various PMT and various IMF locations. Are there more? If I went to Prototype what is the likelyhood of being transfered to the maintenance department, or the Off Hull Training Group? To give you an idea of where I'm at, I'm qualified SRO, 301 Craftsman, RPPO. I have a RP clean, a SP clean, and a EWS card, all of which have very little progress at this time. I have not been sent to any schools, which is another matter all it's own. Currently I am EDTA for my boat, although I have not been EDTA for long I like it a lot. Are there other billets like EDTA other then Instructor duty at NFAS or Power school?

adrianI

Re: Possible Billets for an EM(SS)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 01:44 »
Why don't you just talk to the detailer?

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:47 »
I am currently an E-5 comming up on my 4 year point.  I'm qualified SRO, 301 Craftsman, RPPO.

I have a RP clean, a SP clean, and a EWS card, all of which have very little progress at this time. I have not been sent to any schools. 

Currently I am EDTA for my boat, although I have not been EDTA for long I like it a lot. Are there other billets like EDTA other then Instructor duty at NFAS or Power school?
Since I'm far away from Navy Retention news right now, I'm reluctant to offer advice, other than a "big picture" aspect.   What do you want your resume to look like when you decide to separate from the Navy?  What do you want your Fitreps to look like when you go up for Chief?   (Being a professional, full-time EDTA won't make you competitive...anywhere).

You might consider your EDTA job as a collateral duty to your primary (NEC) mission of Nuclear Operations and Maintenance, which you're still progressing through key qualifications.  EDTA is a key job on ships; however, it is still just a collateral duty.   To get promoted (or hired on the outside) your key assets will be watchstanding/operation skills (e.g., EWS), maintenance (tell me about a technical problem you solved and were recognized via Navy Award).

If you've experienced four years of the NNPP/Nuclear world and are unhappy, then maybe a transition plan through a college and kicking off a second career in a fresh field is your path.   Otherwise, my recommendation is to get out of the EDTA office and into the plant and get more operation/maintenance experience. To be blunt, finding a "cushy job" for 3 years at this point in your career will just hurt you. 

Be the person that your CO knows can fix something when it breaks, who can be relied upon during a post maintenance reactor startup, etc.  Being someone that can only write a continuous training exam for the EDMC isn't the start of a successful nuclear career.

Understand that I'm not for or against anyone's Navy Career.  It's a very personal decision that some CO's (et al) take personally (to them).  At the end of the day, do what's best for you, your family, etc, but in any event...YOU have to be happy going to work each day.  However, I'm guessing you're around 22, 23 years old...don't slow down now, you're just getting started!

Co60

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:04 »
Are there more? If I went to Prototype what is the likelyhood of being transfered to the maintenance department, or the Off Hull Training Group? To give you an idea of where I'm at, I'm qualified SRO, 301 Craftsman, RPPO. I have a RP clean, a SP clean, and a EWS card, all of which have very little progress at this time. I have not been sent to any schools, which is another matter all it's own. Currently I am EDTA for my boat, although I have not been EDTA for long I like it a lot. Are there other billets like EDTA other then Instructor duty at NFAS or Power school?
There are EDTAs who were selected for the job because they were not good at their primary duty and there are EDTAs who were selected because they were the best of the best and the EDMC wanted a ringer for this important position.  On some boats, the EDTA rotates between divisions so the guy selected may be either type.  If you like EDTA because you can work your own hours and have greater responsibility; or you like it because it gets you out of your primary duty that you dislike, the answer to your question changes. 

You should be preparing yourself for success in or out of the Navy.  This means qualifying EWS and being good at EDTA and your primary duty.   Your tone about schools leads to me believe you're bitter about this.  This is exactly the kind of thing to bring up at CRB/PDB or CO meeting.  Be courteous and professional, but be ready to answer this question:  “If we send you to some schools would you stay in?”  Be prepared to live with the consequences of the answer.  Getting pissed because some other guys always get the best schools does you no good.

To answer your final question, there are billets for logroom yeoman types at the training commands and nuclear repair facilities.  Like Co60 said many of these are collateral duty jobs.  To be honest, most jobs like this (as a primary duty) do not impress selection boards or pad your resume much.  Good Luck.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 09:12 »
I have said I'm on the fence for both of my career review boards, but alas I fear the jig is up.
I can't offer you any career advice, but I'm curious why you "fear" telling the CO why you don't wish to reenlist? Good CO's care about retention and would be interested in why you are walking away from the Navy.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 09:21 »
I can't offer you any career advice, but I'm curious why you "fear" telling the CO why you don't wish to reenlist? Good CO's care about retention and would be interested in why you are walking away from the Navy.

I can't speak for current Navy policy but a CO's marks depended on his retention rates in the 70s. If you are being evaluated for your ability to lead I would suspect this is still true.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:55 »
It is, which is why CO's pay attention to it. Good CO's will try to rectify the issue, bad CO's will punish people who say they desire to leave the Navy.

But if you're going to get out anyway, is anyone else going to see your evals?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 01, 2010, 07:18 »
To help you out, the maintenance billets are separate from instructor billets, and you have to do a full sea tour before you can go to them. It's a pretty good deal, although if you want to stay in or go into the ops area as a civilian, probably not your best choice for shore duty. I think NPTU Charleston has two EM billets in Repair Dept. and NY is probably similar. One is for a nuclear planner, so you haveto go to the school first or en route, and the other is PMT, I think. By the way, this is what I did for my first shore duty.

My understanding is they rotate staff through Off-Crew at Prototype, but, having never been there, I don't know for sure.

I think the only thing you forgot on your list was Recruiting, but if you don't like the navy, stay away from that, as you will most likely be miserable. However, if you don't mind the navy but don't like nuclear navy, you'll be fine there. I have some friends that went that route and love their job now.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?