Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I am hunting a house job  

Author Topic: I am hunting a house job  (Read 11511 times)

Offline Bandit5160

• Lurker
I am hunting a house job
« on: Jul 01, 2011, 03:04 »
I just recently graduated from a Radaition Protection program at Spartanburg Community College (in SC), and I am interested in pursuing a house job...the program was sponsored by Duke Energy, but since they are in the process of merging with Progress Energy, neither Duke or Progress are currently hiring, so Duke has not scheduled me an interview as of yet.  I have worjked two paid internships (one at McGuire and one at Oconee) and as a contractor with Bartlett at Catawba so far.  My question is what is the best way to get my resume out to all of the nuclear plants.  I knwo I can post it to this site, but is there anymore I could do?  I wanted to get addresses and phone numbers for plants across the country and personally contact some of them, but that info is very hard to find.  What is the best thing for me to do to let these plants know I am available and looking for a house RP position?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: I am hunting a house job
« Reply #1 on: Jul 01, 2011, 04:04 »
I just recently graduated from a Radaition Protection program at Spartanburg Community College (in SC), and I am interested in pursuing a house job...the program was sponsored by Duke Energy, but since they are in the process of merging with Progress Energy, neither Duke or Progress are currently hiring, so Duke has not scheduled me an interview as of yet.  I have worjked two paid internships (one at McGuire and one at Oconee) and as a contractor with Bartlett at Catawba so far.  My question is what is the best way to get my resume out to all of the nuclear plants.  I knwo I can post it to this site, but is there anymore I could do?  I wanted to get addresses and phone numbers for plants across the country and personally contact some of them, but that info is very hard to find.  What is the best thing for me to do to let these plants know I am available and looking for a house RP position?

I'd work on spelling and grammar.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2011, 10:21 »
Start with working as a contractor until you are ANSI 3.1.  An AS from Spartanburg and your internships probably put you half-way there.  So, figure another year or so as a Jr. RP Tech.  You have already cleared the first hurdle.  You got a badge at a nuke plant.  That is actually a bigger point in your favor than the schooling was.  Yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense, but that's the way it is.
So, keep doing the Bartlett thing until you are a Senior.  There are more house jobs for Sr. Techs. than for Jr's.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Radwasted

• In nuclear war all men are cremated equal.
  • Light User
  • Sr HP Cal Tech
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2011, 02:15 »

Yeah spelling and grammer would help you greatly. You want to get into a field about radiation and you misspelled radiation.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.” Max Planck

putunxtc

« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2011, 07:52 »
Yeah spelling and grammer would help you greatly. You want to get into a field about radiation and you misspelled radiation.

and how do you spell grammar?  duh!

ashr0286

« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2011, 03:33 »

Yeah, spelling and GRAMMAR would help you greatly.  You want to get into a field about radiation and you misspelled radiation?

Offline Bandit5160

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:11 »
Start with working as a contractor until you are ANSI 3.1.  An AS from Spartanburg and your internships probably put you half-way there.  So, figure another year or so as a Jr. RP Tech.  You have already cleared the first hurdle.  You got a badge at a nuke plant.  That is actually a bigger point in your favor than the schooling was.  Yeah, it doesn't seem to make sense, but that's the way it is.
So, keep doing the Bartlett thing until you are a Senior.  There are more house jobs for Sr. Techs. than for Jr's.

Thank you for your help.  In the future I will watch my typos- though on most message boards they are really no big deal to people.  But I know that I am smart.  I finished first in my graduating class, and I have already passed the NUF exam.  I have gotten very good evaluations from the plants I have worked in so far.  I am very capable and would make an excellent house tech.  Though I don't consider myself to be an arrogant individual, I am not afraid to toot my own horn if it will get me noticed for jobs.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2011, 02:32 by Bandit5160 »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:34 »
Thank you for your help.  In the future I will watch my typos- though on most message boards they are really no big deal to people.

That is one of the ways this 'message board' is different than most. Many of the people you may end up working for are frequent visitors to this site, even if they do not post. What you do or say could very well reflect on you and affect your chances of success. Think of this as a potential first impression and take the time to at least click the handy button below the text box.

It's not exactly Facebook or Twitter.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:47 »
It's not exactly Facebook or Twitter.

Curmudgeons-R-Us    [coffee]

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:52 »
Curmudgeons-R-Us    [coffee]

I prefer Professionals-We-Is.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2011, 11:14 »
AKIMA is looking for some techs at Lawrence Livermore Lab.  It may not be a house job, but it's pretty close.  Go to the LLNL website and follow the links for employment.
It would be working at the National Ignition Facility (NIF).  You can investigate that online as well.
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

slattmandu

« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2011, 12:56 »
Keep on the path you are on. And don't expect it to happen over night. Sometimes it takes multiple interviews or years of hunting to secure a permanent position.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2011, 01:30 »
Work an outage. When you are there, do a good job. If you like the plant, ask about a house job. A lot of plants hire right after an outage. They will choose their candidates from the contractors first.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2011, 12:15 »
Good advice from all

Just to add Duke/progress should finish the merger (gosh I hope thats spelled correctly) by the end of the year from what I hear.  Duke looks at newhires dependent upon the job they post.  If its a beginning house job with Duke I think they look for Spartanburg grads first then perhaps contractors.

two cents

sf

Offline loki

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2011, 01:44 »
 if your female and over 40 dont even think of trying to get into prairie island

Offline loki

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Jul 20, 2011, 02:57 »
 at PI if your female, young and blonde with the intelligence to prove it. you got a shot

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?