Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What's the fleet like being a Nuke?

Author Topic: What's the fleet like being a Nuke?  (Read 19561 times)

joblack83

What's the fleet like being a Nuke?
« on: Jul 17, 2004, 10:15 »
     Hi Yall!  I would like to know if any of you have advise and/or encouragement for completing Nuke 'A' School.  Especially with study habbits.  I seem to be putting in a lot of "wasted" hours and going no where but down.  My SLPO and E-Funds instructor are getting frustrated with me.  My grades are passing I have a 2.99 overall and a 2.85 in course but it doesn't seem good enough.  It's not that I don't try.  I go for the extra help and put in the hours but I still have trouble understanding the material.  My SLPO says I'm too stressed and I really don't want to get the boot for that.  This is the best opportunity that I have ever been given and am so grateful.
     Is this how it is in the fleet?  What is it like being a Nuke and being married?  Especially a female with a husband and a child?  Does it work?  Thanks for the time...

Fermi2

Re: What's the fleet like being a Nuke?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2004, 10:45 »
Just a word of advice, and I know this isn't what your instructors want to hear but your grades are fine. You are passing and you're trying hard. You're well past the 2.5 minimum grade. Don't sweat it, keep it up and relax.

Just a word of advice, the Fleet is hard work and it's tough making time for the family. When you are at home keep work at work ok? Since I'm a male I have no idea what it's like being a married female out in the fleet, but as a parent and spouse I can tell you it's not overly easy, then again life isn't supposed to be you know?

Again, just relax, your instructors are SUPPOSED to push you and make you think you're on the edge.

Mike

damad1

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2004, 07:44 »
THE FLEET SUCKS!

RCLCPO

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2004, 11:53 »
Life in the fleet is what you make of it.

It's like being handed a basket of lemons.  Some people try to eat 'em straight, others make lemonade.  Me, I made whiskey sours.....you make the best of whatever your situation turns out to be.  If you focus on the negatives, it'll eat you alive.  If you make the best of it, always keeping some goal in mind (however distant it may be), and focus on the "this is just a stepping stone" aspect when things are rough, you'll be fine.  There are just as many folks who actually enjoyed their Navy time as there are those who absolutely hated every second.  Most of us are in the middle somewhere.

As far as E-funds, as a former E-funds instructor, I can tell you with certainty that the key to understanding the circuits and the troubleshooting is understanding EXACTLY how each individual component works.  You must know the WHY behind everything.  If you try to memorize things, you'll get by for a while, but you won't get by forever.  Everything is based on the PN junction.  Read the NEETS module, #6 if I remember correctly, until you know this material backwards and forwards.  Use the NDI.  Use the Senior Instructor.  Don't stop asking until your questions are answered.

If it's unclassified material, e-mail me your question if you can't get it answered there.

There are certain study habits that are more effective than others.  Describe to me what you're doing now, and I'll be happy to give any advice I have to give.  Out of 19 months as an E-funds instructor, I only lost 1 student due to academics.  One of the beautiful things about the Navy is it's full of older brothers/sisters/aunts and uncles to help you, with whatever your problem is.

tjm807

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2004, 12:57 »
Im an active duty nuke. Been in 4 1/2 years so far so Im not much out of touch from A an power school. There are definitely gonna be subjects that you will struggle through. Most people do. I was married and wife was pregnant while I was in boot and A school and gave birth (2 1/2 months premature) while I was in A school. I was at school all day (except home for dinner) and left late at night to get home pick up wifey and head to Charleston hospital to the NICU (every night for 2 months). I made it through and DEFINITELY not a "book smart" nuke. I was at about 65th percentile in my graduating class. Enjoy your time at home. Try to "turn off" school when you are home. Make sure you are sitting near a studious person (ask your SLPO to be switched if need be) surround yourself with successful people in life and if you keep an open mind and listen to what people have to tell you (study habits, ways they remember stuff, ect) utilize the group study with 1-2 studious friends. Try to make friends with people in the class prior to you and ask what types of things they asked on previous tests so you have an idea of topics they try to cover. Just keep working, dont give up. When you feel like you are mentally spent.... do something to destress and try to start the next day fresh and not let all the days turn into one long blurr. Good luck and work hard.

RCLCPO

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2004, 03:11 »
tjm807 brings up an important point.

One of the ways to preserve a marriage is to not bring the stress home with you from work.  In order to leave work at work, you need to allow time to de-compress.  I've found that a 30-40 minute commute is enough of a drive to de-compress, even on the most stressful days, so that when I got home I was no longer Petty Officer or Chief, just me.  Unless your spouse is also a Navy Nuke, there is no way they will ever understand what you go through, just how it makes you feel.  It's very easy to vent your excess pressure all over a family member, but it doesn't improve anything.  If you need a release, use a sport (like tennis) where you can whack something as hard as you like, so you never unload on your spouse or kids.  Physically beat something, like a ball or punching bag, BEFORE going home, and your quality of life (and your spouse's) will improve.  If you internalize the stress, you'll look like you're 60 years old before you're 40....

Some folks used a little nip of flammable liquid, but beware crawling inside a bottle.  I know quite a few Nukes who can't remember certain asian seaports because they never got past the bar at the end of the pier.

Offline nukeET1

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2004, 09:41 »
As a current nuclear instructor I highly recommend you not take the little piece of advice I reprinted in italics below.

Try to make friends with people in the class prior to you and ask what types of things they asked on previous tests so you have an idea of topics they try to cover.

We have had several classes at XOI (mast investigation) for cheating like this.  That is a very quick way to find yourself doing the same job for less money if not out of the program entirely.

All the rest of the advice above is very good.   I will say that the Navy is very stressful at times.  Out in the fleet expecially.  If you want true female to female chats about how the fleet is for females why dont you talk with the newest chief selectee female, I have known her for many years and believe me she will not mislead you in any direction and will tell it like it is!

Relationships can and do work in the Navy it just takes a very strong relationship and great commitment and communication! (As with any relationship)

And by the way, We push you to do your best since most 2.80 ish students tend to fail exams and can very very easily fall wayward.  If you are getting paid to do a job then any employer expects you to do your best at all time, the Navy is no different.  The ppst by RCLCPO was great advice.  STUDY AND LEARN THE MATERIAL do not memorize the operations.  If you are not perfoming up to what you think your ability is ask to see an AAE (acedemic advisor for excellence)  They will help you study more effectively, which as you know means better scores which means less hours!

P.S. what are you doing on this website?  You should be studying!  (kidding)
ET1

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #7 on: Aug 06, 2004, 09:09 »
joblack83 - more  power and karma to you.  I for one admire your tenacity at going through the school with all that you mentioned. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.  The advice given has been good stuff. A career in Uncle Sams Canoe Club (spoken with great affection) is a good way to go. My advice is , When you make it over seas dont get any dragon tat's with ladies on horse back fighting them.  (I told my friends that come hell or high water I was not getting tattooed.... Woke up a couple of days later with the things on my chest.) this story goes along with crawling in a bottle.  As for the marriage business - Be strong, It takes two to be strong, and may the wind feel your sails wherever life leads.  For now go study.

joblack83

« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2004, 08:34 »
Just wanted to thank yall for the advise, I'll take it to heart.  Digital's almost up so here comes I&CE!  Then we graduate.  I'll make it through, it just takes 5+ hours of studying a night to do it.  All I gotta say is it better be as good as it seems later on.  Thanks again.

methman

« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2004, 12:19 »
Hopefully, all the hard work pays off in the end. It is a good starting point!

spookeynuke

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2004, 11:38 »
I agree the fleet sucks.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 19, 2004, 12:37 »
I agree the fleet sucks.
You must be referring to the targets. The fleet is the whole thing from diesel to carrier,, top to bottom. I loved being at sea, maybe it was the endless view or the late night poker, maybe it was the pseudo-drunk of the rolling sea, or maybe mid-rats. Whatever it was, I miss the good side.... sometimes.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

kwicslvr

« Reply #12 on: Aug 21, 2004, 08:40 »
joblack83,

Good luck and good job thus far.  I just got out a little over a year ago after 12.  Left as an instructor at prototype.  When you get there definately use your senior classes to learn the ropes and aid you with your training.  We actually encouraged it there.   In the end it is worth it to make it through the program.  When you get out of the Navy it will pay off.  I seperated and doubled my income alone working at a civilian plant.  I just helped getting one of my previous students hired on also at my plant.  Here fiancee will also be getting a job there also and they both did 6 in and got out.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #13 on: Aug 21, 2004, 09:18 »
I don't know all the tricks, but there was this one guy who sat next to me all the way through NPS.  He had a 2.50 average, and had to get nearly every test regraded in order to keep it that high.  Our entire section was on study hours, so there was always someone in the classroom.  Anyway, we made it a practice to group study often and always include this guy.  I found that I could learn anything if I simply tried to make sure that he understood it - even if I had to get someone else to explain it to both of us.  There was always someone in every group who had a way of making things clear for everyone.  Sometimes, it was even me!
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

nukeIllini

« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2004, 01:20 »
A lot of good advice given already (along with the typical "the Navy sucks" answers). Before I give my advice let me give you my background info so that I can validate my advice. graduated #1 in class 8813 ET at NFAS, EFUNDS Instructor, RADAR Swing Shift Senior Instructor (yes we did teach/learn that once upon a time) Reactor Principles Instructor (were you will learn how to be an RO),  Power School Section Advisor (I still refuse to call a chief a SLPO), and I'm currently an ETCS RCLPO on LINCOLN and retiring in 2 months.

The most important advice that I can give you for sucess at NFAS and NPS is to not fall behind. You have to know the basics to keep up later in the school. When you are doing homework you have to attempt it yourself before you go running off to the NDI. If you spend more than 20 minutes on any problem then go for help and be able to show the NDI what you have tried on your own before you went for help. You have to know what you "don't know" before anyone can help you.

As for what it's like to be out in the fleet as a married female I'm not qualifed to answer that. But I can tell you that it is a hell of a lot better in the fleet as a qualified reactor operator than as a NUKE power drop out E-3 working in a galley.

You've already made the choice, You knew goin in that it was going to be tough. Don't allow your mind to start to wander now while you should be studying and second guess that decision. The best thing for you in your career/life is to push hard and achieve your goal. Anything else is just going to complicate your life in the long run.

If you have any other questions feel free to email me at haare.stephen@lincoln.navy.mil

HTH

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2004, 04:19 by nukeIllini »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2004, 01:36 »
and I'm currently a ETCS RCLPO on LINCOLN and retiring in 2 months.

Know your audience! Some of our best posters only knew the the SSBN 598 class "Leaking Lincoln" as she was known.

In all seriousness, thanks for a good answer and showing your excellent credentials prior to wading in on this issue. I appreciate a balanced perspective.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30, 2005, 06:41 »
I had a wife and kid when I got to the boat, and I never whined.

Why would you say something like that?

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #17 on: Jun 30, 2005, 06:45 »
WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN NUKE SCHOOL WITH A SPOUSE AND A BABY!!!!!!!

Gee, cant wait until you get to the boat and start whining: but my spouse that, but my kid this!

I smited you and I'll tell you why.

1. At least she has a husband, I know of too many female and male single parents and they are usually worse than married with children.
2. Maybe she is trying to make a better life for her family, the nuke field can be quite lucrative
3. My best friend went through the pipeline married and soon had a baby, but they survived and are a very successful family
4. Your generalizations are both unprofessional and short sighted. She will succeed or fail on her own merit and doesn't need your ignorant ramblings as an obstacle.

taterhead

« Reply #18 on: Jun 30, 2005, 07:39 »
Post removed.  Not in the spirit of the thread or this board.

banzaitoyota

« Reply #19 on: Jun 30, 2005, 07:55 »
Since we are being PC and other new wave BS:

In A school and Nuke school: YOUR JOB IS SCHOOL, how can you give 100% to your JOB when you are trying to deal with a family? Not to say that it cant be done, but you are going to have a choice to make. When I went thru boot I dont recall a spouse and kid being tosed in my seabag either.

I was so grateful we did most of our refits in Holy Loch Scotland, so that you didnt have to wade thru a bunch of "My kid this, my spouse that" chits for liberty.Once we did a refit  in Kings Bay, it was a different story, EVERYONE had an excuse as to why they needed special liberty in the middle of refit. ITS BS!, your dang job was to fix the boat to go to sea.

If you have a 2.85 average, grit your teeth a little harder and spend more time studying.Wait, let me guess, in the NEW Navy: Suggested, Mandatory and Ordered Study hours violate your civil liberties?

There are alot of 2.5 and survive commandos that did EXTREMELY well in the fleet.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #20 on: Jun 30, 2005, 08:04 »
Dude, who are you preaching too?

The original poster? She came here honestly and openly and has a positive attitude. 

"This is the best opportunity that I have ever been given and am so grateful."

Doesn't quite sound like whining.

Who the heck are you to judge the entire fleet of Sailors with families? Life happens dude.

School was hard enough without issues, but you can't staff the Navy with just single folks. It just does not happen. I chose to be a "monk" for all of school, but many married people did just fine.

You are an idiot.

R/ MM1(SS) Sponge

banzaitoyota

« Reply #21 on: Jun 30, 2005, 09:08 »
How am I an idiot by stating that it is less stressfull to get thru school without the additional stress of a kid and a spouse?

taterhead

« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2005, 09:43 »
Have you done it both ways?

I did it as a married guy.  I found that I had the stability in a home life that prevented me from getting into the trouble that many other single knuckleheads found.

Also, it gave me a refuge from school.  I could forget school when I went home.  It kept me grounded, reminded me of what I was working for-

It's not whether or not you're married, but your ability to balance your studies with whatever else you choose to do-

Perhaps your experiences were different from mine, but the married folks did quite well in school when I went through-
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2005, 09:48 by taterhead »

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2005, 11:18 »
Class 8502 MM F had a few maried guys, none failed out. At prototype they did well too. When I was in the fleet I never once saw a maried guy shirk his duty, but I did see 3 single nukes go to Mast for missing ships movement or blowing off duty days...

I guess the lesson could be single guys are useless and not willing to work but that would be selling short the hundreds of single guys I worked with who did and still do a hell of a good job.

Mike

Rad Sponge

« Reply #24 on: Jul 01, 2005, 09:23 »
The whole point is that you cannot castigate an entire demographic segment of the fleet just because you had some bad experiences. That is idiotic.

Yes, I will admit it, while on shore duty I saw pregnant Sailors abuse the system, but I also saw mothers that were outstanding leaders.

During refit I had more problems with my junior techs (drinking, drugs, malingering) then I saw amongst the married guys, like me, who had more on the line then their own precious ass. I think married people make better workers because in many cases (not all) they have a better sense of responsibility.

I've heard all the catchy salty phrases "Your wife/kid/significant other did not come in your seabag". All that meant to me was make sure you kept your S*** in one sock.

That mentality does not wash anymore because the Navy has had to reinvent itself as an organization able to compete with the private sector and college in attracting the bright youth and retaining the experienced. You can't accomplish that mission adhering to the "salty" ways of the past. How can you expect to keep a Sailor 8,10,12,20 years if he or she does not feel enabled to have a family?

Thats not "being PC", it being realistic, and the Navy adapted and ships and subs keep on a steaming.

banzaitoyota

« Reply #25 on: Jul 01, 2005, 04:53 »
Hmmmm. 1988? The tender in Lamod needed to come to CNSYD for a drydocking. So they announced that the Frank Cable was going there to take her place for a while. Meanwhile when the Cable left, Squadron got Stuck with the 40 + PREGNANT sailors who couldnt deploy. They caused undermanning on the Tender, an administrative burden to the Squadron Staff, and yes it was ~ 400% increase in the "normal" sailor pregnancy rate.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #26 on: Jul 01, 2005, 06:59 »
Toyota,

I am not denying its often convienient for female sailors to get pregnant in order to get out of work/deployment/whatever.

You are missing the point, though, on why a few of us have fired back at you.

It is not because of any of our experiences with females in the nuke program, at least not for me. It is because you attacked the original poster who came here seeking guidance on how she could do better and plan for the fleet. Obviously she is not trying to get out of anything, according to her words.

You just attacked her

"WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN NUKE SCHOOL WITH A SPOUSE AND A BABY!!!!!!!

Gee, cant wait until you get to the boat and start whining: but my spouse that, but my kid this!"

This is why, no other reason. You don't even know her and you immediately rip her apart. You basically summed up your jaded and irrelevent view in a few rash key strokes.

No one here is denying that abuses do not occur, but this kid is not the enemy.

shovelheadred

« Reply #27 on: Aug 16, 2005, 05:57 »
Being a NUKE, isnt like what you are used to,,,,and it depends if you are a target or a Submariner..myself I was atarget,,a carrier,,,had its good side,,we hit port every 21 days....or so..stayed out 144 days during the Hostage Situation in Iran.......subs have a regular schedule..especially if you are on a BOOMER.......you could draw a ship in the YARD,,or go in the YARD...we did 18 months in NNS...then when you get out a job is usually easy to find...but depending on your rate,,,I was an ELT...once you get to site,,you are usually accused of being an ARROGANT , SELF  CENTERED A**HOLE<<by alot of other Rad con....but depending on your attitude,,you might be,,not all NUKES are arrogant,,, because your training is so intense and Job related,,you are qualified to do more than one job,,,so ,,study your books..do your time at sea,,,and hopefully we will see you on the layoff sheet.......red

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?