Career Path > Safety

Hazard Mapping/Systems of Safety

<< < (2/3) > >>

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: mostlyharmless on Jun 30, 2010, 11:22 ---The only thing we have at srs that comes close is placards (on boundaries , typically nonrad, set up by consruction ) noting entry requirements ,hazard ,ppe required. We dont post copies of surveys at entrances either. Dont have status boards.
I,m wondering if safety will move towards positions similar to HPs.

--- End quote ---

Initially, you might need a few people to put the maps together.  After that, I think one person would keep up with it fairly easily at most sites.  I base that estimate on only using it for static conditions.  I don't see it being very useful in a dynamic working site and think you would cover rapidly changing conditions the way you do now.  (Pre-job briefs, on-the-job safety reps, etc)

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: Sun Dog on Jun 30, 2010, 03:37 ---They may be of limited use during task planning or a PJB but that is about it.
--- End quote ---

I Love PB&J!  What?  There is no PB&J?  It's a PJB? This meeting sucks.  I'm heading to the Cafeteria.

What do you mean I'm off topic?  But I'm so witty.

Um.... SAFETY.

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Sun Dog on Jun 30, 2010, 05:52 ---I think documenting static unsafe conditions on maps and then making the maps available on the intranet would be better than posting them at the entrance to the area.  This way, planners could use them to assist in planning safety into the work packages.  Supervisors and foremen could pull them up to help them perform PJBs.  Not much different than the way many sites have done hazard characterizations of all known confined spaces on the property.  The confined space characterizations really come in handy, especially for first time entrants or travelers new to the site.

Like you said earlier, you will not take a look at the safety map the second time you enter the area, unless conditions have changed.  I am not sure how you would know that the conditions have changed without looking at the map or going in the area and finding out the old fashioned way.

SD  

--- End quote ---

I agree that a central, electronically-accessible group of hazard maps would be a significant improvement on just posting them at the jobsite.  I am going to recommend we implement that at my utility.  Thanks!

I think most changed conditions would be covered at morning meetings.  I'm strictly looking at this from a house-geek @ operating plant standpoint right now...I'm sure I will have to re-think a lot of my ideas when it comes outage time and things start to morph rapidly...

Anyway, for now I see most affected workgroups keeping up with conditions via their morning meeting - and anyone else would have a posted hazard map to refresh themselves on.  Hazard mapping is NOT intended to replace use of 'Danger' or 'Caution' tape, so when any new hazards were introduced to an area they would still be flagged.  That way I wouldn't walk into a tiger-trap just because I didn't read the map on my second (or eighteenth) visit to a room.   (Similar to the way I approach my use of radiological survey maps...if something changed, I expect a posting change in the area to keep me from getting crapped up, alarming my dosimeter, or whatever.)

proud dad:
PB&J is very safe
 Almost no chance of food poisoning.
 No need for a sharp knife for preparation, limiting the chance of laceration injuries.
 Unless dropped J side down almost no chance of slip and fall injuries.

Sorry,with respect.
 Alan

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: proud dad on Jun 30, 2010, 10:01 ---PB&J is very safe
 Almost no chance of food poisoning.
 No need for a sharp knife for preparation, limiting the chance of laceration injuries.
Unless dropped J side down almost no chance of slip and fall injuries.

Sorry,with respect.
 Alan

--- End quote ---

So, the dropped PB&J would be marked on the map...probably assigned a Level 1/Yellow (Low Consequence Physical Hazard).  Updated maps would be put at jobsite & on intranet.  A Deficiency Request would be generated to inform SSTs of need to mitigate hazard.  The DR number would be tracked on the hazard spreadsheet until completed.  Then, the PB&J incident would be marked 'resolved' on hazard spreadsheet & added to Success Trending for presentation to Management.  Hazard map would again be updated and reposted at jobsite & intranet.

Much better than the old way, right?  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version