Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear shipyard worker with questions
honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear shipyard worker with questions  (Read 5702 times)

nukeapprentice

Nuclear shipyard worker with questions
« on: Jun 23, 2010, 05:24 »
I have recently finished a Nuclear Test Technician Apprenticeship at the Newport News Shipyard. It involved three years testing Naval Nuclear Reactors with experience in test preparation, execution, writing procedures, and various other things to do with naval nuclear reactors. I have a 2 year degree in science with emphasis in Mechanical Engineering. I am interested in going into the commercial industry and wonder what I might need to do or could be qualified to do.

doctormoo

Re: Nuclear shipyard worker with questions
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2010, 05:39 »
call bartlett but if yu have a full time job id stay were i was these days

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2010, 05:47 »
Congratulations on knowing to leave the yard after training/min experience before you go broke! It looks like you have a nice career ahead of you with your training and experience. Newport News Shipbuilding provided a nice start to my career as well, I left in 92.

Contract RP type work is a great way to start seeing the commercial industry and building a network that will eventually land you where you want to be in the position you want to be in.

Good luck.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

mostlyharmless

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2010, 07:05 »
Perhaps you could take a look at the doe sites. Your background looks good and would appeal to the folks at the doe sites.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 07:07 by mostlyharmless »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2010, 10:53 »
I wasn't familiar with what 'Test Technicians' do, so...  

http://www.apprenticeschool.com/advanced5.html

"Nuclear Test Technicians perform an important role in the new construction and overhaul of naval nuclear ships. The Nuclear Test Technician (NTT) functions as the on-site representative of the Shift Test Engineer (STE). They oversee all elements of reactor plant testing and coordinate this testing with Trades, Inspection, Radiological Control, and NAVY personnel. Apprentice NTTs participate in a 3-year rotation plan that provides a variety of experiences across all shipboard platforms and disciplines. Initially reporting as an Electrical Test Engineer or Mechanical Test Engineer, each apprentice gets the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the other major test discipline, as well as rotations through the procedure writing, planning, technical support, and nuclear engineering training groups. By the end of their apprenticeship, individuals will have completed all aspects of required training and practical factors to put them in excellent position to transition into the STE Qualification Training Program."

Looks like you are oriented as much towards the mechanical side, as towards RadCon?  

Seems like your background might get you in the door doing valve testing, refueling, maintenance, system engineering, operations, rx engineering, or...?

Personally, I would shy away from RadCon (aka - RP/HP/RCT) if you can.  If you go RadCon, you will be limiting your choices further down the road.  Over the last 25 years, RadCon pay & availability-of-work has been very cyclical...right now it is on the up-swing, but...

Good luck!  :)

« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2010, 11:07 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?