Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu A few transition question going from boot camp to A School

Author Topic: A few transition question going from boot camp to A School  (Read 3118 times)

nwarren2

I am going to be a proud Navy Nike wife when my husband leaves this fall for camp.  But I have a few basic questions.
1) I have looked at base family housing and some floor plans, but did not see a back Yard.  I have two dogs, do they exist or not?
2) We don't know how we are moving over there.  Can I have the Navy move us or do we have to move ourselves?
3) Who do I get in touch with about moving? Can I start before my husband gets out of boot camp or do i have to wait till he is already at the base?

Please help as much as you can!

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Try this:

http://www.militaryonesource.com

Good luck and God bless you.

P.S.  Housing has changed in Charleston since I left there in 2001, but you should be able to have a backyard; though depending on where you live, it may be pretty small.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
A lot of the base housing in Charlseton is set up kind of in a circle facing outward, with the backs to a common area where they may have a playground or something like.  If you have dogs, and want to install a fence, you'll have to submit a plan, with a drawing, for approval to base housing.  The part I can't quite remember is whether they make you remove it when you leave, or if you can leave it.

It's a good place to live... Friendships are formed fast, people get together for BBQs, etc...  Mostly a very friendly environment.

Welcome to the club!

Bill

Samabby

Nwarren, even if your man doesn't go Boats, this is a great site for you. See the area set up for Goose Creek- lots of young ladies eager to make your transition go a little better. Good luck

www.submarinewivesclub.org

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
1.  There are large yards behind the houses.  If you are lucky enough to get a new house, you won't be able to put up a fence.  If you are put in one of the old or rennovated houses, you can install a chain-link fence at your own cost with approval from the housing office.

2.  The Navy can move you or you can move yourselves.  Your husband will have to attend a HHG (household goods) brief before anything can be planned.

3.  You will have to wait until your husband gets out of boot camp (unless you move into town with your own money).  They'll give him all the information he needs once he gets to Charleston and help him with all the paperwork.  He may even be able to take a week of leave to help with the move (at least several married guys in my husband's A school class did.)

Here's the website for the housing office:
http://nwscharlestonhomes.com/defaultFamily.aspx?cid=53

The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?