Career Path > Navy:Staying In
STA 21 program
<< < (5/6) > >>
DDMurray:

--- Quote from: MMM on Jul 10, 2010, 01:16 ---If your son has a degree already, which he has to if he's applying to OCS, he's not eligible for STA-21. If he doesn't have a degree, he can go for STA-21 or the USNA during the pipeline. Also, if you want to be a nuke officer, your school choices are even more limited than for anything else, except maybe nurse.

--- End quote ---

I was responding to jlloyd.  I'd forgotten about USNA. 
MMM:
There are fairly strict requirements for USNA, though. I think you have to be 25ish when you receive your commission, have no dependents and be sponsored by your Senator or Congressman, although in the navy, you can get sponsored by the SECNAV, I believe.
jlloyd:
Thanks for the info but I apologize I meant to ask is it likely that you could get picked up for another option other than nuclear for sta-21 while in NUC school?
MMM:
It depends. I know a few years ago the CO would give a crappy recommendation to anybody not wanting to stay in nuclear power, but he should be gone by now. Other than that I don't think it would be an issue. Remember you can only apply for two choices, Core and a specialty (i.e. Nuclear, SWO, Pilot, etc).
jlloyd:
O ok thanks for clearing that up, I pretty much thought that who your CO is had a lot to do with something like that.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version