Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bases
honeypot

Author Topic: Bases  (Read 9697 times)

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
Bases
« on: Jun 20, 2010, 10:26 »
I am currently in the DEP for the Nuclear Program, and was wondering which bases you can possibly be stationed at. If possible, could you differentiate between carrier and sub bases. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the brevity. I am typing with one hand while my daughter is falling asleep in my arms.

secon

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Bases
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2010, 10:54 »
I am currently in the DEP for the Nuclear Program, and was wondering which bases you can possibly be stationed at. If possible, could you differentiate between carrier and sub bases. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the brevity. I am typing with one hand while my daughter is falling asleep in my arms.

secon

Interactive map is here:

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=195

This is the sort of discussion you need to have with your recruiter before you ship.

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2010, 11:01 »
Interactive map is here:

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=195

This is the sort of discussion you need to have with your recruiter before you ship.

Do you know where I could find one that give the bases that non submarine nukes can be assigned to?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jun 20, 2010, 11:09 »
Look, if you need to be spoonfed, maybe nuke isn't for you. Not only does the link in the thread take you to an interactive webpage on the Navy's site, but on that page is another hyperlink that shows you every frickin ship and submarine that floats and its homeport. It is sorted by homeport.

You have 23 hours remaining to remediate this module  ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2010, 11:30 by HydroDave63 »

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Jun 21, 2010, 01:50 »
Do you know where I could find one that give the bases that non submarine nukes can be assigned to?
You don't need a map for Aircraft Carriers:
Norfolk, VA
Everett, WA
Yokosuka, Japan

As you type with your little one in your arms, you're going to find missing her to be your biggest challenges, but coming home to her a successful sailor one of your biggest rewards. 

Congrats and Good luck.

Co60

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2010, 07:23 »
Dave,

I just wasn't positive if there were other possible bases that Carrier nukes could be stationed to. I had not only visit that page multiple times, but had also browsed the list of homeports for all of the Carriers. I was just hoping for some more information, hence I asked here.

Co60

Thank you very much. I had heard that list but wanted to make sure those were my possible options.

If anyone else has more information that could be deemed useful, feel free to respond.

secon

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 21, 2010, 10:25 »
You don't need a map for Aircraft Carriers:
Norfolk, VA
Everett, WA
Yokosuka, Japan

As you type with your little one in your arms, you're going to find missing her to be your biggest challenges, but coming home to her a successful sailor one of your biggest rewards.  

Congrats and Good luck.

Co60

San Diego as well.

But judging from the orders I've seen coming out of prototype, if you are surface, there's a good chance you'll be going to Norfolk.  (Of course, that could change in the 2+ years it will take you to make it through the pipeline.)

As far as listening to your recruiter about duty stations, mine told my parents I could be stationed at Pax River as a nuke, so you might want to take anything he says with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2010, 10:28 by KUrunner »
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Jun 21, 2010, 10:32 »
Thank you very much. I had heard that list but wanted to make sure those were my possible options.

If anyone else has more information that could be deemed useful, feel free to respond.
When I joined in the 80s, I didn't have an Internet or a helpful recruiter.   I walked in asking about Officer Programs and left (a few days later) signed up as an Enlisted Nuke.  (Yes, I was commissioned years later, but for me, I'm glad I experienced both Enlisted and Officer.)  I volunteered for submarines and had no clue what they looked like, let alone where they were stationed.  I don't remember reading or seeing much in the 80s (i.e., Cold War) about America's #1 deterrent weapon.  I did have an above average understanding of our nearby nuclear power plant though.  All I knew is that I needed something different than "small hometown" and the Nuclear Navy was the answer.   I left Hometown USA, I learned, I matured, and I never looked back.  Best decision of my life...20+ years later.

So, to Dave's point you can see why some of us might be a little frustrated over questions that can easily be answered on the Internet (i.e., huge research tool).  As an addendum to Dave's homework assignment, you should be able to tell us where all the current CVN CO's went to college in about 15 minutes.   There is a TON of information for you to learn and you'll eventually get it all; however, I don't know where to begin (without you asking specific questions) other than this:  as a nuclear professional (for the rest of your life?) you're going to be expected to be technically curious, always asking questions, and digging for answers (e.g., technical manuals, drawings, infrequently used procedures, etc).   Consider all future instructors your "facilitators" or "guides" and put yourself in charge of your nuclear career.

One of the problems I see here is that it seems we have younger guys/gals that show up here, ask a question, get 30 replies but then only pick the one or two answers that they wanted to hear anyway. Their choice, but guard your decisions!  Choose who you listen to wisely and even then challenge the "status quo" (including your own assumptions) and be willing to learn a different opinion.   Personally, I spend more time pondering answers that I don't like than the one's that perfectly fit my question.  You'll find this type of logical reasoning will help you in the long run.

Co60

P.S.  How could I have forgotten San Diego?  Home of "Old Town", Lobster Tacos, and some of the best margaritas on the planet!  Thanks for the backup!  Jacksonville, FL will soon be on this list too.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 21, 2010, 10:39 »

P.S.  How could I have forgotten San Diego?  Home of "Old Town", Lobster Tacos, and some of the best margaritas on the planet!  Thanks for the backup!  Jacksonville, FL will soon be on this list too.

They're sending CVNs to Mayport?  I hadn't heard about that yet.  I wonder if people will still request Kings Bay.

co60slr

« Reply #9 on: Jun 21, 2010, 10:44 »
They're sending CVNs to Mayport?  I hadn't heard about that yet.  I wonder if people will still request Kings Bay.
Yep.  http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=41810

They'll need plenty of RCTs (et al) at both places.  I wouldn't complain with either one.

Co60

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2010, 10:45 »
I loved New London, CT.  Subs only there.  Hated Norfolk.  My brother spent a lot more time in/with the Navy than I did.  He did 8 years, but his wife stayed until retirement.  He was stationed almost everywhere from Roosevelt Roads, PR to Bremerton, WA.  According to what he told me last week, Washington is great if you like rain.  San Diego is the best place he ever lived.  Take it for what it's worth.  He's a little bit of a goofball.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jun 21, 2010, 12:01 »
I was stationed in Norfolk and loved it, but then again I'm from Virginia and it was nice to be near family.  Hubby doesn't get his orders for a few more months, but I'm pretty sure I'll cry if he gets sent to Kings Bay.  I hear there's nothing but a Wal-Mart unless you want to drive for an hour.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 21, 2010, 12:04 »
Yep.  http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=41810

Wow, that's over a year old.  Surprised I missed it. 

I know a couple people going through prototype right now who only requested Kings Bay because it's the closest duty station to Florida.

co60slr

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21, 2010, 02:19 »
I know a couple people going through prototype right now who only requested Kings Bay because it's the closest duty station to Florida.
Many people have done so for the same reasons for a few decades now.  Then, post-Navy many want NC, GA, SC, etc.  High supply, low demand = "hard to get".

Good luck,

Co60

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Jun 21, 2010, 06:35 »
Thank you for all of the information. I am sorry If it appeared as though I had not done research prior to asking the question. I had already looked at the homeports of all the carriers, but was unsure if there were any other bases I could be stationed at. You successfully answered that question. And my recruiter seems as helpful as yours seeing as I live almost an hour away and she won't return my emails and phone calls.
Once again, thank you for all of this information, and I will again apologize for my demeanor.

secon

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?