Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Thomas Edison Degrees honeypot

Author Topic: Thomas Edison Degrees  (Read 20547 times)

em1

Thomas Edison Degrees
« on: Aug 23, 2004, 09:59 »
I am a 19 1/2  yr. Navy Nuclear Electrician ready to get out.  I have a Bachelors in Business and just finished my MBA, but want something techincal under my belt.  Does the Thomas Edison State College Nuclear Technology Degree have any weight with Nuclear plants if you want to be in operations ?(ie SRO,AUX OPS, SRO).  It is not ABET accredited, but I don't want to be an engineer. I can utilize all my Nuclear Power technical credits and General Ed credits from my business degree and have about 5 classes to complete it.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Thomas Edison Degrees
« Reply #1 on: Aug 23, 2004, 11:10 »
From the research I did there are only two accredited Nuclear Reactor Technology Bachelors programs per TAC of ABET: Thomas Edison and Excelsior. Get the 2 calculus and 2 physics-based calculus courses and you qualify for Shift Technical Advisor (STA) in commercial nukes. This is what OPS looks at to determine if you have a "real" degree.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

em1

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2004, 07:33 »
Hi Roll Tide --Thanks for responding.  I investigated earlier and found out Thomas Edison is not ABET accredited, but Excelsior is.  Also, the Physics courses from Thomas Edison are only algebra-based not calculus- based.  That is why I am wondering if the Thomas Edison degree will help me get an operator job quicker and move up quicker---or because it is not ABET it is not worth my time. ???

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2004, 06:24 »
Hi Roll Tide --Thanks for responding.  I investigated earlier and found out Thomas Edison is not ABET accredited, but Excelsior is.  Also, the Physics courses from Thomas Edison are only algebra-based not calculus- based.  That is why I am wondering if the Thomas Edison degree will help me get an operator job quicker and move up quicker---or because it is not ABET it is not worth my time. ???

The real question is if you have the calculus-based physics, not if it was required. You could have a bachelor's that didn't say "nuclear" or "engineering" and still qualify for STA. Some companies only hire for Senior Reactor Operator (SRO) class those who meet STA criteria.
It wouldn't matter much for getting your foot in the door as NLO / Auxiliary Operator, but would be a consideration if you are trying to move in at a higher level.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

em1

« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2004, 07:51 »
Roll Tide -I understand--I will go through with the TE Degree(includes Calc 1&2) since I only need 4 classes and I could always take 2 calculus- based physics courses later if need to (ie STA opportunities)  Thanks for the info!!

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2004, 06:38 »
Roll Tide -I understand--I will go through with the TE Degree(includes Calc 1&2) since I only need 4 classes and I could always take 2 calculus- based physics courses later if need to (ie STA opportunities)  Thanks for the info!!

That can be an expensive decision. I have the BS without calc-based physics. I cannot just go get the additional classes and then be eligible for STA. Most plants require your transcript upon graduation to show the classes. That means paying for another degree! (Not a problem, as long as you expect it.) Also, it is like pulling teeth to get GI Bill for undergraduate classes when you already have a BS.

em1

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2004, 11:10 »
Roll Tide --OK understand--Last question---so, in your opinion, will getting this Thomas Edison Degree help advancing up to Licensed Reactor Operator any quicker or get me hired any quicker? (it has calc 1 and 2 but no calculus-based physics) considering that I have a MBA already and am a nuke anyway??

thanks

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2004, 06:48 »
Roll Tide --OK understand--Last question---so, in your opinion, will getting this Thomas Edison Degree help advancing up to Licensed Reactor Operator any quicker or get me hired any quicker? (it has calc 1 and 2 but no calculus-based physics) considering that I have a MBA already and am a nuke anyway??

thanks

Since you have an MBA, the BS from TESC without calc-based physics will mean nothing. (Just my opinion, you could shoot a PM to Fermi2 and see what he thinks.)

I would wait until I could get the additional credits (I think Excelsior has the classes externally, but I am not sure) to graduate with the BS.

em1

« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2004, 01:22 »
Yep--Human Resources at Palo Verde confirms TE useless with existing MBA and being a Navy Nuke.  How do I "shoot a PM to Fermi2"?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2004, 05:09 »
Yep--Human Resources at Palo Verde confirms TE useless with existing MBA and being a Navy Nuke.  How do I "shoot a PM to Fermi2"?

Go here: http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=4575  and click on send this member a Personal Message. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

em1

« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2004, 06:27 »
Ok--I did it---I'm new to this --Thanx

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2004, 07:19 »
Ok--I did it---I'm new to this --Thanx

That's what we're here for.  Someone had to tell me too at one time.  We just pass it along.  Welcome to Nukeworker. 

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

capper

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2004, 09:33 »
With your other qualifications I don't know how much of a difference it will make getting a job in ops.  However, it will help with advancement.  We have at least 4 STAs/SROs who only have the TESC degree.  With only needing 4/5 classes to complete it, I would think you can't go wrong, and it will never hurt you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?