Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu UMTRA Haul Truck Decon Methods.... honeypot

Author Topic: UMTRA Haul Truck Decon Methods....  (Read 7474 times)

chaco

UMTRA Haul Truck Decon Methods....
« on: Jun 30, 2010, 05:58 »
I'm looking for HPs and RCTs with historic experience in the UMTRA Program who possess information and details on the decon process on haul trucks exiting the disposal cell.  I'm gathering this info in an attempt to improve the efficiency and safety of a mill tailings project I'm working on currently.  It is my understanding that in most cases the loaded haul trucks were driven into the disposal cell, dumped and then deconned out on a decon pad.  I'm told that after the steep part of the learning curve was climbed, the deconners and the rad techs could process a truck through decon in approximately 2 minutes.  Any of you old UMTRA veterens out there?  Any help you can offer in the way of personal experience, project procedures and help contacting others with similar experience is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: UMTRA Haul Truck Decon Methods....
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2010, 08:18 »
I'm looking for HPs and RCTs with historic experience in the UMTRA Program who possess information and details on the decon process on haul trucks exiting the disposal cell.  I'm gathering this info in an attempt to improve the efficiency and safety of a mill tailings project I'm working on currently.  It is my understanding that in most cases the loaded haul trucks were driven into the disposal cell, dumped and then deconned out on a decon pad.  I'm told that after the steep part of the learning curve was climbed, the deconners and the rad techs could process a truck through decon in approximately 2 minutes.  Any of you old UMTRA veterens out there?  Any help you can offer in the way of personal experience, project procedures and help contacting others with similar experience is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

I am NOT an UMTRA vet, but I did another dirt job...take my comments for whatever you think they are worth...

We could move a dump truck through our tent in about 2 minutes also.  That took a team of 4(?) laborers & 4 RCTs.  The laborers would quickly wipe any residual dirt into the bed & cover the load (we were using drop-beds that would be subsequently loaded on another truck and sent across site to the burial gound.  They would dump it & send it back.)  Two RCTs could be frisking (on low-dose loads) and smearing the tires, while the other 2 dose rated/smeared the drop-bed.  Slap a tag on it, drop the rope, and out it goes...2 minutes.

Don't know if any/all of that is applicable to your question?
« Last Edit: Jul 03, 2010, 02:32 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Jr8black3

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2010, 09:20 »
 Depending where you are, I wouldn't be very comfortable releasing to much in 2 minutes, let alone a huge truck, Naa I wouldn't do it, just remember your name is the one going on the survey..Nope noway..Just my opinion, it's not worth much.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2010, 05:16 »
Depending where you are, I wouldn't be very comfortable releasing to much in 2 minutes, let alone a huge truck, Naa I wouldn't do it, just remember your name is the one going on the survey..Nope noway..Just my opinion, it's not worth much.

What we were doing was definitely NOT decon.  It WAS an adequate survey to allow a truck to exit the dig site, get rid of a full drop-bed, pick up an empty drop-bed, and re-enter the dig site without contaminating the drop-bed laydown area. 

Note:  I NEVER took a hot smear ANYWHERE on that dig site...so don't try my 2-minute technique if you have REAL contamination.  We were just ensuring we captured all the hot dirt clods...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

chaco

« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2010, 10:13 »
UncaBuffalo -

Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking to do.  Decon to the degree we can allow the truck to go back to the railhead, offload the container, load a full one and travel to the cell (all within a controlled area) and repeat as needed for the next 14 million cubic yards.  Anyone else out there with knowledge and experience?

mostlyharmless

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2010, 10:27 »
Controlling both ends of your travel path with surveys to insure contamination does not creep to were the truck tires go will cut down the truck release time and should get you were you need to go. Also make sure contaminated stuff doesnt fall out of the truck in rout.

fabshop64

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10, 2010, 11:25 »
We moved dirt and debris at Fernald for the excavation and cell construction. A 2 min. survey is pushing it, we did restricted release surveys on trucks where we had alpha and Beta gamma the beta gamma was easy the alpha was the tricky surveys we had to dry smears and tires at times, we had laborers and 2 HP'S assigned to the release points and it still took around 15 to 20 minuets to release the 25 and 30 ton haul trucks. The restricted release process was what bought us a lot all we do was a smear survey on the effected areas which was tires and the tail gate area where the material was dumper from

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:00 »
We moved dirt and debris at Fernald for the excavation and cell construction. A 2 min. survey is pushing it, we did restricted release surveys on trucks where we had alpha and Beta gamma the beta gamma was easy the alpha was the tricky surveys we had to dry smears and tires at times, we had laborers and 2 HP'S assigned to the release points and it still took around 15 to 20 minuets to release the 25 and 30 ton haul trucks. The restricted release process was what bought us a lot all we do was a smear survey on the effected areas which was tires and the tail gate area where the material was dumper from
If you take 15-20 minutes to conditionally release a haul truck where I work, you won't be there very long.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:41 »
I agree with unca and mostlyharmless.  Using a LAW on suspected contamination and smears on the tires will get you out in 2 mins.  Ensuring that the travel path to and from the loadout,is free of removable will allow for any doubt in not smearing 100% of surfaces.  Snowman must work at the lazy h too.  If it took me 15 mins to clear a haul truck, I wouldn't be around long!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?