Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Operators with history of cancer? honeypot

Author Topic: Operators with history of cancer?  (Read 4123 times)

clcartwr

Operators with history of cancer?
« on: May 24, 2010, 08:37 »
I recently had an offer from TVA for the SGPO position at Browns Ferry.  Did my medical today and at the end of everything the nurse practitioner told me that I may not be eligible for hire since I had a history of cancer.  She said I could do the training but would not be able to work my way up to a "solo" operator because of NRC regulations and TVA doesn't like to hire if they know I cannot complete the "ladder."  How true is this and what are the stipulations?  I was diagnosed at age 22 and am now 25 and have been clear since.

As for the "solo" operator does that mean that I could never apply for my operator license or just move up to SRO etc?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Operators with history of cancer?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 08:56 »
It boils down to: Does the pre-employment physical show that you medically would be unable to perform the essential duties of the position as listed in the position description?

If yes, life is cruel, but that is why employers have pre-employment physical exams.

If no, then under the ADA of 1990 and other laws and precedents....EEOC has gotten involved in some of these issues. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/threshold.html#2-II-B-8

Disclosure: I'm not a sea-lawyer, I just play one online!  ;)

clcartwr

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38 »
I passed my physical with flying colors.......

debib

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:51 »
Hello,

Congratulations and I'm sure that is a relief.

Debib

clcartwr

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:55 »
Well I passed my physical but they have a hold on my hiring in HR until they figure out what to do about the history of cancer.....

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?