Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice regarding Nuclear Program?

Author Topic: Advice regarding Nuclear Program?  (Read 28707 times)

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Advice regarding Nuclear Program?
« Reply #50 on: Jul 30, 2010, 06:41 »
   If he becomes a pilot and moves on to a possible command of a carrier he will have to go back to Nuke school as an officer, at least that is how it use to be we had a number of senior officers in the pipeline because they were prospective carrier COs.

Good luck to your son.  +K
Thank you for the input Marlin.  I'm not sure my son ever thought about going back through the pipeline as a pilot.   :o  By the time he finishes his pilot commitment, he'll have seventeen years of service.  Perhaps he'll retire right before he has to go back through the pipeline.  :)

If your son has the option to go back through the pipeline as an aviator, he should do it.  75% of those guys go on to become Flag Officers.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Wareal

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #51 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:12 »
All in all, very good advice.

However, the above statement is not true.  There are lots of nuclear fleet sailors who select for commissioning programs every year, some even nuclear option.

Cheers,
GC

My son gave me bad gouge!  Thank you for the correction Gamecock.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #52 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:47 »
My son gave me bad gouge!  Thank you for the correction Gamecock.

No problem.

Nobody can know everything about everything.  It takes all of us working together to get the right information/advice to those seeking it. 

I appreciate your perspective as a father of a successful Nuke.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #53 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:55 »
If your son has the option to go back through the pipeline as an aviator, he should do it.  75% of those guys go on to become Flag Officers.

Cheers,
GC

I agree.  My reply to Marlin was in jest.  After nearly four years in the pipeline my son is/was ready for a change, including going to the fleet.  I'm sure if he ever gets the opportunity to go back through the pipeline as a pilot, he'll do it.  Naturally, he will be in a very different place as a man.  God willing he'll have more wisdom and perspective.

My job, as his dad, is to help him focus on doing his absolute best today.  If I do that, I'm satisfied, and the rest should take care of itself.  All I wanted for my son when he enlisted was for him to learn a bit about work, discipline, and self confidence.  If he had done his six and out, I'd be happy.  Six and out would have been more than enough to give him an excellent start in life.  The only problem I have with STA-21 is that it really seems too good to be true.  However, I have no perspective.  I can only assume, as with most things military, everything you get, you earn.  Then of course, at some point, there's that "harm's way" thing.  Thank you for your service.  

Offline Wareal

• Light User
« Reply #54 on: Aug 01, 2010, 09:00 »
Tell your son we thank him for standing the watch, and wish him Godspeed in all his duties,... :)

I certainly will. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?