Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu San Onofre Construction Workers Sought for History Project honeypot

Author Topic: San Onofre Construction Workers Sought for History Project  (Read 7193 times)

Mack

Seeking fitters/welders/plumbers who worked at San Onofre (SONGS) during the period of initial construction of Units 1, 2 or 3; the period of time is 1964 through 1985.  This is for an oral history project to record and preserve histories of the people who did this work.  Results to be archived in university and possibly turned into research papers and/or books.  Interviews are being conducted in person or by phone at our cost.  If interested in this project please contact backwage@aol.com.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:48 by BeerCourt »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
could possibly be a networking opportunity...

http://sanonofreinourownwords.blogspot.com/

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
My gut tells me that the contact email address 'backwages@aol.com' speaks more to the true intent.

I did a search on the address and he is an active member of the Library Union in California, but his posts elsewhere seem constructive not inflammatory. I believe his stated goal is just what he says. I also think that this may be an interesting history project depending on the slant applied. I worked there in that period, for a brief time, and it was a unique environment compared to the construction of other nuke plants. One of the electricians working there was also the Mayor of a town in Mexico (yes he was there legally) the badges were color coded so that non English speaking workers were always with an English speaking worker who could read the warning signs and postings, San Onofre is bounded by the Marine Corp base on one side and San Onofre State park on the other, and it is only a couple of miles from Nixon's old home in San Clemente. When I rode my bicycle into work along the trails from San Clemente to San Onofre power station I frequently passed by the flood of illegals that funneled between the shore and the Marine base.
   If it is kept to just the facts, then an interesting story of San Onofre's construction can be told.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:51 by Marlin »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Hey hey hey now...... I'm just the guy pushing the dim sum cart of food-for-thought....

Mack

I would have thought that anyone who wondered about this project would take the time to email me to find out more information.  Well, here it is:  There isn't any.  I'm simply trying to record the life stories of people who have worked for the nuclear industry and happened to be members of the United Association.  If a person worked on San Onofre's initial stages they would be about retirement age now.  Many have passed away.  If nothing is done we will have no personal record of the people who actually did the labor on these projects.  These recordings take about an hour to make and perhaps four to type.  I'm not making any money on this but it is a good deal of fun.  I have heard what it is like to work in a containment vessel; learned how a person can work twelve-hour days for weeks on end; heard how hard life is for a traveler living in a cheap motel while putting together a nuke plant far from home.  All very interesting and too valuable to lose forever.  Drop a note if you want to hear more.  It's on my dime.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?