Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Using GI Bill benefits while taking SRO course? honeypot

Author Topic: Using GI Bill benefits while taking SRO course?  (Read 6015 times)

manning1019

Using GI Bill benefits while taking SRO course?
« on: Jun 30, 2010, 03:03 »
Here is our situation. Husband works for Beaver Valley (PA). Worked there for two years as an RP Supervisor. Applied and was accepted into the two year SRO school conducted at the plant (license not certification course). We were told that because this is a two year accredited school, we can qualify and use the GI Bill benefits.

Has anyone done this before? I have called the VA and was told that the SRO school doesn't fall into any of the typical school categories - i.e. not a votec training or a degree course at a college.

We are really hoping to be able to get the GI benefits as our income will go down while he is in the school. He will still get base salary but will not work outages.

Any info/help would be appreciated.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Using GI Bill benefits while taking SRO course?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2010, 03:45 »
I do know that a co-worker was able to use his GI bill benefits when we went through our apprenticeship training about 6 years ago.  I'll try to get some info from him and post it for you and any others who might fall into the same category.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

co60slr

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2010, 03:54 »
Here is our situation. Husband works for Beaver Valley (PA). Worked there for two years as an RP Supervisor. Applied and was accepted into the two year SRO school conducted at the plant (license not certification course). We were told that because this is a two year accredited school, we can qualify and use the GI Bill benefits.

Has anyone done this before? I have called the VA and was told that the SRO school doesn't fall into any of the typical school categories - i.e. not a votec training or a degree course at a college.

We are really hoping to be able to get the GI benefits as our income will go down while he is in the school. He will still get base salary but will not work outages.

Any info/help would be appreciated.
Yes.

You can find Beaver Valley through here (although the link goes to a script and not a direct web page):
http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildViewOrg.do

The website indicates these three people are your VA Certifying Officials (aka, your new best friends):
Tammie Nicoletti-Bever Certifying Official for Programs
Thomas Gaydosik Certifying Official for Programs
William Rudolph Certifying Official for Programs

You need your VA Educational Certificate of Eligibility (i.e., verified veteran's benefit).
You need the SRO Training Plan (showing hours) from your Training Manager.
You need to apply (via VA.gov).
Then, you need to wait a LONGGGG time since St. Louis seems to give priority to college bound vets and leaves the "OJT" processing for last.  Be persistent though...same red tape that you're probably used to with any federal government program.

Co60

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2010, 05:16 »
We're talking about Montgomery GI bill here right? 

I know that there was talk of allowing the use of the Post 9/11 GI Bill for OJT stuff but it hadn't been approved last time I checked...
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2010, 07:25 »
To reaffirm what others have said, yes, he can draw OJT.

He needs to find out who at his plant is the VA coordinator to fill out all of the paperwork. The thing that sucks is, that the VA still exists in the 19th century so it is all just paper, which is then sent to the one person in the region that handles it, who only does OJT claims on Fridays, but they are so far behind on everything else since everything is manually done, that it will take months before he sees a penny. But, he will... eventually. How is that for a run on?  :P The best part of the experience will be when there is one little mistake in the paperwork, so they don't start paying the claim and never bother to tell you until you call 4 months later to find out what the hold up is. By that time you will get to resubmit it all again. Then, if you are lucky, you will get your monthly time sheets. Sometimes, you don't though and when you call, they tell you just to print one out and fill it out by hand and send it in.

It will be a wonderful 8 month experience trying to get paid, but you will, eventually. :)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2010, 11:51 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Jimmykroffa

• Light User
  • Nuclear Operator
« Reply #5 on: Jul 06, 2010, 12:01 »
I had the "Navy College Fund" and got about $1400 for the first 6 months, then a bit over $1000 for the next 6 months, then $666 for the final year for NLO OJT.

Stngray

« Reply #6 on: Jul 10, 2010, 02:39 »
I've drawn GI bill for NLO, then RO. I would also be eligible if I went SRO within my 10 year window. If someone from your husbands plant calls the VA, they will send someone out to explain all benefits and provide a point of contact.
« Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010, 02:40 by Stngray »

Fremont

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2010, 09:22 »
You or someone at the plant has to get the program certified. I got both our non-licensed and licensed operator training programs certified, one as Apprenticeship and one as OJT. They have obscure and odd rules. Fortunately, our State VA rep was very helpful.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?