Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice regarding Nuclear Program?  

Author Topic: Advice regarding Nuclear Program?  (Read 28711 times)

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
Re: Advice regarding Nuclear Program?
« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2010, 12:05 »
No apologies necessary.  Many people speak of this "dreaded interview" on this and other Forums at length.   

Usually, the ADM asks much harder questions that are not academic.   "Why did you not do your best and get a 4.0 GPA?"  Etc.   Sometimes there are no right/wrong answers, but how you answer and your particular situation is what is being assessed.   

Now the 3-4 interviewers before the ADM...those you have to worry about.

Yikes.  Sounds harder than the if Train A leaves from Station 1 going X mph type questions. 
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 2010, 07:57 »
I do not really have the money to pay for school unless I take out student loans(and I am very hesitant to do this) because I already have one outstanding loan that is about 1,000 dollars right now.
Seriously?

I know you may be young and $1k seems like crazy debt, but it's really nothing. You actually have several options here, and it's a shame that none of the recruiters are considering your long term interests when speaking to you. However, we don't know how you approached the situation. Anywhoo:

1) Enlisting for the purpose of using the GI bill to become an officer is out of the question. After 6 years of AD nuke, you will most likely be 29 years old, which is the age limit with a prior enlisted waiver... and you haven't started college yet. Your only hope would be getting picked up for STA-21 while enlisted, but that program is extremely competitive. At the very least, I wouldn't hang my long term career hopes on it, particularly if your SAT scores aren't so hot. Despite what any recruiter might say, you are not guaranteed a commissioning slot from the enlisted nuke pipeline... far from it. So if you choose to enlist, do it because you want to be a nuke because that's likely the path you'll stay in. You can use the GI bill after your first commitment and go on to another fruitful career after getting a degree, or you can reenlist and work your way toward fouled anchors and being a deckplate leader. Down the line (meaning 10+ years of service) you can consider applying for LDO or warrant if that's your thing, too. Unfortunately, URL officer programs will not be in the cards for you, though.

2) You should be searching google for any and all sorts of scholarships out there. There is a ton of money that is there for the taking that people don't take advantage of. You should also be researching state/community colleges that usually offer reduced tuition to in-state residents. When it comes to most URL commissioning programs, any degree + good grades with leadership roles in jobs and extra-curricular activities can get you there.

2) You can contact an NROTC recruiter and seek options there, including scholarship. Downside: scholarships are only given to technical degrees. However, NROTC students are not guaranteed a designator, so you are at the whims of the needs of the Navy. Having said that, if you want sub nuke and have the grades you'll probably get it... it's not a very popular choice and sometimes people are voluntold to go subs under the statement that NROTC contracts implicitly volunteer you for sub duty. Also, if cost is a concern you might run into issues with NROTC not being at the school you wish to attend.

3) You can take loans for two years of college, get A's, and then apply for NUPOC. You will make enough money with E-6 pay + BAH during your next two years to afford college and put some toward paying off loans (you can also work a part-time job if you still want to), and the 11k you'll get for signing a contract will put a nice dent in your loans from the first two years. You can also use the USAA commissioning loan, which is $25k at a low interest rate (4% right now I think) to effectively consolidate any high-interest loans (payment for the USAA loan is ~600/mo, affordable as a single Ensign). That pretty much gives you $36k to work with. You should definitely be looking at in-state public schools in order to minimize tuition costs if loans are freaking you out. Bear in mind that you have to commission by 27, so you're looking at having to complete school in 3 1/2 years if you enroll this fall. I honestly think NUPOC is one of the best programs in the Navy for commissioning...the reason it beats NROTC is because the money is yours to spend however you like, and if you get some scholarship money as suggested above then you'll be set.

4) I think USNA is out of the question due to your age.

The downside to all the above is that you need a backup plan in case you become medically disqualified, either due to injury or because you have some condition that you didn't know you have (partially colorblind, for example).

So decide if you want to be an enlisted nuke or an officer, and then go that route. You obviously have several options available to you. Do what you need to do to achieve that goal, and if taking out some loans is going to do that then do it. Unfortunately, your age means that you most likely can't have both. Ideally, the recruiters would have had the above conversation with you, but the enlisted one probably just wants to meet his quota and the OCS one is probably at goal and just perceived you as a clueless, non-eligible applicant who wasn't worth her time (which you kinda were).
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2010, 08:20 by spekkio »

jabONE

« Reply #27 on: Jun 28, 2010, 11:46 »
Ok I took the Nuke test today and I think I did ok but I do not know if I did good enough to get the Nuke program. I needed to get 61 out of 80 questions right. Now the question is, if I don't get Nuke should I go ahead and enlist and find something else I'd like to do i.e. a non-Nuke ET or MM among a few other choices? Or should I wait the 30 days and retake the ASVAB since I have more time to prepare for it and I've actually got material to study now instead of just making an appointment to take the ASVAB and then 2 days later taking it? This is a tough decision for me because I REALLY REALLY want Nuke but I also hate my job now and wanna get out of their ASAP and think I could still enjoy doing something else in the Navy even if it's not exactly what I want.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #28 on: Jun 29, 2010, 12:14 »
50 quatloos against

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #29 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:14 »

Three years of college credits from the Naval Nuclear Program is utter BS. Most accredited colleges and universities might give you 6 months worth of credits if you're lucky.

I got one class (3 hours) of credit for enlisted nuclear training.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #30 on: Jun 29, 2010, 09:17 »
I agree that where you get your degree from *probably* doesn't matter.  Of course, it's a very competitive program and if there's one spot and 10 applicants with the same GPA, great recommendations, evals, etc., I'd imagine they'd go with the "better" degree.  But then again, I'm not the one picking the sailors.

However, you have to be hand selected by the admiral to become a nuke officer.  If you make it that far, you'll have an interview with him.  He's going to ask you some really tough science, engineering, and math questions.

The Admiral does not ask technical questions.  

Now the 3-4 interviewers before the ADM...those you have to worry about.

Those guys that do the technical interviews are really stellar       ;)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 09:20 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Jun 29, 2010, 10:32 »
Ok I took the Nuke test today and I think I did ok but I do not know if I did good enough to get the Nuke program. I needed to get 61 out of 80 questions right. Now the question is, if I don't get Nuke should I go ahead and enlist and find something else I'd like to do i.e. a non-Nuke ET or MM among a few other choices? Or should I wait the 30 days and retake the ASVAB since I have more time to prepare for it and I've actually got material to study now instead of just making an appointment to take the ASVAB and then 2 days later taking it? This is a tough decision for me because I REALLY REALLY want Nuke but I also hate my job now and wanna get out of their ASAP and think I could still enjoy doing something else in the Navy even if it's not exactly what I want.

I don't know how it works now, but 17 years ago when I joined, I took the nuke test, went to lunch, came back and found out my scores, so I don't know why you don't have them yet. Honestly, if your ASVAB score was high enough for you to take the nuke test, you probably don't need to retake it.

All the other questions are things you should ask yourself, not us. If you REALLY, REALLY want nuke, and you don't make the cut, ask yourself if you will be happy doing anything else. Remember, the navy has a rating for just about anything, just make sure you get anything the recruiter offers you in writing.

jabONE

« Reply #32 on: Jun 29, 2010, 12:44 »
I don't know how it works now, but 17 years ago when I joined, I took the nuke test, went to lunch, came back and found out my scores, so I don't know why you don't have them yet. Honestly, if your ASVAB score was high enough for you to take the nuke test, you probably don't need to retake it.

All the other questions are things you should ask yourself, not us. If you REALLY, REALLY want nuke, and you don't make the cut, ask yourself if you will be happy doing anything else. Remember, the navy has a rating for just about anything, just make sure you get anything the recruiter offers you in writing.

On the ASVAB I needed to get a 252 combined score on 4 parts of the test(can't remember which ones it was exactly), and I got a 229. If you take the Nuclear Test then you have to have those same 4 parts plus the Nuke test combine for a 290. Since I got a 229 I needed a 61 on the NUKE test which means I had to get 61 of the 80 questions right. I really want nuclear but I think I could be happy doing another job.  I just wanna get out of the job I have now because I hate it with a passion.

co60slr

« Reply #33 on: Jun 29, 2010, 02:24 »
Those guys that do the technical interviews are really stellar       ;)
...and if this Forum had a "BS Cutback" Function, an alarm would've been activated.   :P

My favorite question:  "If the earth had a hole going from one end, through the center of it to the other side, and you dropped a ball into it...what would happen?"

jabONE

« Reply #34 on: Jun 29, 2010, 04:17 »
Well assuming it were actually possible to do the ball would be nonexistent when it gets closer the center of the Earth.

Offline hogs

• Light User
« Reply #35 on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:04 »
Well assuming it were actually possible to do the ball would be nonexistent when it gets closer the center of the Earth.

I am having trouble with this.  You mean because the ball would melt and cease to be a ball?  I hadn't thought of it that way.  Interesting perspective!

Edit:  JabONE, a typical response would be that the ball would pass up the center and boomerang back and forth, or would slow due to air resistance before finishing at the center.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2010, 05:22 by hogs »

jabONE

« Reply #36 on: Jun 29, 2010, 05:57 »
Well that too but yes before that could even happen the ball would melt and cease to be a ball.

jabONE

« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2010, 01:01 »
Ok so here's an update. I took the Nuke test on Monday and got my results back today. I needed a 61 to qualify and I got a 55. So I am right there not too far off. I am going to wait 30 days and retake the ASVAB and study for about 2-3 hours each day. All I need to do is improve my Nuclear or Electronics score by 6 points and I'm in. :)

jabONE

« Reply #38 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:14 »
55 on the ASVAB.....even a 61 would not be a predictor of success in Nuclear. You might want to consider a field other than Nuke , such as IT, seeing as how NPS and Prototype are about 6.02x1023 bajillion harder than the ASVAB. Just sayin.

No I got an 89 on the ASVAB with a 229 in the Nuclear section and a 219 in the Eletronics section. I did not qualify for the Nuke Program with my line scores on the ASVAB so I had to take the NUKE test. I needed a 61 on the NUKE test and I got a 55. So now I am waiting the 30 days to retake the ASVAB and try to improve my Nuclear section from a 229 to a 235 or my Electronics from a 219 to a 225. Either way I will make it into the Nuke program.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #39 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:40 »
Well then....good luck!

jabONE

« Reply #40 on: Jul 01, 2010, 02:46 »
Well then....good luck!

Thanks!!! I actually did alot better on the Nuke test than I thought I did. I thought I completely bombed it cause I mean I didn't have any time to study for the ASVAB or the Nuke test when I took both. I've been out of school going on 4 years so I thought I did pretty good on both tests given that fact. Now I'll actually have 3 weeks to prepare for the ASVAB and I've taken it once so I know what it's going to be like. All in all I should be more prepared for the ASVAB and surely 3 weeks of studying for about 2 hours a day will get the me the 6 points that I need. :)

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #41 on: Jul 01, 2010, 08:14 »
Thanks!!! I actually did alot better on the Nuke test than I thought I did. I thought I completely bombed it cause I mean I didn't have any time to study for the ASVAB or the Nuke test when I took both. I've been out of school going on 4 years so I thought I did pretty good on both tests given that fact. Now I'll actually have 3 weeks to prepare for the ASVAB and I've taken it once so I know what it's going to be like. All in all I should be more prepared for the ASVAB and surely 3 weeks of studying for about 2 hours a day will get the me the 6 points that I need. :)

I had this huge post written about how you should think twice about the Nuke program if you struggled with the ASVAB (by far the easiest test you'll ever take as a nuke). About how hard the program is on several different levels to those not familiar with the Navy's way of doing things. About how you'd most likely fail out because you're just not smart enough to assimilate and spew out all of the information on request.

I'm not going to tell you that. I've seen the dumb, lazy, and the distracted pull themselves together enough to graduate against all odds. Just be prepared to dig deep and learn new things about yourself under stress.

If you think you have it in you and you want it bad enough, then by-all-means show everyone your level of dedication and what you're willing to go through to achieve your goal.

jabONE

« Reply #42 on: Jul 01, 2010, 12:24 »
Definitely Yaeger. I know it isn't going to be easy but I am dedicated. It has taken me 4 long years to figure out what I want to do with my life and now that I have found it I'm not going to give up easily. I didn't struggle on the ASVAB, but the Nuke test however was different. After I took the test I thought I completely bombed the test but when I got back my scores it was a different story. I did much better than I thought I did which really gave me a confidence boost. All I need to do now is study for about 3 weeks for the ASVAB and surely I can get 6 more points.

jabONE

« Reply #43 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:49 »
Well thanks for the advice from everyone who has posted and I apologize for some of the stupid things I may have said. I just re-took the ASVAB today and I improved my Nuclear Line Score from a 229 to a 240 and my electronics from a 219 to a 231. With my NAPT test at 55 that gets me into the Nuke program. So I can't wait to sign up and get shipped off and be a Nuke. :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #44 on: Jul 28, 2010, 10:16 »
good luck!

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #45 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:00 »
I got one class (3 hours) of credit for enlisted nuclear training.

Cheers,
GC
When I got out you couldn't get hardly anything because the colleges couldn't review the Navy's material.  Now most  of the material has been declassified so the colleges can review what you've been taught.

I checked with Edison College in N.J. and between my enlisted nuke training and the NRRPT I get 84 credits towards a nuclear engineering technology degree.  This is an accredited college program.  Downside is most of the credits are upper level.  I would still have to get 36 credits in the humanities, (English 101, etc.) plus calc 1 & 2 and a few more upper level to complete.  Quite a few of the nuke and the NRRPT overlap and I've been told (haven't verified) that the nuke training itself is worth 65-70 credit hours nowadays.
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 08:01 by walstib »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #46 on: Jul 29, 2010, 08:25 »
You've received excellent advice here...very unlikely you will get any college credit from being in the pipeline.  

My son enlisted in the Nuke program four years ago at the ripe old age of seventeen.  His plan from day one was:

1. Nuke pipeline:  completed

2. SPU: completed  If you want Nuke Officer, you can only be picked up for an officer program if you are at a training command (not in the fleet) A school, Power School, Prototype, SPU.  SPU is push button promotion to E-5, and a big reenlistment bonus.  SPU is also an eight year commitment (total) with the first four on shore, the last four at sea (starting at the bottom all over again) if you don't get an Officer program.  

3. USNA or STA-21: In process--Picked up STA-21 11/09 pilot select.  The choice was STA-21 because my son like the idea of getting E-5 pay to go to school.  Three years, three tries to get picked up.  He doesn't know for sure, but he believes he would have been picked up Nuke Officer the first or second time had he wanted Nuke Officer. He starts at the Citadel next month with all tuition paid by the STA-21 program.  Six credits xfer from TESC -- 2 calc courses.  My son plans on re-taking calc at school because "he didn't learn anything  from the on-line calc courses".  

4. flight school.  If he graduates in three years with a commission he goes to flight school.

5. pilot  If he makes it through flight school he may be a Naval Aviator five or six years from now.

Anything is possible.  Having the God given aptitude to be a Nuke is only the ticket to show.
Drive, determination, maturity, attitude, and work ethic are much more important.  Be selfish if you go in.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Don't be the guy who gets separated from the Navy because he gets a hit and run DUI the night before Power School Graduation (like my son's friend did).  Study hard and try to have a little fun when you have time.  The pipeline is no joke.  The vast majority make it through, however, some do not.  Sometimes there are tragedies in the pipeline with the most dire consequences.  If you consider taking a dirt nap dire, of course.

It's real life.  There are risks and consequences for every choice you make. Choose wisely and do what's best for you and your career.  Live with your decisions and be prepared to work very, very hard, because, if you enlist and are determined to excel, you won't have a choice to do anything else.  Good luck.    
« Last Edit: Jul 29, 2010, 08:44 by Wareal »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #47 on: Jul 29, 2010, 01:14 »
You've received excellent advice here...very unlikely you will get any college credit from being in the pipeline.  

My son enlisted in the Nuke program four years ago at the ripe old age of seventeen.  His plan from day one was:

1. Nuke pipeline:  completed

2. SPU: completed  If you want Nuke Officer, you can only be picked up for an officer program if you are at a training command (not in the fleet) A school, Power School, Prototype, SPU.  SPU is push button promotion to E-5, and a big reenlistment bonus.  SPU is also an eight year commitment (total) with the first four on shore, the last four at sea (starting at the bottom all over again) if you don't get an Officer program.  

3. USNA or STA-21: In process--Picked up STA-21 11/09 pilot select.  The choice was STA-21 because my son like the idea of getting E-5 pay to go to school.  Three years, three tries to get picked up.  He doesn't know for sure, but he believes he would have been picked up Nuke Officer the first or second time had he wanted Nuke Officer. He starts at the Citadel next month with all tuition paid by the STA-21 program.  Six credits xfer from TESC -- 2 calc courses.  My son plans on re-taking calc at school because "he didn't learn anything  from the on-line calc courses".  

4. flight school.  If he graduates in three years with a commission he goes to flight school.

5. pilot  If he makes it through flight school he may be a Naval Aviator five or six years from now.

Anything is possible.  Having the God given aptitude to be a Nuke is only the ticket to show.
Drive, determination, maturity, attitude, and work ethic are much more important.  Be selfish if you go in.  Keep your eye on the prize.  Don't be the guy who gets separated from the Navy because he gets a hit and run DUI the night before Power School Graduation (like my son's friend did).  Study hard and try to have a little fun when you have time.  The pipeline is no joke.  The vast majority make it through, however, some do not.  Sometimes there are tragedies in the pipeline with the most dire consequences.  If you consider taking a dirt nap dire, of course.

It's real life.  There are risks and consequences for every choice you make. Choose wisely and do what's best for you and your career.  Live with your decisions and be prepared to work very, very hard, because, if you enlist and are determined to excel, you won't have a choice to do anything else.  Good luck.    

If he becomes a pilot and moves on to a possible command of a carrier he will have to go back to Nuke school as an officer, at least that is how it use to be we had a number of senior officers in the pipeline because they were prospective carrier COs.

Good luck to your son.  +K

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #48 on: Jul 29, 2010, 10:17 »
Thank you for the input Marlin.  I'm not sure my son ever thought about going back through the pipeline as a pilot.   :o  By the time he finishes his pilot commitment, he'll have seventeen years of service.  Perhaps he'll retire right before he has to go back through the pipeline.  :)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
« Reply #49 on: Jul 30, 2010, 06:39 »
 If you want Nuke Officer, you can only be picked up for an officer program if you are at a training command (not in the fleet) A school, Power School, Prototype, SPU.  

All in all, very good advice.

However, the above statement is not true.  There are lots of nuclear fleet sailors who select for commissioning programs every year, some even nuclear option.

Cheers,
GC

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?