Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Will the last tech to leave SRS, please turn off the lights  

Author Topic: Will the last tech to leave SRS, please turn off the lights  (Read 100426 times)

Offline gravy58

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Will the last tech to leave SRS, please turn off the lights
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:50 »
Hey Sun Dumb, If I was the instructor I would tell you to kiss my a$$. For myself kiss my a$$!. Savannah is screwing everyone, everyway they can, and it always rolls down hill, and I'm sure you will be one of the biggest criers when it happens to you. The man should worry about his health, but I'm sure he's thinking about, "what good is health If you don't have an income?" He's was doing his job best he could, instead of taking your attitude and sitting on his a$$, with no tools, not getting his lesson accross and shouldn't care as long as SRS is paying him.
SRS in it's Hay day had 25,000 people. Aiken now has 30,000 people total, 5 or 6 thousand at SRS. One third of them will be gone sometime this year. Do the math!. This part of South Carolina should go back to growing cotton and tell their employees that they should be thankful for even having a job. The South will rise again, riding lawn tractors, caring shotguns and demanding more money from the government for gas and ammo.

Offline gravy58

• Light User
« Reply #51 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:41 »
As a Licensed private practice attorney,worth my weight, I would not take a JOB as a court appointed attorney.
As a Licensed private practice physician, I would not take a JOB as a DOE Doctor.
As a individual I would respect the advise of a private MD over a Savannah River DOE Doc.

Offline gravy58

• Light User
« Reply #52 on: Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 »
Regardless of his condition and advise, after 12 years the man was rudely fired, without concerns of his future and his contributions for the years served.

Offline azkidd

• RP Tech (Housemouse)
  • Moderate User
  • We Nationalize Banks!!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:02 »
Sun Dumb, you are such an idiot!  Such an ass!  You are pathetic!  You remind me of a member called "Blackballed Snake" that was once bounced from this site for the same type of Rhetoric you type.  It is as if you are trying to be a "Broadzilla" type of personality...  It doesn't work! Broadzilla is a one of a kind, but makes better sense of things!  You... useless! Stop with your ridiculous input!

Offline techtoolong

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 21, 2011, 11:32 »
This is not the Navy.  I agree with Instructor.  That is some rude behavior and I am a Yankee.

Iceman24601

« Reply #55 on: Jan 21, 2011, 12:44 »
Wow!  Sun Dog, you touched a few nerves.   :D  Let's get a few facts out there for those who do not live in South Carolina.  This is a "no fault" state which means if your employer wants to fire you they do not need to have a reason even if the employee is "not at fault."  And yes, I do believe the SRS doctor was erring on the safe side with his employer's best interests in mind.  SRS was tactless, rude, and heartless to kick a man when he was down but instead of dragging anything out they cut the cord (not meant to be a medical pun).  Where I work we've been placed in the same position of informing an employee not to do something to exacerbate the situation even if his primary physician said he could.  This is not only in that individual's best interest but his coworkers, too.  As stated earlier, it has cost SRS millions in lost money and time due to injuries on site.  I would like to say that where I work we would not be so crude as to clean out someone's desk while he's in the hospital.  SRS is at fault for that but don't hate Sun Dog for pointing out that SRS not only has to worry about the individual but the entire workforce.  If you feel wronged and are able to, sue and good luck!

BetaAnt

« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2011, 02:52 »
I guess the SunDog/SunDumb posts must have been so onerous that they deserved to be deleted. But it begs to losing the translation when only one side of the conversation is heard or posted.  ???
On to news from SRS.
DeNuke is bringing in 28+ people for the TRU project.  :) More rent-a-techs.  :) :) :)
Surprise layoffs are scheduled for house people next month.  :-[ :-[ :-[
20% reduction in house radcon has been proposed.  :o :o :o
RPM quit, RC facility mgr. retires, and couple of good RC supervisors retire/quit for better offers. ::) ::) ::)
Per Diem issues are still so f***ed up.  >:(
One tech hasn't been paid PD since Oct. and another had his PD pulled due to a $0.52 error in the paperwork. The PD inquisition is still alive and well at SR Nuclear Solutions.  :( :( :(
As the DeNuke job posting reads "Documentation required and proof of eligibility to receive per diem must be flawless."  :( :( :(

Good luck in the future,

BA  8) 8) 8)

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:14 »
I spent 5 years at SRS in the '90's so I speak from a little experience. Even a place as unusual as Savannah River I'd be shocked if they're bringing in rent-a-techs and laying off house techs at the same time. It used to take 6 months to get a technician there fully qualified and trained. Why would they lay off fully trained house techs who know the procedures and how SRS likes RadCon to be performed just to turn around and bring in a bunch of newbies. Something here isn't passing the snicker test. Sounds like DeNuke is fishing for resumes to put a proposal together.

Content1

« Reply #58 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:30 »
I saw on the posts that SR pays $54 after 31 days, with $20 for food.   Are rooms available at that rate and can you eat even at Mc Donalds for $20 per day?   Are people short of the desperate taking this?  If you are maintaining another home, I don't think I could afford to take such a job, essentially losing on the traveling pay as this one is described.   Am I alone in such thinking?

Sun Dog

« Reply #59 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:49 »
I saw on the posts that SR pays $54 after 31 days, with $20 for food.   Are rooms available at that rate and can you eat even at Mc Donalds for $20 per day?   Are people short of the desperate taking this?  If you are maintaining another home, I don't think I could afford to take such a job, essentially losing on the traveling pay as this one is described.   Am I alone in such thinking?

For the minimum requirements of a HS dimploma and three years of experience, grossing $1750 on a 40 hr week for swinging a meter ain't that bad.  Especially when you figure 30% of that $1750 is untaxed.

But, if you don't need the cash, wait for the back up contract - it will be more lucrative - sure it will.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2011, 02:56 by Sun Dog »

BetaAnt

« Reply #60 on: Jan 30, 2011, 10:56 »
House techs have a project billing rate of $85+/hr and are very hard to get rid of (not to mention the 6 month school and 2yrs+ to get up to speed for independent job coverage).  :o
Rent-a-Techs have a project billing of ~$50/hr and can be disposed (without question and warning) at the end of the project (also qualified for independent job coverage within 2 months).  :o

Do the math. RATs are cheaper and easier to get rid of in a right-to-work state. House techs take HR and a documented record be get rid of. With the RIF, house techs can be laid-off without the usual paperwork.  :o

This is corporate math plain and simple. Cut back the RP techs without justification while you can . House techs can be rehired as RATs later on and disposed of as necessary later.  :(

We are all numbers and project cost assets. As a project manager stated last year "run them till they break". :(

Good luck, BA  8) 8) 8)

Content1

« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2011, 02:03 »
For the minimum requirements of a HS dimploma and three years of experience, grossing $1750 on a 40 hr week for swinging a meter ain't that bad.  Especially when you figure 30% of that $1750 is untaxed.

But, if you don't need the cash, wait for the back up contract - it will be more lucrative - sure it will.

It is more than 3 years of experience, that is the minimum and if you are a traveling tech it takes more like 8 + years to get the 3 years, and we do more than "swing a meter."   In many sites it takes at least 6 months to get fully trained at a DOE site.  The question was not if $1750 gross is a good salary, it is the net a traveler lives on and if you are truly spending more than $54 per day for a room and more than $20/day on food, then all you earn is the $28/hr gross but netting $800 per week which you pay for your expenses to maintain a far away home plus daily travel to and from work.  The $3.5 hr for medical coverage is insufficient to pay for any plan, even under Obama care.   If you state it is a great income, yes, it is better then starving in the street as most incomes are, but a traveler who is trained above "Swinging a meter" which sounds more like a deconner who empties the trash, is a trained professional who we collectively give the responsibility to keep themselves and the public safe.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2011, 01:20 »
Sounds like DeNuke is fishing for resumes to put a proposal together.

Denuke does have the contract. their request for resumes is to fill real positions.

http://denuke.com/press-releases/press-release-srns-awards-radiological-control-support-subcontract-to-denuke-for-tru-project-support/
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

BetaAnt

« Reply #63 on: Jan 31, 2011, 06:19 »
@ MARRSIM,

Today, the Savannah River Site is part of the Department of Energy (DOE) complex and is managed and operated by Savannah River Nuclear Solutions, LLC (SRNS). SRNS is a consortium of Fluor Daniel, Northrup Grumman, and Honeywell. DOE may own the site but SRNS calls the shots. DOE has already bought off on the RIF plan. It is up to SRNS to implement the plan. DOE has always kept hands out of the site operations as long as it is operated legally (not necessarily ethically and morally). SRNS has been bleeding money and is trying to reduce overhead costs. Management and RP will be reduced. RP is one of the few organizations that can advance to a grade 20. Operators were reduced (attrition) to grade 18. A few topped-out, grade 20 RPs draw bigger paychecks than their First Line Manager when overtime (20hrs +) is worked. SRNS wants to change this.

BA  8) 8) 8)

Offline uRiaL

• BELIEVING RCT
  • Moderate User
  • God knows the path I take......
« Reply #64 on: Feb 01, 2011, 03:56 »
 :- :-\ :(A little correction beta-ant,no tech has received per diem since OCT.,It's a ongoing process  I GUESS :-\ :-\ :-\
I thank  GOD for you with every remembrance of you.

05Dyna

« Reply #65 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:04 »
No you are not alone in thinking that people filling these positions would be losing money unless they share a room with 50 other people and eat beans every day. What has happened to our (Health Physics) profession when we are classified as meter swingers only. Most of the technicians I work with have years of educational experience and use a lot more judgement than putting pen to paper. This is why we as a whole get treated as just above decon material.

Sun Dog

« Reply #66 on: Feb 02, 2011, 02:30 »
No you are not alone in thinking that people filling these positions would be losing money unless they share a room with 50 other people and eat beans every day. What has happened to our (Health Physics) profession when we are classified as meter swingers only. Most of the technicians I work with have years of educational experience and use a lot more judgement than putting pen to paper. This is why we as a whole get treated as just above decon material.

It may be tough, but try not take it as a personal attack if someone refers to an RP/HP technician as a meter swinger.  To some, that is a term of endearment.  Or, if someone says the only delta between a deconner and an RP is an ink pen (I always thought it was the wrist watch).  They are using an old adage, usually in an attempt at being funny.  They rarely mean it as an insult to either the deconner or the HP.  Refer to a sailor as a squid...not an insult to most.  Refer to a carpenter as a saw jockey or scaffologist...no problem...craft in general as knuckle draggers...ok with that? Pencil pushers, sparkies, jarheads, wingnuts, pipefighters, ironheads, grunts, mop&glo techs, millwrongs...relax, it is not that bad.

You must admit, the overwhelming majority of job responsibilities for an HP/RP technician are not very challenging.  It is not because the individual technician is incapable of doing more, they are just not needed to do more.

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2011, 02:35 by Sun Dog »

Content1

« Reply #67 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:37 »
It may be tough, but try not take it as a personal attack if someone refers to an RP/HP technician as a meter swinger.  To some, that is a term of endearment.  Or, if someone says the only delta between a deconner and an RP is an ink pen (I always thought it was the wrist watch).  They are using an old adage, usually in an attempt at being funny.  They rarely mean it as an insult to either the deconner or the HP.  Refer to a sailor as a squid...not an insult to most.  Refer to a carpenter as a saw jockey or scaffologist...no problem...craft in general as knuckle draggers...ok with that? Pencil pushers, sparkies, jarheads, wingnuts, pipefighters, ironheads, grunts, mop&glo techs, millwrongs...relax, it is not that bad.

You must admit, the overwhelming majority of job responsibilities for an HP/RP technician are not very challenging.  It is not because the individual technician is incapable of doing more, they are just not needed to do more.

If all we had to do was swing a meter, they could fashion up some kind of Ibot to vacuum and do our job at the same time.   What we actually do is support work where the radiological conditions are known, but not a "for sure" situations and when something goes wrong we know what to do.   Yes, if you know for sure what everything was going to be you could use a deconner.  If things can get out of hand you have experienced people who take control, like a spill, equipment failure and contaminated personnel.   You might say Chernobyl was using deconners who used a dust mask to try to limit uptake.   If you run your facility with the low caliber of people you are stating, you will have a similar result.   The ranks of the Senior Rad Techs are also engineers, lawyers, teachers, who do their traveling work on the side or are taking a break from other careers.   I have been to law school and have held a teaching credential, and I choose to work in the field to make it better and the pay is OK.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #68 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:39 »

Unfortunately, we are usually judged by the lowest common denominator.  There are those (and have been for a while) who would object to you ever referring to your job as "Health Physics".  HP is a scientific/technical field.  Radiation Protection is a procedural driven field, with only minimal technical/scientific knowledge required.  It has been so always.  Many RP techs have HP level skills and knowledge.  But an "HP" who is doing an "RP" level job is rarely distinguished from the RP who is barely getting by "swinging a meter" -- until something unexpected happens.  That is when you differentiate the Oxen from the Bulls.
Picasso could paint a barn red, but not everyone holding a brush is a Picasso, and nobody expects to find one painting a barn anyway.  So, don't take it so hard.  You, and the people who matter, know your capabilities.  Everyone else is just making noise.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

05Dyna

« Reply #69 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:24 »
You misunderstood the statement. It was decon material (crap, trash,etc) not decon techs I was referring to. I respect decon personnel since I started out in that position years ago and work with some of the best now.

Sun Dog

« Reply #70 on: Feb 02, 2011, 07:19 »

If all we had to do was swing a meter, they could fashion up some kind of Ibot to vacuum and do our job at the same time.  

Be careful what you say out loud.  They may hear you and start working on that gadget if the aren't already.

Look how "improvements" in technology have eliminated or reduced the need for scores of RP techs.  The PED (aka tech-in-a-box) has all but eliminated the need for constant coverage in high rad areas.  The PED and self service dosimetry kiosks have eliminated many dosimetry tech positions.  The SAM allows even the greenest NUB to release material from the RCA.  The current generation of portal monitors have made the the WBC all but obsolete.  The use of cameras, communication devices, and computers have even further reduced the number of RP Techs we need.

Throw in the softer administrative type changes that have been implemented over the years and the numbers of RP techs required to support a site are further reduced.  Back in the day, it was not uncommon to see multiple Jr RP Techs and a few Seniors employed solely to support the use of respirators.  Wash them, survey them, maintain them, issue them, train people to wear them, etc.  Now, we rarely wear respirators so those jobs have vanished.  Nothing has really changed other than the industry finally realized it was not working smartly.  RP Techs used to double as GET Instructors during ramp up.  Now we use CBT and hire a couple of proctors to process hundreds of temporary outage workers through the training maze.  Perhaps CBT is not an improvement when you look at the instructional value, but it is certainly more efficient and requires less labor (RP techs) to manage than a GET program that relies on classroom settings.

Nobody is saying that RP techs are not smart.  Most are very smart.  But if you are honest with yourself, and us, you'll come to the conclusion that the RP tech does not have a really difficult or challenging job.  Trust me, I know.

« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2011, 07:29 by Sun Dog »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #71 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:09 »
I don't agree.  I think once you get to be a high-experience senior rp then yes, it is fairly easy most of the time.  But I've seen many newbie's eyes get big when they have to do crazy hi contam/ hi rad job coverage, or go cover cavity decon, help with diver ops near fuel.  Stuff like that, there is plenty more.  Knowing all the ins and outs to make decisions in complex, different, and ever changing radiological environments is fairly tough, for me anyway.   Plus contract technicians have to know more than one way to do it right according to the site they are at.  I was at north anna one year and we had some techs who had the experience on paper but couldn't do the job.  They panicked and let the pressure get to them.  Some hid, some tried and failed (multiple dose alarms for one ex-rad engineer with little field experience).  If it was as simple as you say, I don't think these people would have failed so badly or ran away.  Have I seen and been on easy jobs?  Plenty, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of hard ones out there as well.  It can be a daunting job at times.  I'll admit there are plenty of times I was uneasy with what I was asked to do but got enough of it right not to ever be sat in a corner.  Doable yes, easy in some situations, yes, never difficult or challenging, no.  You may be the bees knees sundog, and more power to you, but for the average HP tech, is this job really that simple?  If you say yes, I don't think you are looking at it from the average tech's point of view considering the varying difficulty of jobs out there.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #72 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:11 »
wow we are way off topic.  I like working at the tank farm at SRS and so far don't feel threatened or unhappy in my own little world.  sorry it is so bad for the SRNS people, hope it doesn't come our way.

Content1

« Reply #73 on: Feb 03, 2011, 01:45 »
I don't agree.  I think once you get to be a high-experience senior rp then yes, it is fairly easy most of the time.  But I've seen many newbie's eyes get big when they have to do crazy hi contam/ hi rad job coverage, or go cover cavity decon, help with diver ops near fuel.  Stuff like that, there is plenty more.  Knowing all the ins and outs to make decisions in complex, different, and ever changing radiological environments is fairly tough, for me anyway.   Plus contract technicians have to know more than one way to do it right according to the site they are at.  I was at north anna one year and we had some techs who had the experience on paper but couldn't do the job.  They panicked and let the pressure get to them.  Some hid, some tried and failed (multiple dose alarms for one ex-rad engineer with little field experience).  If it was as simple as you say, I don't think these people would have failed so badly or ran away.  Have I seen and been on easy jobs?  Plenty, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of hard ones out there as well.  It can be a daunting job at times.  I'll admit there are plenty of times I was uneasy with what I was asked to do but got enough of it right not to ever be sat in a corner.  Doable yes, easy in some situations, yes, never difficult or challenging, no.  You may be the bees knees sundog, and more power to you, but for the average HP tech, is this job really that simple?  If you say yes, I don't think you are looking at it from the average tech's point of view considering the varying difficulty of jobs out there.

Way to put it.  This may seem off topic, but it came up about the pay at SR did not pay enough due to the inherent nature of a Senior, like at SR, and contrary to being a cakewalk job anyone can do, it does takes skill to do the job there as any DOE site, and to get the better workers you need to pay compensation to attract them.   Sundog went off on a rendition of how easy it is to be a Senior so any pay is overpaid, not recognizing the reality to do a good job it takes brains and experience to be ready to handle whatever the job may throw at you.

Sun Dog

« Reply #74 on: Feb 03, 2011, 08:22 »

Sun Dog went off on a rendition of how easy it is to be a Senior so any pay is overpaid...

Wrong.

It is obvious that some Senior Techs think their job is difficult and they are underpaid, just like some cashiers at Wal-Mart believe they have a difficult job and are underpaid.  Both may be right.   

What I said was that $1750/week for a 40-hour/week job, any 40-hour/week job, that requires nothing more than a HS diploma (or GED) and 3 years of experience is pretty damn good, whether you are counting smears or counting change.

Remember, you are paid for performing a specific function that you are told to do.  Not for a function you are capable of doing.  Big delta.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?