Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting sub and potentially nuke disqual honeypot

Author Topic: Getting sub and potentially nuke disqual  (Read 6616 times)

Gradius

Getting sub and potentially nuke disqual
« on: Jun 24, 2010, 02:51 »
so yeah, i just got to WA and enroute from NPTU charleston to here i had an ashma attack. doc said i have moderate persistant. already told im sub disqual and told that nuke is more limiting so probobly getting nuke disqual. also told that the navy is overmanned so i wont beable to do a FRC and there ganna discharge me. Havent stepped foot on a boat yet. Was wanting some info on jobs that nuke school is all i need.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Getting sub and potentially nuke disqual
« Reply #1 on: Jun 24, 2010, 02:55 »
so yeah, i just got to WA and enroute from NPTU charleston to here i had an ashma attack. doc said i have moderate persistant. already told im sub disqual and told that nuke is more limiting so probobly getting nuke disqual. also told that the navy is overmanned so i wont beable to do a FRC and there ganna discharge me. Havent stepped foot on a boat yet. Was wanting some info on jobs that nuke school is all i need.

outside chance at NLO. but jobs are few, applicants are many. got anything that makes you stand out?
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Gradius

« Reply #2 on: Jun 24, 2010, 02:57 »
Like what?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jun 24, 2010, 04:23 »
outside chance at NLO. but jobs are few, applicants are many. got anything that makes you stand out?

NLO is an outside chance as the man says. As a more likely backup, start watching www.fedjobs.gov for entry-level positions. In those Federal jobs, your nuclear training won't necessarily be what gives you a foot in the door, it will be your ability to bid jobs with MP in the posting. You have 5 points preference for service during the current GWAT/Contingency/whatever it is currently called.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010, 03:36 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 24, 2010, 05:30 »
I'd take a look to see if you're qualified to have the Post 9/11 GI bill if they separate you.  If you are eligible I'd think really hard about going to school and getting your degree now. 

It doesn't get easier to go back to school, trust me.  You always think you'll have time later, but you never do...  until you make time.  Do that now!

If college isn't your thing right now you'd probably be able to pass the POSS and/or MOSS testing to try to get into OPS at a civilian plant.  You'd just have to take some practice tests to get used to the way the questions are presented.  The problem there is that you're going to be competing against people who have real world experience in applied engineering, and you're going to have none.

Not to say that it can't be done, we have some very young NLOs at my plant who didn't have much experience coming in the door.  They're way outnumbered by the NLOs who have a college degree or several years of Navy and civilian power plant experience though (some have all of the things I just listed).

Definitely take a look at the Federal jobs stuff...  I believe TVA also gives some credit for military service so take a look there too.

Good luck!
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Gradius

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24, 2010, 08:39 »
GAH! so many accronyms. lol. I feel retarded for asking but what is an NLO? I know it stands for nonlisenced operator but I tried searching it but nothing i could find says what exactly they do.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?