Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ROTC scholarship, already in boot camp

Author Topic: ROTC scholarship, already in boot camp  (Read 2564 times)

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
ROTC scholarship, already in boot camp
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:01 »
"Advice needed: My son applied for the ROTC program last fall, was told he didn't get in, left for bootcamp April 13 and was advised to reapply next Fall. Lo and behold, we got a call today that he has been accepted to a college in Baton Rouge, LA for a full scholorship in the ROTC program!! We are so excited for him, but now have to try to get the word to him! He graduates from bootcamp on June 4 - less than two weeks away. Has anyone had this happen to them and was it difficult for them to switch gears. He thinks he's staying in Great Lakes for A School as of right now. How hard is it going to be to get his orders changed?"

A parent on another site has a son in this situation.  I'm not sure, but, my take would be that this young man may be a victim of some extremely bad timing.  Anyone?   

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: ROTC scholarship, already in boot camp
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:09 »
Selection for an officer program trumps being enlisted.  He may have to finish boot camp, but if he has an NROTC scholarship, he will be released from Active Duty to attend school.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:57 »
Thank you Gamecock!  I'll pass the information along.

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:11 »
This happened to someone from my boot camp division in very much the same way.  He found out in boot camp that he had been selected, but it wasn't until about three months into "A" School (he was an ET student) that he got plucked out.  If your son has things happen the same way, he'll be treated like a normal recruit/student until that giant hand comes down from the sky and takes him away.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?