Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice regarding Nuclear Program? honeypot

Author Topic: Advice regarding Nuclear Program?  (Read 28780 times)

jabONE

Advice regarding Nuclear Program?
« on: Jun 25, 2010, 01:50 »
Ok I am taking the Nuclear Test on Monday to see if I qualify for the Nuke program. If I pass I will go into the Nuke program enlisted, but my eventual goal is to get my bachelor's degree and go into OCS so I can eventually be either a Submarine Officer or a Naval Reactors Engineer. Can I attend college while in the service so that I can get my bachelor's degree, or what? I know I will have to work hard for what I want and I am prepared for that, but I also want to take the most direct and easiest way to get into OCS. I do not have the money to attend college on my own which is where joining the Navy comes in. And if I do go for my degree, should I get my degree in something like Nuclear Engineering or a Physics degree?

Fermi2

Re: Advice regarding Nuclear Program?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2010, 01:58 »
Ok someone, swing the big foot, I know a great posterior target..

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2010, 05:24 »
Ok I am taking the Nuclear Test on Monday to see if I qualify for the Nuke program. If I pass I will go into the Nuke program enlisted, but my eventual goal is to get my bachelor's degree and go into OCS so I can eventually be either a Submarine Officer or a Naval Reactors Engineer. Can I attend college while in the service so that I can get my bachelor's degree, or what? I know I will have to work hard for what I want and I am prepared for that, but I also want to take the most direct and easiest way to get into OCS. I do not have the money to attend college on my own which is where joining the Navy comes in. And if I do go for my degree, should I get my degree in something like Nuclear Engineering or a Physics degree?
While we await a more professional response from Broadzilla on HIS engineering degree and Naval Officer experience, I'll add my $0.02.  It's pretty obvious when our grumpy old Shift Manager is sitting in his control room bored on the night shift.

There are many threads/discussions here on the subject of enlisted/officer at the juncture you're now at.   Many people go enlisted for a variety of personal reasons, others have their goals ironed out early and head straight to college (ROTC, NUPOC, etc) and hit a home run.  I recommend you speak with an Officer Recruiter *and* an Enlisted Recruiter and bounce what you think you can do off the contemporary experts.

Once your choose enlisted, you'll have to hit that path hard with 110% effort, so no...you won't have time for your engineering degree for the first few years of training.  The most direct route to OSC is to bypass the enlisted tour and go straight to college. 

A degree in something that has the word "engineering" should be your goal for a technical/management future.   However, any technical degree (e.g., physics, engineering) will launch you into a professional career nicely.

Don't worry about job titles (e.g., NR Engineer) yet.  Any future employer, especially NR, wants to see effort and a high GPA, as will an officer selection board if you decide to go enlisted to officer later.  Roll up your sleeves, get to work, and the rewards will come your way.  It's all GPA.

Co60

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2010, 06:52 »
Just pointing out the information he was seeking has been asked millions of times before. Oh and I'll point out something else, the NEXT time I work for a Naval Officer will be the first time since I got out of the Navy 20 years ago.

jabONE

« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2010, 07:10 »
Thank you Co60 for your input. And Broadzilla, I am new here and I searched all I could for something similar to my question and couldn't find anything. Maybe I just overlooked it but I just couldn't find it and I really want advice as I am taking the Navy Nuke test on Monday. As for the going to college first, that is the whole purpose of me going Navy was for them to pay for college. I do not have the money to attend college on my own as I blew my chance for that 3 years ago when I attended college right out of high school. Almost made it through the first semester when I decided that school wasn't for me so I stopped showing up about 2 weeks prior to the end of the semester. At that point I was still undecided with what I wanted to do with my life, but now that I've figured it out I know I want to go Navy Nuke and get to OCS as easily and quick as possible. So how could I get contact with an officer recruiter as I am already in contact with an enlisted recruiter? :)

co60slr

« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2010, 07:59 »
Just pointing out the information he was seeking has been asked millions of times before. Oh and I'll point out something else, the NEXT time I work for a Naval Officer will be the first time since I got out of the Navy 20 years ago.
Someone has posted questions here about how to obtain a commission in the Navy: Getting In section before?   Thanks for your illumination, but many of us assume that to be the purpose of this subforum.  However, since your posting was grammatically incorrect it was difficult for me to figure out exactly what you were trying to say. 

Likewise, I'll point out something else:  NO ONE has to answer to Broadzilla before enlisting in the Nuclear Navy (or getting into Commercial Nuclear Power for that matter).   

co60slr

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2010, 08:57 »
I do not have the money to attend college on my own as I blew my chance for that 3 years ago when I attended college right out of high school. Almost made it through the first semester when I decided that school wasn't for me so I stopped showing up about 2 weeks prior to the end of the semester.
I've heard this story a million times.   Perhaps lived part of it myself.  One can "find yourself" in a successful Enlisted career and then the sky is the limit.   Again...don't give anything short of 110%...not for your supervisors, but for yourself.

Co60

jabONE

« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2010, 09:03 »
Yes Marssim thank you for your post. I want to go into the Nuke program because that's what I want to do. I want to be a Nuke. But I also want to get to OCS and become an officer which I know requires a bachelor's degree. I do not really have the money to pay for school unless I take out student loans(and I am very hesitant to do this) because I already have one outstanding loan that is about 1,000 dollars right now. So that's where enlisting would pay for my schooling. But I am afraid that if I enlist now that I will not have the time to focus on school while I'm in the Navy and even if I do have the time that when it comes time for me to get my bachelor's degree then I won't be able to get into OCS. Things I've seen people post on here say that it is difficult for someone enlisted to get a degree and go to OCS as opposed to someone who goes to school first and either finishes on their own before OCS or uses NUPOC to finish. I just want to find out what the easiest way to become an officer would be. As it looks it seems to me my best bet would be to take out student loans for 2 years, apply for the NUPOC, and if I get it go through that and then OCS.

jabONE

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2010, 09:17 »
Well thank you again Marssim your advice was greatly appreciated as was yours Co60. I still have to get a 61 on the NUKE test to even qualify for the NUKE program and I am taking it on Monday. I want to pass it more than anything right now, that's my main concern for now. So depending on how I do I will talk to my Enlisted recruiter, and I will definitely be getting in touch with an Officer recruiter as well so I can weigh down both options. :)

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 25, 2010, 09:47 »
Ok someone, swing the big foot, I know a great posterior target..
Hum....i see someone is back here posting again???
So much for integrity, but expectations were low to begin with.
Just proves much of what you say is BS!

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2010, 01:46 »
I want to point out that even with a college degree, OCS isn't a sure thing.  

How old are you now?  You have to be younger than 26 1/2 (or 29 1/2 with a waiver) by the time you graduate from OCS.  It will take you AT LEAST two years to get through the pipeline (maybe more depending on the prototype situation.)  Once you are on your boat, you'll need to focus on getting qualified before you start taking classes.  So plan on about 3-4 years before you can even start your degree.  Then, it will take you AT LEAST another 2 years to finish that degree depending on your school and major.  You probably won't be able to take a full course load while you're still in the Navy (and apparently it's even harder if you're on a sub.)  Once you do have that degree, it could be YEARS before you get picked up for OCS, if ever.

By the time you get your degree, you'll probably be at your six year point anyways (and 6 years older).  

So make sure that you're willing to live as an enlisted nuke before you sign up.  If you're only enlisting because you want to be an officer, get a job, take out some loans, and work your ass off.  Apply for NUPOC or get your degree and apply directly to OCS.  

Edit:  I also want to point out that going to school while working a more than full-time job is a lot harder than going to school at 18 with no commitments.  Obviously, it can be done, but usually not without some sort of sacrifice.
« Last Edit: Jun 25, 2010, 01:59 by KUrunner »
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Jun 25, 2010, 05:01 »
I completely don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, but your best bet if you choose to enlist is STA-21.  Like OCS, the acceptance rates are really low right now, but it makes more sense than getting your degree on your own just to do OCS.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2010, 05:14 »
Keep in mind, SWO-N isn't the only option for OCS. I know two nukes who were picked up for non-nuke SWO in the last year. If you want to stay nuke, your best bet is STA-21, where you'll get sent to college for three years year round.

jabONE

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26, 2010, 12:50 »
I am currently 22 years old but will be 23 in December. I called the Officer Recruiting Station today and talked with a lady who is retired Navy that works there and she said my best bet would be to enlist and go through Nuke Scool and the Pipeline. She said that almost all if not all of the training and schooling you will get being a Nuke will translate directly into college credits and that from all of that alone I could have up to 3 years worth of college credits. She said that I would then only need to really take like 1 year of college and do my general studies(History, English, etc.) and then I could have my Bachelor's degree and apply for OCS. I talked to my Enlisted Recruiter as well to see if this was true and he said the same thing as the lady at the Officer Recruiting Station. So really this seems to be my best way of going and trying to get into OCS.

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Jun 26, 2010, 04:57 »
That's so much crap. You need to do a lot more research into this if your end goal is to become an officer.

First, research the different programs the Navy has to complete a degree and then go Active Duty Officer. NROTC, or foot the bill yourself and apply for OCS as a civilian.

Secondly, as enlisted you have a harder path and a longer time to spend toiling away cleaning crap from some dirty bilge. But, if you're a stellar cleaner you can get picked up for STA-21. Possibly if you put forth a herculean effort you can earn your degree while Active duty enlisted (most likely on shore duty) 6-8 years after you joined. THEN you can apply for OCS.

Three years of college credits from the Naval Nuclear Program is utter BS. Most accredited colleges and universities might give you 6 months worth of credits if you're lucky. That still leaves 3.5 years of college education to knock out on your own.

My recommendation is this, enjoy the civilian life and take the fast-track to becoming an officer by putting forth the effort NOW. Go to college, get that degree, and try and get the military to pay for it if you can.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 12:15 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Jun 26, 2010, 08:43 »
That's so much crap. You need to do a lot more research into this if your end goal is to become an officer.

Three years of college credits from the Naval Nuclear Program is utter BS. Most accredited colleges and universities might give you 6 months worth of credits if you're lucky. That still leaves 3.5 years of college education to knock out on your own.

This is 100% true.  As I said, the credits you get will depend on your college and your major, but there is pretty much no way to get 3+ years of college waived from nuke school.  I have a degree in Chemistry from the University of Kansas.  The Chemistry department gave me 26 credits - about a year of full time school.  Those credits were given in place of electives.  I still had to take chemistry, physics, math, etc.  The School of Engineering would give me a whopping ZERO transfer credits (which is why I'm a chemist and not a mechanical engineer).  

Nuke school is hard, but only because it's fast paced.  Math in nuke school isn't calculus.  Chemistry doesn't even teach you the first month of gen chem.  

Plus, to go to OCS as a nuke, you have to have 2 semesters as calculus and 2 semesters of calculus-based physics.  You can't get credit for that from your time in the pipeline.  Since Physics is a lab-based science, you can't take it online while on a boat.
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2010, 12:16 by Nuclear NASCAR »

co60slr

« Reply #16 on: Jun 26, 2010, 09:49 »
I thought I had nothing left to say, that I didn't really care about this anymore but dammit kid you seem to be flip flopping on me here, (of course, I could be wrong, internet text can be very misleading as to people's true intentions).
+K.  (Laughing...)

I still can't figure out how I arranged a 20+ career in the 80s without Nukeworker, Facebook, etc.   Perhaps I didn't have a choice...I took a leap into the unknown abyss and never looked back.   I saw my first submarine (picture or otherwise) in PCAN.  A sub crew gave me a very nice tour but then told me to get back to Orlando and study.  <grin>  I love being a "nuke".

Is the OP a risk taker (i.e., "go for it") or risk averse (i.e., I have to cover ALL my bases first)?

Me thinks he has all the required information and is just "talking out loud" and/or digesting all this information, which is fine. I'll look for his postings in a year (boot camp), 2 years (NPS), 3 years (hits the fleet), 4 years ("should I reup?), 5 years ("what's an AUO"), 6 years ("should I qualify EWS"), 7 years ("TESC degree"), 8 years ("Am I qualified for SRO"), 20 years ("am I qualified to be a Plant Manager").   <grin>   Fun process to watch...especially having lived it.

r/Co60

JsonD13

« Reply #17 on: Jun 26, 2010, 05:58 »
The recruiter and the retired lady are telling you partial truths.  You can go right ahead and get an acreditted degree within 1 year of completing all your Navy nuke school training.  How do I know this?  I did it.  There are caveats though.

For one,  I was picked up as a staff instructor after my initial training.  This allowed me to go to school in my off time.  Another was that I did not get my degree from the most "respected" school, but they are acreddited and gave me alot of credits (Thomas Edison State College is the name).

As for those who say you can't get that degree I say baloney.  You can get that degree and it will open up many doors (I am wrapping up my second masters this summer), however OCS with that degree will be very very tough.  The school is not considered one of the better schools and that matters when you apply to a comissioning program.  It is kind of funny how that tier system works, but thats another thought and another topic.

Jason

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #18 on: Jun 26, 2010, 07:21 »
I agree that where you get your degree from *probably* doesn't matter.  Of course, it's a very competitive program and if there's one spot and 10 applicants with the same GPA, great recommendations, evals, etc., I'd imagine they'd go with the "better" degree.  But then again, I'm not the one picking the sailors.

However, you have to be hand selected by the admiral to become a nuke officer.  If you make it that far, you'll have an interview with him.  He's going to ask you some really tough science, engineering, and math questions.  If you don't know the answer to those, it doesn't matter where you're degree is from, because he's not going to pick you.  If you get a TESC degree with your nuke credits and take a couple extra classes without taking those science, engineering, and math classes, you're not going to make it through your interview.  Granted, you can study up on your own, but you're not going to have the time you imagine you will. 

co60slr

« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2010, 10:47 »
He's going to ask you some really tough science, engineering, and math questions. 

If you don't know the answer to those, it doesn't matter where you're degree is from, because he's not going to pick you. 

If you get a TESC degree with your nuke credits and take a couple extra classes without taking those science, engineering, and math classes, you're not going to make it through your interview. 
Every sentence above is incorrect.

Co60

jabONE

« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2010, 04:59 »
Now I don't know if this is true or not either, but the recruiter also told me that MIT are the ones who designed the Navy's Nuclear Program and that through MIT my training could transfer to AS MUCH AS 3 years worth of college credit's and that I would only need to take 1 maybe 2 year's tops worth of schooling to get my degree in Nuclear Physics from MIT. He said I could just take online coursers through MIT in my own time to finish my degree and then apply for OCS. If worse comes to worse, I'll just go ahead and go enlisted and if I don't get what I want oh well. I'll try to work as hard as I can for what I want but I know there is no guarantee and either way I'll be better off than I am now. Working at Wal-Mart is not what I have in mind for a career. LOL

co60slr

« Reply #21 on: Jun 27, 2010, 07:49 »
...through MIT my training could transfer to AS MUCH AS 3 years worth of college credit's and that I would only need to take 1 maybe 2 year's tops worth of schooling to get my degree in Nuclear Physics from MIT.

He said I could just take online coursers through MIT in my own time to finish my degree and then apply for OCS.
What ORNL/MIT did for the NNPP has no bearing on your college degree.   Gamecock is a MIT grad and he has information/answers buried here in the forums somewhere.   Very few colleges (including MIT) award credit for enlisted NPS for nuclear engineering (or physics).  MIT does have a program for Nuke Officers to obtain a Master's degree, which is what your recruiter may be confusing.

While you're waiting for Boot Camp, read "The Rickover Effect" or one of the other books out there about how ADM. Rickover started the NNPP.  You'll see many of the core fundamentals he started still at work in 2010.

MIT does have online courses...but online degree programs?   You can validate/invalidate what the recruiter told you (mostly BS, I think) at MIT.edu.  Or better yet, call MIT and ask them your questions directly.   (First rule of being a nuke:  "Trust, but validate").

In the end, an enlisted recruiter is no more likely to encourage you into direct officer programs than a Ford car salesman is to send you to a BMW dealership.   However, in the end, YOU have to do what is right for YOU and your situation.   Just understand that trying to get college/officer later in life is harder, but many of us have done it.

Co60

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Jun 27, 2010, 09:00 »
As far as I know, there are only 2 colleges that offer over about 30 credits for the nuke pipeline. TESC (Thomas Edison State College), which gave about 90 credits when I got my degree through them and Excelsior, which offers about the same. Both are accredited, however TESC is not ABET accredited. I heard a few years ago they were working on changing that, but I don't know if it ever happened. Any ABET accredited university will likely require calc based physics and chemistry, plus labs, which I haven't been able to find online, although that was about 6 years ago.

Something else to think about, you will not be eligible for TA or the GI Bill while going through the pipeline, as you're in a student status. With the new TA rules, you won't be eligible for TA for the first year at your first command, so you're looking at 3 years before you can start using TA. NCPACE courses are available, if your ship is deploying, but I've never seen them offer anything particularly useful for a technical degree, mostly they have core courses (Philosophy, English, History, etc) that you couls probably CLEP out of. Which is another thing, most universities have a limit on how many credits you can transfer to them, so make sure you have all that info before you take extra classes/tests, so you can focus a little better. If you want more info about these, check out https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/.

Just for the record, I think a lot of the posters are former navy, and the rules have changed. It lookslike the rules will be changing again soon, due to fiscal restraints. I hope this make some sense, as I'm nearing the end of a duty day.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Jun 27, 2010, 10:24 »
Every sentence above is incorrect.

Co60

My apologies if this information was wrong. 

My ex-husband is a nuke officer (was picked up STA-21 from Power School and had the dreaded interview) and said that's how it worked. 

co60slr

« Reply #24 on: Jun 27, 2010, 11:26 »
My apologies if this information was wrong. 

My ex-husband is a nuke officer (was picked up STA-21 from Power School and had the dreaded interview) and said that's how it worked. 
No apologies necessary.  Many people speak of this "dreaded interview" on this and other Forums at length.   

Usually, the ADM asks much harder questions that are not academic.   "Why did you not do your best and get a 4.0 GPA?"  Etc.   Sometimes there are no right/wrong answers, but how you answer and your particular situation is what is being assessed.   

Now the 3-4 interviewers before the ADM...those you have to worry about.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2010, 12:05 »
No apologies necessary.  Many people speak of this "dreaded interview" on this and other Forums at length.   

Usually, the ADM asks much harder questions that are not academic.   "Why did you not do your best and get a 4.0 GPA?"  Etc.   Sometimes there are no right/wrong answers, but how you answer and your particular situation is what is being assessed.   

Yikes.  Sounds harder than the if Train A leaves from Station 1 going X mph type questions. 

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 2010, 07:57 »
I do not really have the money to pay for school unless I take out student loans(and I am very hesitant to do this) because I already have one outstanding loan that is about 1,000 dollars right now.
Seriously?

I know you may be young and $1k seems like crazy debt, but it's really nothing. You actually have several options here, and it's a shame that none of the recruiters are considering your long term interests when speaking to you. However, we don't know how you approached the situation. Anywhoo:

1) Enlisting for the purpose of using the GI bill to become an officer is out of the question. After 6 years of AD nuke, you will most likely be 29 years old, which is the age limit with a prior enlisted waiver... and you haven't started college yet. Your only hope would be getting picked up for STA-21 while enlisted, but that program is extremely competitive. At the very least, I wouldn't hang my long term career hopes on it, particularly if your SAT scores aren't so hot. Despite what any recruiter might say, you are not guaranteed a commissioning slot from the enlisted nuke pipeline... far from it. So if you choose to enlist, do it because you want to be a nuke because that's likely the path you'll stay in. You can use the GI bill after your first commitment and go on to another fruitful career after getting a degree, or you can reenlist and work your way toward fouled anchors and being a deckplate leader. Down the line (meaning 10+ years of service) you can consider applying for LDO or warrant if that's your thing, too. Unfortunately, URL officer programs will not be in the cards for you, though.

2) You should be searching google for any and all sorts of scholarships out there. There is a ton of money that is there for the taking that people don't take advantage of. You should also be researching state/community colleges that usually offer reduced tuition to in-state residents. When it comes to most URL commissioning programs, any degree + good grades with leadership roles in jobs and extra-curricular activities can get you there.

2) You can contact an NROTC recruiter and seek options there, including scholarship. Downside: scholarships are only given to technical degrees. However, NROTC students are not guaranteed a designator, so you are at the whims of the needs of the Navy. Having said that, if you want sub nuke and have the grades you'll probably get it... it's not a very popular choice and sometimes people are voluntold to go subs under the statement that NROTC contracts implicitly volunteer you for sub duty. Also, if cost is a concern you might run into issues with NROTC not being at the school you wish to attend.

3) You can take loans for two years of college, get A's, and then apply for NUPOC. You will make enough money with E-6 pay + BAH during your next two years to afford college and put some toward paying off loans (you can also work a part-time job if you still want to), and the 11k you'll get for signing a contract will put a nice dent in your loans from the first two years. You can also use the USAA commissioning loan, which is $25k at a low interest rate (4% right now I think) to effectively consolidate any high-interest loans (payment for the USAA loan is ~600/mo, affordable as a single Ensign). That pretty much gives you $36k to work with. You should definitely be looking at in-state public schools in order to minimize tuition costs if loans are freaking you out. Bear in mind that you have to commission by 27, so you're looking at having to complete school in 3 1/2 years if you enroll this fall. I honestly think NUPOC is one of the best programs in the Navy for commissioning...the reason it beats NROTC is because the money is yours to spend however you like, and if you get some scholarship money as suggested above then you'll be set.

4) I think USNA is out of the question due to your age.

The downside to all the above is that you need a backup plan in case you become medically disqualified, either due to injury or because you have some condition that you didn't know you have (partially colorblind, for example).

So decide if you want to be an enlisted nuke or an officer, and then go that route. You obviously have several options available to you. Do what you need to do to achieve that goal, and if taking out some loans is going to do that then do it. Unfortunately, your age means that you most likely can't have both. Ideally, the recruiters would have had the above conversation with you, but the enlisted one probably just wants to meet his quota and the OCS one is probably at goal and just perceived you as a clueless, non-eligible applicant who wasn't worth her time (which you kinda were).
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2010, 08:20 by spekkio »

jabONE

« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2010, 11:46 »
Ok I took the Nuke test today and I think I did ok but I do not know if I did good enough to get the Nuke program. I needed to get 61 out of 80 questions right. Now the question is, if I don't get Nuke should I go ahead and enlist and find something else I'd like to do i.e. a non-Nuke ET or MM among a few other choices? Or should I wait the 30 days and retake the ASVAB since I have more time to prepare for it and I've actually got material to study now instead of just making an appointment to take the ASVAB and then 2 days later taking it? This is a tough decision for me because I REALLY REALLY want Nuke but I also hate my job now and wanna get out of their ASAP and think I could still enjoy doing something else in the Navy even if it's not exactly what I want.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: Jun 29, 2010, 12:14 »
50 quatloos against

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:14 »

Three years of college credits from the Naval Nuclear Program is utter BS. Most accredited colleges and universities might give you 6 months worth of credits if you're lucky.

I got one class (3 hours) of credit for enlisted nuclear training.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #30 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:17 »
I agree that where you get your degree from *probably* doesn't matter.  Of course, it's a very competitive program and if there's one spot and 10 applicants with the same GPA, great recommendations, evals, etc., I'd imagine they'd go with the "better" degree.  But then again, I'm not the one picking the sailors.

However, you have to be hand selected by the admiral to become a nuke officer.  If you make it that far, you'll have an interview with him.  He's going to ask you some really tough science, engineering, and math questions.

The Admiral does not ask technical questions.  

Those guys that do the technical interviews are really stellar       ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 09:20 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Jun 29, 2010, 10:32 »
Ok I took the Nuke test today and I think I did ok but I do not know if I did good enough to get the Nuke program. I needed to get 61 out of 80 questions right. Now the question is, if I don't get Nuke should I go ahead and enlist and find something else I'd like to do i.e. a non-Nuke ET or MM among a few other choices? Or should I wait the 30 days and retake the ASVAB since I have more time to prepare for it and I've actually got material to study now instead of just making an appointment to take the ASVAB and then 2 days later taking it? This is a tough decision for me because I REALLY REALLY want Nuke but I also hate my job now and wanna get out of their ASAP and think I could still enjoy doing something else in the Navy even if it's not exactly what I want.

I don't know how it works now, but 17 years ago when I joined, I took the nuke test, went to lunch, came back and found out my scores, so I don't know why you don't have them yet. Honestly, if your ASVAB score was high enough for you to take the nuke test, you probably don't need to retake it.

All the other questions are things you should ask yourself, not us. If you REALLY, REALLY want nuke, and you don't make the cut, ask yourself if you will be happy doing anything else. Remember, the navy has a rating for just about anything, just make sure you get anything the recruiter offers you in writing.

jabONE

« Reply #32 on: Jun 29, 2010, 12:44 »
I don't know how it works now, but 17 years ago when I joined, I took the nuke test, went to lunch, came back and found out my scores, so I don't know why you don't have them yet. Honestly, if your ASVAB score was high enough for you to take the nuke test, you probably don't need to retake it.

All the other questions are things you should ask yourself, not us. If you REALLY, REALLY want nuke, and you don't make the cut, ask yourself if you will be happy doing anything else. Remember, the navy has a rating for just about anything, just make sure you get anything the recruiter offers you in writing.

On the ASVAB I needed to get a 252 combined score on 4 parts of the test(can't remember which ones it was exactly), and I got a 229. If you take the Nuclear Test then you have to have those same 4 parts plus the Nuke test combine for a 290. Since I got a 229 I needed a 61 on the NUKE test which means I had to get 61 of the 80 questions right. I really want nuclear but I think I could be happy doing another job.  I just wanna get out of the job I have now because I hate it with a passion.

co60slr

« Reply #33 on: Jun 29, 2010, 02:24 »
Those guys that do the technical interviews are really stellar       ;)
...and if this Forum had a "BS Cutback" Function, an alarm would've been activated.   :P

My favorite question:  "If the earth had a hole going from one end, through the center of it to the other side, and you dropped a ball into it...what would happen?"

jabONE

« Reply #34 on: Jun 29, 2010, 04:17 »
Well assuming it were actually possible to do the ball would be nonexistent when it gets closer the center of the Earth.

Offline hogs

• Light User
« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:04 »
Well assuming it were actually possible to do the ball would be nonexistent when it gets closer the center of the Earth.

I am having trouble with this.  You mean because the ball would melt and cease to be a ball?  I hadn't thought of it that way.  Interesting perspective!

Edit:  JabONE, a typical response would be that the ball would pass up the center and boomerang back and forth, or would slow due to air resistance before finishing at the center.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 05:22 by hogs »

jabONE

« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:57 »
Well that too but yes before that could even happen the ball would melt and cease to be a ball.

jabONE

« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2010, 01:01 »
Ok so here's an update. I took the Nuke test on Monday and got my results back today. I needed a 61 to qualify and I got a 55. So I am right there not too far off. I am going to wait 30 days and retake the ASVAB and study for about 2-3 hours each day. All I need to do is improve my Nuclear or Electronics score by 6 points and I'm in. :)

jabONE

« Reply #38 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:14 »
55 on the ASVAB.....even a 61 would not be a predictor of success in Nuclear. You might want to consider a field other than Nuke , such as IT, seeing as how NPS and Prototype are about 6.02x1023 bajillion harder than the ASVAB. Just sayin.

No I got an 89 on the ASVAB with a 229 in the Nuclear section and a 219 in the Eletronics section. I did not qualify for the Nuke Program with my line scores on the ASVAB so I had to take the NUKE test. I needed a 61 on the NUKE test and I got a 55. So now I am waiting the 30 days to retake the ASVAB and try to improve my Nuclear section from a 229 to a 235 or my Electronics from a 219 to a 225. Either way I will make it into the Nuke program.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:40 »
Well then....good luck!

jabONE

« Reply #40 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:46 »
Well then....good luck!

Thanks!!! I actually did alot better on the Nuke test than I thought I did. I thought I completely bombed it cause I mean I didn't have any time to study for the ASVAB or the Nuke test when I took both. I've been out of school going on 4 years so I thought I did pretty good on both tests given that fact. Now I'll actually have 3 weeks to prepare for the ASVAB and I've taken it once so I know what it's going to be like. All in all I should be more prepared for the ASVAB and surely 3 weeks of studying for about 2 hours a day will get the me the 6 points that I need. :)

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #41 on: Jul 01, 2010, 08:14 »
Thanks!!! I actually did alot better on the Nuke test than I thought I did. I thought I completely bombed it cause I mean I didn't have any time to study for the ASVAB or the Nuke test when I took both. I've been out of school going on 4 years so I thought I did pretty good on both tests given that fact. Now I'll actually have 3 weeks to prepare for the ASVAB and I've taken it once so I know what it's going to be like. All in all I should be more prepared for the ASVAB and surely 3 weeks of studying for about 2 hours a day will get the me the 6 points that I need. :)

I had this huge post written about how you should think twice about the Nuke program if you struggled with the ASVAB (by far the easiest test you'll ever take as a nuke). About how hard the program is on several different levels to those not familiar with the Navy's way of doing things. About how you'd most likely fail out because you're just not smart enough to assimilate and spew out all of the information on request.

I'm not going to tell you that. I've seen the dumb, lazy, and the distracted pull themselves together enough to graduate against all odds. Just be prepared to dig deep and learn new things about yourself under stress.

If you think you have it in you and you want it bad enough, then by-all-means show everyone your level of dedication and what you're willing to go through to achieve your goal.

jabONE

« Reply #42 on: Jul 01, 2010, 12:24 »
Definitely Yaeger. I know it isn't going to be easy but I am dedicated. It has taken me 4 long years to figure out what I want to do with my life and now that I have found it I'm not going to give up easily. I didn't struggle on the ASVAB, but the Nuke test however was different. After I took the test I thought I completely bombed the test but when I got back my scores it was a different story. I did much better than I thought I did which really gave me a confidence boost. All I need to do now is study for about 3 weeks for the ASVAB and surely I can get 6 more points.

jabONE

« Reply #43 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:49 »
Well thanks for the advice from everyone who has posted and I apologize for some of the stupid things I may have said. I just re-took the ASVAB today and I improved my Nuclear Line Score from a 229 to a 240 and my electronics from a 219 to a 231. With my NAPT test at 55 that gets me into the Nuke program. So I can't wait to sign up and get shipped off and be a Nuke. :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #44 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:16 »
good luck!

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #45 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:00 »
I got one class (3 hours) of credit for enlisted nuclear training.

Cheers,
GC
When I got out you couldn't get hardly anything because the colleges couldn't review the Navy's material.  Now most  of the material has been declassified so the colleges can review what you've been taught.

I checked with Edison College in N.J. and between my enlisted nuke training and the NRRPT I get 84 credits towards a nuclear engineering technology degree.  This is an accredited college program.  Downside is most of the credits are upper level.  I would still have to get 36 credits in the humanities, (English 101, etc.) plus calc 1 & 2 and a few more upper level to complete.  Quite a few of the nuke and the NRRPT overlap and I've been told (haven't verified) that the nuke training itself is worth 65-70 credit hours nowadays.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 08:01 by walstib »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #46 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:25 »
You've received excellent advice here...very unlikely you will get any college credit from being in the pipeline.  

My son enlisted in the Nuke program four years ago at the ripe old age of seventeen.  His plan from day one was:

1. Nuke pipeline:  completed

2. SPU: completed  If you want Nuke Officer, you can only be picked up for an officer program if you are at a training command (not in the fleet) A school, Power School, Prototype, SPU.  SPU is push button promotion to E-5, and a big reenlistment bonus.  SPU is also an eight year commitment (total) with the first four on shore, the last four at sea (starting at the bottom all over again) if you don't get an Officer program.  

3. USNA or STA-21: In process--Picked up STA-21 11/09 pilot select.  The choice was STA-21 because my son like the idea of getting E-5 pay to go to school.  Three years, three tries to get picked up.  He doesn't know for sure, but he believes he would have been picked up Nuke Officer the first or second time had he wanted Nuke Officer. He starts at the Citadel next month with all tuition paid by the STA-21 program.  Six credits xfer from TESC -- 2 calc courses.  My son plans on re-taking calc at school because "he didn't learn anything  from the on-line calc courses".  

4. flight school.  If he graduates in three years with a commission he goes to flight school.

5. pilot  If he makes it through flight school he may be a Naval Aviator five or six years from now.

Anything is possible.  Having the God given aptitude to be a Nuke is only the ticket to show.
Drive, determination, maturity, attitude, and work ethic are much more important.  Be selfish if you go in.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Don't be the guy who gets separated from the Navy because he gets a hit and run DUI the night before Power School Graduation (like my son's friend did).  Study hard and try to have a little fun when you have time.  The pipeline is no joke.  The vast majority make it through, however, some do not.  Sometimes there are tragedies in the pipeline with the most dire consequences.  If you consider taking a dirt nap dire, of course.

It's real life.  There are risks and consequences for every choice you make. Choose wisely and do what's best for you and your career.  Live with your decisions and be prepared to work very, very hard, because, if you enlist and are determined to excel, you won't have a choice to do anything else.  Good luck.    
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 08:44 by Wareal »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #47 on: Jul 29, 2010, 01:14 »
You've received excellent advice here...very unlikely you will get any college credit from being in the pipeline.  

My son enlisted in the Nuke program four years ago at the ripe old age of seventeen.  His plan from day one was:

1. Nuke pipeline:  completed

2. SPU: completed  If you want Nuke Officer, you can only be picked up for an officer program if you are at a training command (not in the fleet) A school, Power School, Prototype, SPU.  SPU is push button promotion to E-5, and a big reenlistment bonus.  SPU is also an eight year commitment (total) with the first four on shore, the last four at sea (starting at the bottom all over again) if you don't get an Officer program.  

3. USNA or STA-21: In process--Picked up STA-21 11/09 pilot select.  The choice was STA-21 because my son like the idea of getting E-5 pay to go to school.  Three years, three tries to get picked up.  He doesn't know for sure, but he believes he would have been picked up Nuke Officer the first or second time had he wanted Nuke Officer. He starts at the Citadel next month with all tuition paid by the STA-21 program.  Six credits xfer from TESC -- 2 calc courses.  My son plans on re-taking calc at school because "he didn't learn anything  from the on-line calc courses".  

4. flight school.  If he graduates in three years with a commission he goes to flight school.

5. pilot  If he makes it through flight school he may be a Naval Aviator five or six years from now.

Anything is possible.  Having the God given aptitude to be a Nuke is only the ticket to show.
Drive, determination, maturity, attitude, and work ethic are much more important.  Be selfish if you go in.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Don't be the guy who gets separated from the Navy because he gets a hit and run DUI the night before Power School Graduation (like my son's friend did).  Study hard and try to have a little fun when you have time.  The pipeline is no joke.  The vast majority make it through, however, some do not.  Sometimes there are tragedies in the pipeline with the most dire consequences.  If you consider taking a dirt nap dire, of course.

It's real life.  There are risks and consequences for every choice you make. Choose wisely and do what's best for you and your career.  Live with your decisions and be prepared to work very, very hard, because, if you enlist and are determined to excel, you won't have a choice to do anything else.  Good luck.    

If he becomes a pilot and moves on to a possible command of a carrier he will have to go back to Nuke school as an officer, at least that is how it use to be we had a number of senior officers in the pipeline because they were prospective carrier COs.

Good luck to your son.  +K

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #48 on: Jul 29, 2010, 10:17 »
Thank you for the input Marlin.  I'm not sure my son ever thought about going back through the pipeline as a pilot.   :o  By the time he finishes his pilot commitment, he'll have seventeen years of service.  Perhaps he'll retire right before he has to go back through the pipeline.  :)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #49 on: Jul 30, 2010, 06:39 »
 If you want Nuke Officer, you can only be picked up for an officer program if you are at a training command (not in the fleet) A school, Power School, Prototype, SPU.  

All in all, very good advice.

However, the above statement is not true.  There are lots of nuclear fleet sailors who select for commissioning programs every year, some even nuclear option.

Cheers,
GC

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #50 on: Jul 30, 2010, 06:41 »
   If he becomes a pilot and moves on to a possible command of a carrier he will have to go back to Nuke school as an officer, at least that is how it use to be we had a number of senior officers in the pipeline because they were prospective carrier COs.

Good luck to your son.  +K
Thank you for the input Marlin.  I'm not sure my son ever thought about going back through the pipeline as a pilot.   :o  By the time he finishes his pilot commitment, he'll have seventeen years of service.  Perhaps he'll retire right before he has to go back through the pipeline.  :)

If your son has the option to go back through the pipeline as an aviator, he should do it.  75% of those guys go on to become Flag Officers.

Cheers,
GC

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #51 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:12 »
All in all, very good advice.

However, the above statement is not true.  There are lots of nuclear fleet sailors who select for commissioning programs every year, some even nuclear option.

Cheers,
GC

My son gave me bad gouge!  Thank you for the correction Gamecock.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #52 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:47 »
My son gave me bad gouge!  Thank you for the correction Gamecock.

No problem.

Nobody can know everything about everything.  It takes all of us working together to get the right information/advice to those seeking it. 

I appreciate your perspective as a father of a successful Nuke.

Cheers,
GC

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #53 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:55 »
If your son has the option to go back through the pipeline as an aviator, he should do it.  75% of those guys go on to become Flag Officers.

Cheers,
GC

I agree.  My reply to Marlin was in jest.  After nearly four years in the pipeline my son is/was ready for a change, including going to the fleet.  I'm sure if he ever gets the opportunity to go back through the pipeline as a pilot, he'll do it.  Naturally, he will be in a very different place as a man.  God willing he'll have more wisdom and perspective.

My job, as his dad, is to help him focus on doing his absolute best today.  If I do that, I'm satisfied, and the rest should take care of itself.  All I wanted for my son when he enlisted was for him to learn a bit about work, discipline, and self confidence.  If he had done his six and out, I'd be happy.  Six and out would have been more than enough to give him an excellent start in life.  The only problem I have with STA-21 is that it really seems too good to be true.  However, I have no perspective.  I can only assume, as with most things military, everything you get, you earn.  Then of course, at some point, there's that "harm's way" thing.  Thank you for your service.  

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #54 on: Aug 01, 2010, 09:00 »
Tell your son we thank him for standing the watch, and wish him Godspeed in all his duties,... :)

I certainly will. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?