Career Path > Navy:Staying In
STA 21 program
<< < (2/6) > >>
MMM:
In the instruction I posted, it lists what is considered a Technical Degree and Non-Technical Degree, not all of the Technical ones are Engineering. I think you can also go with the Math-Science Technical Degree.
Duchess:

--- Quote from: MMM on May 27, 2010, 10:27 ---In the instruction I posted, it lists what is considered a Technical Degree and Non-Technical Degree, not all of the Technical ones are Engineering. I think you can also go with the Math-Science Technical Degree.

--- End quote ---

It's pretty funny how they take the time to define Technical, Math-Science Technical, and Non-Technical majors then only use one definition for one educational requirement for one option.

The only two options that seem to have fixed requirements are CEC and Nuke.  The nuke option is the only option that actually uses a defined degree classification per the instruction (CEC is much more narrowly defined).  The nuke option looks like you can only take Technical Majors (since it doesn't specifically say Technical and Math-Science Technical majors). Do technical majors include the Technical Major and Math-Science Technical majors?  If so, why not just lump them all in under technical major since the Math-Science Technical major definition is referenced no where else in the instruction.  The only reason I can see for that delineation is to define the term Technical Major that is used in the education requirements for the nuclear option.  I guess it really just depends on how literally one interprets the instruction. 

Needless to say, it looks different than I remember and the instruction seems vague in places.  Make sure to ask a lot of questions...Good luck.
JonK:
I have yet to go to basic (leaving Wednesday), but I would like to add that it might also be beneficial to do some volunteer work during the nuke pipeline if you can find time. Anything to make yourself stand out from your peers in a good way always helps. Volunteering for leadership positions is another common suggestion to people wanting to become officers. If you don't get picked up in the pipeline then it wouldn't hurt you to take some classes when you have time to further boost your chances as well. I know men are automatic subvol when they sign that paper. Given current policy changes, women may end up becoming subvols as well. This is just what I have gathered from reading several different forum topics on the matter. I hope it helps.

One thing I haven't been able to understand about STA-21 is when exactly you have to apply to college. I've yet to see that explicitly stated. Is it before or after you submit your STA-21 packet? I'm not sure if I want to attempt to submit one or not while in pipeline. I'm waiting until I actually get in there and see what it is like before I go planning that far ahead, but I have been looking at STA-21 just in case. At any rate, best of luck on your application, Shipmate!

Neutron_Herder:

There's no time to do volunteer work while you're in the pipeline.  At least not if you want to do it right.  Becoming a nuke, and then becoming a GOOD nuke is a full time job.

If you want to join to become an officer, then go to college and try the NUPOC program or OCS.  Don't enlist with the intention of becoming an officer. 

The best way to stand out from your peers is to have the best grade in the class...  Not to be middle of the road in grades with a bunch of volunteer crap on top of it.  Nukes are a different breed, and to be successful will take all of your time.

I know that right now the Nuclear Navy is on a big kick to make sure that nukes are a part of "Big Navy", but it really can't last much longer.  Eventually the people who actually understand the plant are going to retire, and all that's going to be left is a bunch of morons trying to figure out who's going to fix the plant around all of their collateral duties, volunteer work, etc....  That just means that the plant will be broke for longer because no one really knows how to fix it.  Enlist, learn your trade well, and be the one people call when something breaks.  It will be rewarded.

HydroDave63:

--- Quote from: JonK on May 30, 2010, 10:58 ---I have yet to go to basic ... This is just what I have gathered from reading several different forum topics on the matter. I hope it helps.

--- End quote ---

Virtually everything you "gathered" from several topics was incorrect. How about leaving the advice to those who successfully made the STA-21 leap or are involved in officer programs?!? Bad advice is harmful and distracts the future reader from the correct answer.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version