Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu nuke mm...wondering what i should do about a degree.  

Author Topic: nuke mm...wondering what i should do about a degree.  (Read 4875 times)

woodrow33

Hello everyone, i was hoping i could get some advice from you.  I'll be frank.  I'm using the navy as a stepping stone only.  I am getting out at six years.  My ultimate plan is to pursue a degree in real estate development using the gi bill.  I've always been the entrepeneurial type.  Recently i injured my leg and am Limdu for the next six months and have a chance at using my TA since my quals are essentially on hold (I'm not senior in rate qualified yet).  When I separate in three years I need a good job to give me the capital to invest before i go to college for real estate.  Therefore, to get a job at a nuclear plant with only six and out experience, should I get my degree at excelsior in nuc eng tech during this Limdu period?  Is it even necessary to have this degree to get a job at a nuclear power plant?  Is NOT having a degree going to make me less marketable for a job at a nuke plant?  Could I make significantly more money with a degree?  Is it easy for a six and outer MM to get a job at a nuc power plant? I really am not going to be doing this stuff any longer than it takes to save up some money to invest...so should I use TA for the degree I really want or the Nuc eng tech?  Thank you.   V/R

JsonD13

Re: nuke mm...wondering what i should do about a degree.
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2010, 12:01 »
Most of your questions have been answered on the other thread that you posted today.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: nuke mm...wondering what i should do about a degree.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2010, 03:24 »
Put yourself in a hiring manager's shoes.  You have scores of applications for a few spots.  Your goal is to hire the best and brightest who have the potential to move up in the company, or will be a top shelf operator.  If you want a job in nuclear power for a short period of time then you'll either need to be so good that the company would be foolish to not hire you; or you will have to lie and say you're in it for the long haul, because at all five of my job interviews I was asked what were my long term plans.  Would you hire someone who says he's only here to make some money so he go on to something else?

BTW, one of my good friends in the Navy owns several properties that he rents.  He is currently an LDO in Japan.  Though it's sometimes tough to manage his interests from so far away, he's happy to have the upcoming retirement and current income in this tough real estate market. 

Do not automatically assume you're a six and outer.  Lots can change in 3 years.  As others have recommended, the same same things that make you successful in the Navy, will help you succeed outside the Navy.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?