Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Just got out honeypot

Author Topic: Just got out  (Read 6349 times)

Bigjes

Just got out
« on: Jun 15, 2010, 04:39 »
Hello forum,
     I have a couple questions and I believe this is the best place to start. I just got out of the Navy after about 9 years. I got out with an honorable discharge. I decided I wanted to take advantage of the wonderful new MGIB to get my EE. I am currently enrolled at the University of Colorado in the EE program. I am looking for something that I can do during the summer and while I am taking classes. I have thought about something simple as in Home Depot, or something of that nature. My only problem with that is I would like to keep getting as much experience  as possible that will actually be beneficial once I graduate. To wrap it up I would like some suggestions on where people would look and maybe some fields I might not have thought about. If this was already posted somewhere I apologize now, and thanks in advance.
Bigjes

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
Re: Just got out
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2010, 07:49 »
You can also do undergrad research for a professor in the EE department.  It's probably too late to apply for a fellowship, but it will still look good on a resume. 
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2010, 08:23 »
You can also do undergrad research for a professor in the EE department.  It's probably too late to apply for a fellowship, but it will still look good on a resume. 

My experience with this is that you have the potential to be taken advantage of by some professor.  I've seen guys work 80+ hours/ week doing mundane tasks around the lab and not actually doing much useful research. 

I second what Mell said....look into internships.  It might even help you find a job when you graduate.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

oceansidehigh

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2010, 08:41 »
Hi, first post for me  :)

I'm an ET2 who's getting out in just about 90 days. I didn't get a straight answer from the ESO earlier and this is the best opportunity to ask: when you got out, did you have to sign up for the Post 9/11 GI Bill or did it automatically swap over? I don't plan on getting into college immediately but if I have to actively change from the MGIB, I don't want to get blindsided by that requirement next semester.

Thanks

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2010, 09:47 »
My experience with this is that you have the potential to be taken advantage of by some professor.  I've seen guys work 80+ hours/ week doing mundane tasks around the lab and not actually doing much useful research. 

Completely true!  I was lucky enough to have an advisor who encouraged me to do actual research instead of just washing glassware, but others spent the summer sweeping floors.  I only suggested it because I'm not sure how long it takes to apply for and be accepted into an internship.  Since it's already summer semester at most places, I thought I would through out another option.   ;D
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Samabby

« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2010, 10:54 »
Are summer classes available? If so, plow right through to get finished quicker.

Bigjes

« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2010, 05:53 »
I just got accepted. I first had to do a year at Northern Colorado to prove myself a good enough student. High school was about chicks and football. School at 29 is a lot different then 19. I probably wouldn't have finished if I went at 19 though.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?