Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu degree + 10yrs IT in defense industry

Author Topic: degree + 10yrs IT in defense industry  (Read 7769 times)

janad98

degree + 10yrs IT in defense industry
« on: May 25, 2010, 11:30 »
I have a bachelors in Mathematics, and Computer Science; 10 yrs doing system administration, network/ software/ hardware, facility design, with DOD contractor. Would the nuke industry have any use for me? I am relocating to another state which has quite a bit of nuke jobs... ??? I'm moving for personal reasons, and am open to challenging my brain in a new field...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: degree + 10yrs IT in defense industry
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 11:40 »
All Nuclear Plants have an IT department... some small, some large. It all depends on where you are. I know that Constellation (Maryland) is looking for an IT Network type right now. Go to your new local utility's website and do a job search.

Good luck.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

janad98

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 11:47 »
thanks! will do.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 12:53 »
Understand that there are actually 2 types of IT at a nuclear plant.  The first is the typical corporate stuff.  The second is the group that deals with the actual plant computers/software, which are typically managed completely separate from the corporate stuff, due to all sorts of IT security rules and requirements.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 09:47 »
Understand that there are actually 2 types of IT at a nuclear plant.  The first is the typical corporate stuff.  The second is the group that deals with the actual plant computers/software, which are typically managed completely separate from the corporate stuff, due to all sorts of IT security rules and requirements.

In most plants the 'corporate stuff' belong to IT and the plant process computers (and software) belong to Engineering. If you don't have an Engineering Degree, you don't play with the process computers. The OP has a network-type background and would likely only be allowed in the IT arena.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2010, 10:09 »

If so, it seems remarkably short-sighted to exclude engineers with CS, physics, or math degrees.

Sadly, nuclear has struggled through for 30+ years without visionaries such as yourself.

Speaking of jumping to conclusions, the previous post mentioned process computers as having the engineering background requirement. Do you know what a process computer is or does? Can you think of a reason why Boolean algebra or Michio Kaku's string theory might not apply to our coding needs?

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #6 on: Jun 05, 2010, 10:10 »
Well, as the famous computer scientist Edsger Dijkstra (What?  You've never heard of him?) once said, "Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."  In essence, he's saying that a CS degree is more concerned with the theory of computing.

From Wikipedia:
The relationship between computer science and software engineering is a contentious issue, which is further muddied by disputes over what the term "software engineering" means, and how computer science is defined. David Parnas, taking a cue from the relationship between other engineering and science disciplines, has claimed that the principal focus of computer science is studying the properties of computation in general, while the principal focus of software engineering is the design of specific computations to achieve practical goals, making the two separate but complementary disciplines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_science
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2010, 10:11 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2010, 11:02 »
In most plants the 'corporate stuff' belong to IT and the plant process computers (and software) belong to Engineering. If you don't have an Engineering Degree, you don't play with the process computers. The OP has a network-type background and would likely only be allowed in the IT arena.

I am still trying to figure out how that is a 'blanket statement.' "In most plants" and "would likely" seem to be some pretty big holes for a blanket... maybe you meant a Snuggie®. That is sort of like a blanket with holes added (or is that removed? Nah, has to be added because of the sleeves.)

As for the need for an Engineering degree -- anything that affects or may affect the reactor (particularly reactor power) requires an engineering degree of some sort. Process computers do that. So, you may not need the degree to write the code, but you do to ensure that the reactor is not adversely affected by what you write. Thus, process computer = engineer. And, yes that is a simplified description of a complex concept.

I seriously doubt anyone's feelings were hurt by your comment. But nukes are very intolerant of people that make statements or jump to conclusions based on a lack of knowledge of the subject at hand.

You are right that I am not an expert in process computers...

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jun 13, 2010, 03:29 »
 Now I know which topic to be a troll about if I ever again have the desire.

And doubtless make the same impression!

Anyhoo, when exploring a new topic where there are real experts and I haven't dubbed myself to be their peer or superior (ahem), I like to read and learn from THEIR experience. Why try to reinvent the wheel or get stuck in a 'do loop' of one's own creation ;)

A much better discussion on the ME vs. SE vs. CS without a lot of BS is here:

http://www.coderanch.com/t/27348/Jobs/careers/CS-Degree-vs-SE-Degree

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?