Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waiting for Med Papers honeypot

Author Topic: Waiting for Med Papers  (Read 4012 times)

DoorMatt

Waiting for Med Papers
« on: Jun 11, 2010, 04:32 »
I went to MEPS almost a month ago, but I couldn't enlist because I forgot to bring paperwork for a positive PPD test (TB) and completed INH regimen along with negative chest x-rays in August 2005. I got greenslipped and sent home to get more paperwork.

Because the condition isn't disqualifying, due to it being latent TB with approved chemoprophylaxis, do I need waivers or just someone to approve my medical paperwork?

If you guys need anymore info I'd be happy to divulge.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Waiting for Med Papers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2010, 05:20 »
Don't cough on me! ;)

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #2 on: Jun 11, 2010, 06:45 »
As best I can tell, you won't need a waiver. 

You just need to prove that you did, in fact, get the chemoprophylaxis.  As you said, it's not disqualifying.  I verified this with DoD Instruction 6130.03 (Medical Standards for Appointment, Enlistment, or Induction in the Military Services)
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/613003p.pdf

Pg 36
Individuals with a tuberculin reaction in accordance with ATS and United States Public Health Service (USPHS) guidelines are eligible for enlistment, induction, and appointment, provided they have received chemoprophylaxis in accordance with ATS and USPHS guidelines. A negative QuantiFERON®-TB Gold (QFT®-G) with a positive tuberculin skin test DOES meet the standard.

MEPS has a "show me the proof" policy, especially when it comes to personal / medical history.  They won't just take your word for any of it. 

Worst case scenario, you'll have to apply for a waiver (your recruiter should take care of that) and it will be easily approved.
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2010, 06:50 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

DoorMatt

« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2010, 07:16 »
Thanks for the info. I looked into in an Army standards for fitness PDF file and found some Navy guidelines, but nothing concrete. This seals it for me. I was wondering because I have medical records from my treating doctor detailing my INH prescription and neg x-rays, but I've been waiting to hear back because it's been quite a while and it's been rumored that waivers are hard to come by.

I'll try to keep my mouth covered, but I can't promise with the long navy nuke hours (potentially in my future) that there won't be a few coughs that slip out from behind yawns.  :-X

While I'm here, if my Basic Electronics (271 raw score) qualled me into the Nukes, would that mean I'm most likely to end up as an EM or ET?

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2010, 09:15 »
While I'm here, if my Basic Electronics (271 raw score) qualled me into the Nukes, would that mean I'm most likely to end up as an EM or ET?

Um...yeah. I'm not exactly sure.  The short answer is "definitely maybe." 

You might take a look at this posting, since it seems to be more informative than anything else I've seen.
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,24028.msg124126.html#msg124126
« Last Edit: Jun 11, 2010, 09:15 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

DoorMatt

« Reply #5 on: Jun 17, 2010, 03:17 »
Thanks for all of the info on the topic, and I wanted to give you all a quick update. I got my medical papers cleared and I'm going down to MEPS San Diego on Tuesday to sign my nuke contract and enter the DEP. Hopefully, I will get a DAR and ship out sooner than next year, but that's only after I get that contract.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?