Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu VC Summer Units 2 & 3

Author Topic: VC Summer Units 2 & 3  (Read 20579 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
VC Summer Units 2 & 3
« on: Jun 16, 2010, 02:15 »
South Carolina Electric & Gas (SCE&G) submitted to obtain a combined license (COL) for two Westinghouse Advanced Passive 1000 (AP1000) pressurized-water reactors (PWRs) designated as Virgil C. Summer Nuclear Station, Units 2 & 3.

On March 27, 2008, South Carolina Electric & Gas applied to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) for a Combined Construction and Operating License (COL) to build two 1,100 MW AP1000 pressurized water reactors at the site. On May 27, 2008, SCE&G and Santee Cooper announced an engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) contract had been reached with Westinghouse. Costs are estimated to be approximately $9.8 billion for both AP1000 units, plus transmission facility and financing costs. The operators are filing an application to increase customers bills by $1.2 billion (2.5%) during the construction period to partially finance capital costs. Presuming that the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) issues the construction licenses in 2011, SCE&G plans to bring the first of the new units online in 2016, with the second in 2019.

Source: http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-reactors/col/summer.html
Source: http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/new-reactors/col/summer/documents.html
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgil_C._Summer_Nuclear_Generating_Station
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2010, 02:53 by Rennhack »

mostlyharmless

Re: VC Summer Units 2 & 3
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2010, 07:47 »
Love it. I worked VC years ago, lot of good folks there. How bout the rest of the new nukes? Vogtle is still rolling with theirs.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2010, 12:31 »

dgielow

« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 06:48 »
dose any one know who is going to be  doing the work at 2 &3? Who is the onsite contractor ?  ANY ONE
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011, 07:17 by dgielow »

Offline redline

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2011, 10:16 »
Those units are gonna sell real cheap when Duke buys the parent company for what they have invested in their new units!

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:30 »
Santee Cooper was looking to sell their 45% interest in Units 2 and 3. Duke might just be a suitor.

Offline cairnit

• Moderate User
  • I love my job........
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2012, 07:54 »
Anything new about the new units? They hiring welders yet?

HeavyD

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2012, 08:03 »
I would check the website for job opportunities.

As far as welders, we are not hiring any maintenance type personnel at this time.  Looking at going on-line sometime in 2016, if I recall correctly, for Unit 2.

Shaw is the construction company building the new units.  THEY may be hiring construction welders, but again, I'm not sure.

Best of luck to ya :)

Offline leavingreality

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2013, 12:16 »
Anything new on the new plants? Say potential hiring dates for in-house operations/RP?

I've heard rumors they were supposed to start hiring RP this coming spring, but then the start-ups got pushed back. Didn't know if that pushed back hiring.

Anyone out there with an inside scoop?

HeavyD

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:45 »
As far as has been communicated to us, we will continue posting positions for Maintenance, Operators, Technical (Chemistry and maybe HP), and Security in the coming year.

No specifics on numbers or anything like that.

Keep checking the corporate site.

Offline leavingreality

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2013, 05:00 »
As far as has been communicated to us, we will continue posting positions for Maintenance, Operators, Technical (Chemistry and maybe HP), and Security in the coming year.

No specifics on numbers or anything like that.

Keep checking the corporate site.
Trust me. I'm checking every week. I'm a VY casualty so I've got some time, but Summer would be ideal.

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2014, 01:44 »
Here's the link to the briefs from NEI's RP Forum last month. Moses Coleman briefed the projected hiring plans and dates for VC Summers.

http://www.nei.org/Conferences/Conference-Archives/Radiation-Protection-Health-Physics-Archives

Hope it provides some helpful info.
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

SCMasterchef

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:59 »
All you guys looking to go to Summer for HP jobs better remember that the salaries in this part of the country are significantly, and I repeat, significantly lower than about 90% of the rest of the plants in the US.  The area is not that great and it is the south.

HeavyD

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2015, 09:41 »
Here's a short video WEC produced, showing one of Unit 2's Steam Generators on its trip from Charleston to the site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCoGsmDxl-c

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?