Career Path > Navy:Staying In
STA 21 program
<< < (4/6) > >>
goobs22xx:
Right now, there is actually lots of time to volunteer while you're on T-Track due to the logjams in the pipeline. When I was at NSI (so I am someone who has been selected and not just passing on info) two months ago, a significant number of the students who were selected in the pipeline had the Volunteer ribbon because NNPTC allowed them to count hours that they did while on duty (instead of sweeping the building for 6 straight hours like we did). I hear that the new Master Chief cut that scam out, though, so who knows?

Does NR care? Probably not. I don't know how much pull the selection board has since NR has to "approve" all the selectees (or they prescreen them, I don't remember). However, it certainly doesn't hurt and if you're not selected, it will look good for whatever board you're up for later (Chief, LDO, CWO). The Navy desperately wants Nukes to play in the reindeer games but I don't know how far reaching those desires are.

As an aside, I'm still chuckling at the guy who knows everything about the history of the people in the nuke program based on his "experience" in nuke school and reading internet message boards. It is absolutely hysterical that you can insult generations of operators who have actually done something of significance. I do hope that you continue your trend of elitism and that your attitude "serves you well" in the future....

But seriously, you're screwed.
HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: Fast Neutron on May 31, 2010, 09:27 ---  There can't possibly be a lower quality program in place now than there was when they were in.  I can tell there are fail-safes against everything here.  They know what mistakes students and instructors will make and are ready to prevent them. 
--- End quote ---

Kinda like exams on the Truman, right shipper?

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22286.msg116145.html#msg116145
jlloyd:
is it likely that you could get picked up for another program other than sta-21 while in the nuc school pipeline?
DDMurray:
I don't think so, except for maybe OCS.  My son's ship out date was moved because he's putting in an OCS package.  My advice to him was to put in the package now because once he starts training, it will be more difficult.  I've seen a few nukes get OCS for Supply/Intel, but this was after they had some time on the "big pond" to demonstrate excellent performance outside of school (civilian and Navy).
MMM:
If your son has a degree already, which he has to if he's applying to OCS, he's not eligible for STA-21. If he doesn't have a degree, he can go for STA-21 or the USNA during the pipeline. Also, if you want to be a nuke officer, your school choices are even more limited than for anything else, except maybe nurse.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version