Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu six and out MM seeking advice about NLO earnings

Author Topic: six and out MM seeking advice about NLO earnings  (Read 12206 times)

woodrow33

six and out MM seeking advice about NLO earnings
« on: Jun 24, 2010, 09:28 »
in three years I will be separating from the navy.  If i get the Nuc eng tech degree through excelsior will more doors open for me for jobs or is it likely that i will only qualify for NLO?  I mean should I even bother getting that degree if I don't even want to do nuclear power for much longer?  oh and what are the earnings for a NLO?

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: six and out MM seeking advice about NLO earnings
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2010, 09:52 »
Woodrow33,

First of all, don't cross-post.  It clutters up the forums.
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,24561.msg125102/topicseen.html#new

Secondly, as a Six-And-Out navy nuke, you're probably only going to be considered for NLO.  To be considered for SRO you typically need to have qualified EWS/EOOW and been standing the watch for 2 years.  You won't need that degree to be an NLO if you're a navy nuke.

Third, no utility will be interested in hiring somebody as an operator if they're going to quit in a few years.  It's a long-term job with a long lead time for training.  It costs a lot of time, effort, and money to train an operator.

And finally, that earnings question has been answered before.  That's your lookup.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

woodrow33

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2010, 09:57 »
ty for the reply.  does cross post mean asking two similar questions one after another?  Look up...nice.

woodrow33

« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:16 »
ok...I actually looked that up, and I apologize for wasting your time...I should have done my hw prior to asking the NLO earnings question.  However, I'm still not sure if I should get a degree.  do you think if i get that excelsior degree it will make me more marketable to get a NLO position?  Is it likely that I will get an NLO position in the first place?  I mean it'll be easy for me to get that job right?
p.s. i wasnt being a weisenhimer when i asked about the cross post.  ty  v/r

woodrow33

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:22 »
what's the fray?  will that be more helpful or something?  can you answer my questions?

JsonD13

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:48 »
To answer all your questions:

1)  Get your degree no matter what you plan on doing.  It can only help and will never hurt.

2)  There are tons of Navy Nukes that get out at 6 years.  The things that set you apart from others in the Navy do not set you apart as much on the outside.  It is NOT relatively easy to get a job with your lack of experience without education as an NLO.

3) Jump in the fray=get involved.  Its a saying.  Learn to use google a bit better, that will also help in your job search.

Jason
ex-Navy Nuke
Currently well employed.

woodrow33

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2010, 11:05 »
thanks Jason, so basically, it isnt easy for a six and out mm to get an NLO position?

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2010, 02:08 »
what's the fray?  will that be more helpful or something?  can you answer my questions?
Three years away is a bit early; however, nothing wrong with long-term goals.

Keep in mind NLO/AUO is MM/EM/ET rolled into one watchstation in a "zone defense" (e.g., Aux Bldg, Control Bldg, etc).   You ok with reading electrical prints and racking breakers in/out?

Pay in training is perhaps close to what you're making now.   Many NLOs make 6 figures after overtime.  It all depends on the location, utility, etc.   There is no "one answer" to your question.

Get your degree over the next three years and qualify EWS/EDPO.   It opens more doors than you think....and you can't go back and do a "do over".   What else is there to do over the next three years?

Co60

woodrow33

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24, 2010, 10:51 »
Thank you for the replies...I decided I will get my degree at Thomas Eddison.  Considering what I read on another thread, "my plant manager got his degree from Thomas Eddison" I feel like a degree from excelsior is no better or worse than a degree from Thomas Eddison.  The reason I asked about getting a degree in the nuclear field or in some other field is because I remember my math instructor in A school said that his interviewer asked him if he has ANY degree and thats it.  However, getting a degree at Thomas Eddison will only help me, and it isnt like it will take me that long to get it.  I just hope everything will work out, and it is true that I could separate from the navy and get a good paying job (NLO) with ease.
V/R

co60slr

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2010, 04:56 »
... I feel like a degree from excelsior is no better or worse than a degree from Thomas Eddison. 

I just hope everything will work out, and it is true that I could separate from the navy and get a good paying job (NLO) with ease.
1.  TESC is not ABET accredited.  Excelsior is ABET accredited.   TESC is viewed with varying credibility with various organizations.  For example, the Federal Government does not recognize it as a technical degree since they require ABET.

2.  Getting a degree is NOT linked with NLO/AUO.   Your degree shows extra academic effort and achievement which may be a deciding factor. 

You're off on the right start: asking questions.  However, keep going on your research and see what works best for you.

Co60

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2010, 07:57 »
in three years I will be separating from the navy.  If i get the Nuc eng tech degree through excelsior will more doors open for me for jobs or is it likely that i will only qualify for NLO?  I mean should I even bother getting that degree if I don't even want to do nuclear power for much longer?  oh and what are the earnings for a NLO?

You can be an NLO making way more than you do now. Degree never hurts but you will still be an NLO. The TESC degree qualifies you to be an STA someday, so don't discount it as much as some others here. Frankly, no one in the ops world really cares where/what your degree comes from. Vice Presidents have the TESC degree.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010, 08:03 by JustinHEMI »

co60slr

« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2010, 11:59 »
I realize you're an STA, but are you sure about that statement?  The ACAD document I read states that STA requires calc-based physics and diff-eq.  Has there been a revision?  Those courses aren't required for the TESC degree.  If so, that means I can be an STA too, vice the dreaded IC!   :-\  Hope you're right!
"Candidates should have bachelor's degrees in engineering or physical science or...[a list of courses]"

However, these are Guidelines for Utilities to follow.  Just as some Utilities do NOT hire Direct SROs, some will hire the qualification/experience desires of their STAs, which may be above these "Guidelines".

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26, 2010, 12:24 »
I realize you're an STA, but are you sure about that statement?  The ACAD document I read states that STA requires calc-based physics and diff-eq.  Has there been a revision?  Those courses aren't required for the TESC degree.  If so, that means I can be an STA too, vice the dreaded IC!   :-\  Hope you're right!

Positive.

Dreaded IC? What does that mean? What is dreaded about it? No one cares, at least not at my plant, if you are one or the other. They both do the same thing, just one meets legal manning requirements.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 12:27 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jun 28, 2010, 09:57 »
The TESC degree qualifies you to be an STA someday, so don't discount it as much as some others here. Frankly, no one in the ops world really cares where/what your degree comes from. Vice Presidents have the TESC degree.

I do not have enough knowledge to comment on the TESC degree but the utility I work for only recognizes degrees that are (hard sciences) i.e. degrees that include calc-based physics and diff-eq.  I am not trying to be argumentative but there are OPS people that do care where that degree came from.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #14 on: Jun 28, 2010, 07:51 »
I do not have enough knowledge to comment on the TESC degree but the utility I work for only recognizes degrees that are (hard sciences) i.e. degrees that include calc-based physics and diff-eq.  I am not trying to be argumentative but there are OPS people that do care where that degree came from.

Like was pointed out, different utilities do different things. The largest nuclear utility recognizes the TESC degree as STA worthy.

co60slr

« Reply #15 on: Jun 28, 2010, 09:15 »
I don't know many STA's that use DiffEQ for shutdown margin calculations and tech spec declarations.   In contrast, I don't know that any degree at all is required to be a professional fuel handler.   In fact, it's much harder:  You need an SRO License.

We'll concede the argument that the NUREGs allow a non-ABET Nuclear Engineering Technology degree and that some utilities chose to NOT use this allowance.   However, for the record what Utility are we discussing that does not recognize an accredited technical BS degree?   There's no sense in wasting the time of ex-Navy Nukes and that utility's HR department with unwanted resumes.

Co60

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:09 »
Exelon hires 6 and outers as instant SROs and recognizes the TESC degree for STA.

onceanuke

« Reply #17 on: Aug 02, 2010, 09:33 »
If you have the time to complete your degree, DO IT. Unless you have specific aspirations to go do something else when you get out, get your degree, it will help differentiate you from others. These days, sites are getting 2-300 resumes for 10-12 NLO spots.  It does matter, TESC or Ex.  Both mean something, and will matter in this industry. Expect to earn 70-80 to start, around 100k once qualified and on shift (with little to no OT) and 100+ with OT, give or take. Be prepared for shift work too.

haverty

« Reply #18 on: Aug 09, 2010, 01:17 »
6 and outter with 3 years left... Are you even qualified yet? I was in PPWS quals as a second class, and I tell you, you should definitely find your niche and push it hard. Qualify everything you can. Take as much responsibility as you can handle, and make yourself valuable. That, and a degree, you should find yourself in a good spot when you get out. Most SRO positions require PPWS, PPWO, or RO/RT experience for 2 years. If you are not staying in the field, take pace classes or online classes in a field you foresee yourself in.  It seems that most companies wont care if you have a degree as an NLO, HOWEVER, in the long run, I REALLY can't see a degree hurting you at all. If you can do it easily, why not eh?

and to answer your question about finding a job -> It seems that when you get out its going to be hit or miss. If you fall into a hiring cycle, you should seemingly be picked up fairly quickly... however, be prepared to spend many hours a day searching for jobs... trust me -> It sucks! :(

EDIT : not trying to bash the guy, just want him to have his priorities straight, thats all.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010, 01:36 by haverty »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?