Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Is anyone here considering something non-nuclear related after leaving the navy? honeypot

Author Topic: Is anyone here considering something non-nuclear related after leaving the navy?  (Read 6557 times)

n2dasun

I got out as a nuke submarine Lieutenant in 2006 and went to work for a large construction company doing quality control on mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems. After I got laid off from that, I managed to land a managed to land a managerial position making good money working outside of nuclear power. I initially wanted to capitalize on my nuke experience and get another nuke job once I'd gotten laid off, but there are other jobs out there where they just love navy nukes.

Does anyone who left nuclear power regret it and wish they'd stuck with it?

Offline STF

• Light User
Yeah I wish I would have stayed out of the nuke world, the money is not worth most of the headaches that go along with "the nuclear way".  The money outside the nuke world is as good and not near the pain.

JustinHEMI05

Yeah I wish I would have stayed out of the nuke world, the money is not worth most of the headaches that go along with "the nuclear way".  The money outside the nuke world is as good and not near the pain.

Really? Can you link me a job that would pay me 160K my 3rd year in so I can get out?
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2010, 01:44 by JustinHEMI »

JsonD13

I would be more interested in knowing what STF does and who he/she works for.

Jason

Offline STF

• Light User
If you are willing to work shift work and be an ot hog, alot of manufacturing maintenance guys are doing 90k w/o trying and the real hogs will make 140k or more.  Besides I would rather make 70-80k or even more, with minimal headaches and idiocy than the same money or more with all the nonsense.

I do maintenance training at a region iv plant.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 10:39 by STF »

S3GLMS

I work as a design Engineer after obtaining My P.E. License after I left the Navy.  With a P.E. your starting salary without bonuses should be 85K.  With bonuses and specialty pay such as at a construction site where you would receive per diem and other allotments it rises to about 120K.  That would be at the 2-5 year Point after leaving the navy.  All of my work is Non-Nuclear now.  It still has requirements and building codes to follow but the pace is still more interesting than doing the same work forever for a utility that will not allow you to have a pension (I left Nuclear Power when they froze mine at Excel in 2001).  You can basically work in all 50 states if you work for alarge enough company that has contracts across the U.S.  I have worked in most of the states since 2002.
    As a manager in 1997 I was making 85K in a Paper mill managing the steam plant.  When I left that job to go back to Nuclear power I was earning 93K.  After I worked in Nuclear Power in 2001 to 2002 I realized I was not happy with the job I had and I have found other work that is intersting and in need of my services.  Private industry has alot to offer people who want to take on challenges and work hard, so do not just think Nuclear Power is the only avenue after the navy to obtain good employment.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?