Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NTC Orlando

Author Topic: NTC Orlando  (Read 48761 times)

Fermi2

Re: NTC Orlando
« Reply #25 on: Oct 14, 2009, 04:02 »
How about the guy in every class who fell in love and married a stripper? I knew a stripper there who was so marriable she'd been married to sailors 3 times. !!!

Offline 1way

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2009, 07:47 »
Completed Nuke school there in Orlando October of 1985...lots of good memories.  Never had the chance to see the place again.  Thanks to all who posted pictures.  I remember all us getting excited every weekend when the waves
got out of bootcamp there.  Spent a lot of time at the club on base shooting pool (can't recall the name of the club on base next to Nuke school...might have been the Mariner).  And who can forget the strippers.  I had the misfortune of being awakened in the middle of the night by the bunk mate below me who had managed to get one on the base and into the dorm.  They had a good time, but it made for a sleepless night for the rest of us!!

LaFeet

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 11:17 »
Huh   and I thought I was weird playing Riff Raff on stage for the Rocky Horror Picture Show Saturday Nights at the theater off Colonial.   

I do miss the all the beer and wine you could drink at the skating rinks (Tues -Fri),  that was a great place to pick up chicks.......... ahhhhh   the days of my stupid youth

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 05:19 »
Huh   and I thought I was weird playing Riff Raff on stage for the Rocky Horror Picture Show Saturday Nights at the theater off Colonial.   

I do miss the all the beer and wine you could drink at the skating rinks (Tues -Fri),  that was a great place to pick up chicks.......... ahhhhh   the days of my stupid youth
When were you there?  I probably saw you up on stage.

We never went to the skating rink, usually went to this little dive bar right next to that same theatre, where sfor some reason they let us drink, even though we were all under age.
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

LaFeet

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 12:28 »
I was in class 8102  I was there for about 4 months prior to staring school. Left in March of 81.

Jgutierrez

« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2010, 08:16 »
Hey guys, I moved to Winter park as a child and I remember seeing that ship and all of those buildings behind a wire fence and I knew it was a naval base, but the place always looked creepy all abandoned, I remember watching the USS Bluejacket getting demolished and I remember the new Middle School being built, I was the the first class to go through that school. There are still some old navy buildings left in the area, An abandoned VA  is left in urban decay( teenagers sneak in and party on the roof top), there are a few administrative buildings in the area used as offices now. its half park half fancy expensive homes.. there is also a  water treatment facility that is still in use. I just looked up some old photos of the place and even though I was a 9 year old I still think its crazy that there was a navy base in that area. If you guys need any photos of the place i'd be happy to take pictures, though it is a park, there are still a few buildings left.

co60slr

« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2010, 10:25 »
that's a pretty cool sentiment,... 8)

(I'm not as old as Marlin and have never used that "groovy" ad word, then again, I don't think Marlin ever made it to RTC or NTC Orlando)

+K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K +K
I wished I hadn't read this thread.   (Laughing).  Someone says "Hey, as a kid I saw them tear down your old base".   Seems like when "I" was a kid, I was walking into NPS Orlando all starry-eyed with nuclear.   

Seems like just yesterday.  (sniff, sniff).   :-)

C'mon...someone make us feel better and tell us about NPS in Bainbridge, CA.   

I never knew (until just now) that NPS was originally in CT before Bainbridge.  Interesting....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Power_School

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Oct 17, 2010, 06:41 »
I knew about NPS being at Mare Island, but not about Bainbridge. Co60, I'm with you, although it seems a little longer than yesterday since I went there.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2010, 09:08 »
All the talk of demolished Nuke School, and the adventures of the Cold War gone by, reminds me of Dana Andrews sentimental journey to the scrapyard...

« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010, 09:57 by HydroDave63 »

co60slr

« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2010, 09:48 »
Here's another "oldie, but goodie":  Where do all the old reactor compartments go?

Process:  http://home.flash.net/~tomj/tunny/chop/chop.htm

Satellite Photo:  http://home.flash.net/~tomj/tunny/chop/200Ehighup.JPG

I found it on Bing, but when I tried to paste the actual photo, IE crashed.   So, for extra credit, find area 200E on the map and find your old RC, if you're bored.

Answer key:  http://navsource.org/archives/08/100/0857524.jpg

Enjoy.  :-)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2010, 10:01 »
I'm ignorant on this reference,.....

What's the story?

(good b&w still picture though)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036868/

Dana Andrews having a flashback of his bombardier days, when seeing the thousands of B-17s being scrapped in 1946 to make houses and travel trailers.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #36 on: Jun 01, 2011, 10:05 »
Sorry for the thread necro, but found another good site focusing on the RTC side of things. I was feeling nostalgic for the Navy tonight and was checking out google earth of my birth place as a nuke and found this site and didn't see it posted yet.

http://rtcorlando.homestead.com/
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?