Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hell exothermic or endothermic  

Author Topic: Hell exothermic or endothermic  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Hell exothermic or endothermic
« on: Nov 01, 2001, 06:56 »
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic?

This was an "Actual Question" given on a University of Washington chemistry midterm.

"Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?
Support your answer with proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time.
So, we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving.

I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.
Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell.
Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for temperature and the pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added.
This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until All Hell breaks loose.

2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms Therese Banyan during my Freshman year, "That it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in that area, then (2) cannot be true, and so Hell is exothermic.

This student got the only A.

moodusjack

Re: Hell exothermic or endothermic
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2002, 12:05 »
Hell has been defined as a place or condition that hurts the most, or causes the most pain and suffering.

I conclude that hell is IP2, which is exanthemic (causes skin eruptions or boils).

Eric_Holtz

« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2002, 12:41 »
 Would not hell have to exist for such a theory to be to tested?  ???
 But if hell does exist, in the largley accepted meaning, being ones soul would go to hell, how can it be exanthemic
(causing skin eruptions and or boils)?  ;)

moodusjack

« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2002, 02:19 »
I have presented a description of hell consistent with the premise of this thread.  The term exanthemic was used abstractly to connote the torment of the loathsome kind experienced by this soul (term also used abstractly) at one point in time at the locale described.  Purely metaphoric.

As to the question regarding physical torment or manifestations to a soul vis-a-vis a body, I ask then why would hell have a temperature anyway?

Eric_Holtz

« Reply #4 on: Jun 13, 2002, 09:46 »
   Kudos to moodusjack... ;D

moodusjack

« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2002, 08:27 »
Thanks to you both!

DainJer

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2002, 11:04 »
The temperature of Heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is Isaiah 30:26, "Moreover, the light of the Moon shall be as the light of the Sun and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days." Thus Heaven receives from the Moon as much radiation as we do from the Sun, and in addition 7*7 (49) times as much as the Earth does from the Sun, or 50 times in all. The light we receive from the Moon is one 1/10,000 of the light we receive from the Sun, so we can ignore that ... The radiation falling on Heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation, i.e., Heaven loses 50 times as much heat as the Earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law for radiation, (H/E)^4 = 50, where E is the absolute temperature of the earth (-300K), gives H as 798K (525C). The exact temperature of Hell cannot be computed ... [However] Revelations 21:8 says "But the fearful, and unbelieving ... shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." A lake of molten brimstone means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, 444.6C. We have, then, that Heaven, at 525C is hotter than Hell at 445C.
-- From "Applied Optics" vol. 11, A14, 1972

Offline Rain Man

• Very Heavy User
  • Constants aren't, variables won't.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2002, 08:32 »
DainJer, you're a carpenter and came up with that.  I'm impressed.  Dad always told me "Never trust anyone who pounds nails with his head."  Goes to show you that Dad wasn't always right.
"Giving power and money to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenaged boys." -P.J. O'Rourke

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt instruments"  -Lester B. Pearson

DainJer

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2002, 09:49 »
lol Rain Man  as well as a carpenter im a lover of information...im self taught in 4 computer languages...was at war at 17 yrs old...have drafted and copyrighted 6 home plans...am currently raising 4 kids...going back to college for Computer Aided Mechanical Design in Jan.
To live life static is like hitting a home run and stopping at second base.
everything in nature grows...so should we as a person

and never forget Jesus was a carpenter  :o ;D

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2002, 12:32 »
:o WOW all that reading from DainJers post makes a person think.  For instance, Since Jesus was raised in the carpentry trade, did he feel remorse when he was shaping a peice of wood from his original creation to be something useful in mans creation? I also wonder if hHe was a good carpenter or just soso?.

What do you think?

DainJer

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2002, 04:02 »
Maybe thats why he chose Carpentry....to see one beautiful creation spawn another from one of your (man) creations hands...imagination from your own children is the most wonderful thing in the world. as far as being a good carpenter...his family had a history of creating some
pretty complex things...im sure he could hold his own.

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2002, 07:19 »
Probably Right.  After all it is like watching your kid make something or catch his first fish. Saw my daughter play the piano at church once.  She was only 8 and you could not see her behind the grand piano.  People were shocked when they saw this little girl come out from behind the piano, run off the stage and jump into my arms. just a little shy.  Made my heart swell with happiness.

rlbinc

« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2002, 06:29 »
I don't know about Hell, but I remember an Ops Boss who once said...

"I want the Control Room to be a Church-like atmosphere."

We wondered if that was because he knew we were all praying to get out...

I still thank Jesus for getting me out of there.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?