Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Will the last tech to leave SRS, please turn off the lights  

Author Topic: Will the last tech to leave SRS, please turn off the lights  (Read 100144 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Will the last tech to leave SRS, please turn off the lights
« Reply #75 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:18 »
Remember, you are paid for performing a specific function that you are told to do.  Not for a function you are capable of doing.  Big delta.

Very sad if that is what HP techs have degraded to. If reading a meter and taking a smear at someones direction is what you believe is the task of a technician, I am very glad I moved on some years ago. Evaluation of the hazards incident to material was the job at one time. We did this by measuring the presence, type and quantity of radiation and contamination and by understanding the principals of radiation interaction. The evaluation was also done by experience and monitoring of work in progress. What you describe would have been the job of a junior technician who lacked education or experience or both.

Somehow I would believe that it has not changed that much, there have always been those who stepped up to the plate and cared about their job and those who were along for the ride.

Sun Dog

« Reply #76 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:31 »

Very sad if that is what HP techs have degraded to. If reading a meter and taking a smear at someones direction is what you believe is the task of a technician, I am very glad I moved on some years ago.

It is sad.  Beginning circa 1989, the decision making portion of the job began being surgically removed.  It has snow balled to what we have today...95% of the technician's functions are scripted, often by folks who never clipped a pocket ion chamber to their PC's let alone know how to zero one.  Thinking on your feet, intuition, and common sense have all given way to robotic-like functions that can be be performed by a 3-year wonder senior as effectively as it can be by a 30-year super senior, more so probably.

You should be glad you saw the writing on the wall and moved on.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #77 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:49 »
   Very sad if that is what HP techs have degraded to.

It is sad.  Beginning circa 1989, the decision making portion of the job began being surgically removed.  It has snow balled to what we have today...95% of the technician's functions are scripted, often by folks who never clipped a pocket ion chamber to their PC's let alone know how to zero one.  Thinking on your feet, intuition, and common sense have all given way to robotic-like functions that can be be performed by a 3-year wonder senior as effectively as it can be by a 30-year super senior, more so probably.

Actually it began: commercial with the creation of INPO (post TMI)and the push for definitave procedures; DOE the publication of 10CFR835 and the direction to create definititive procedures.  This aided and abbeted by the EEI "Human Factors" in procedures created an "IF" statement in the proceduralized mind - "If it is not 'this way' call your supervisor. And for the supervisor on up.  Thus if it is not something you have ever seen before the tech on the floor can now take him/her self out of it and stay within the 'book'!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #78 on: Feb 03, 2011, 11:52 »
Sorry, but how did this topic degrade to this?   ;D ;D
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #79 on: Feb 04, 2011, 06:46 »
Sorry, but how did this topic degrade to this?   ;D ;D

But still they lead me back
To the long winding road
You left me standing there
A long long time ago
Don't leave me waiting here
Lead me to your door
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

Sorry still  [OT]

Here is the start of this long and winding road.

The Savannah River Site is dead. :'( It is a dry hole. :'( The money is gone (mis-spent). $100M in the hole and heads up the nether regions.  :o All the jobs are out west. GO WEST, YOUNG MAN, WEST!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

BA

« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2011, 06:54 by Marlin »

BetaAnt

« Reply #80 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:47 »
Now it's getting vicious. SRS is prosecuting RATs for per diem issues. I'll post more when it goes to trial.

http://www2.wjbf.com/news/2011/feb/04/two-srs-contract-workers-facing-federal-embezzleme-ar-1424949/

BA  :( :( :(

Offline Fixin2

• Very Lite User
« Reply #81 on: Feb 09, 2011, 04:27 »
My experience with SRNS was a good one.  Best I have had in years.  SRNS manager was a super guy and gave me ample notice of my impending layoff, even though he didn't have to (and wasn't supposed to). I believe in speaking out when I have something positive to say as well as when I have something negative to say. 

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #82 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:28 »
Now it's getting vicious. SRS is prosecuting RATs for per diem issues. I'll post more when it goes to trial.

http://www2.wjbf.com/news/2011/feb/04/two-srs-contract-workers-facing-federal-embezzleme-ar-1424949/

BA  :( :( :(

dat's a hole bunch of change four per diem issue...
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #83 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:17 »
Sorry, but how did this topic degrade to this?   ;D ;D

i think the topic improved.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #84 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:24 »
wow we are way off topic.  I like working at the tank farm at SRS and so far don't feel threatened or unhappy in my own little world.  sorry it is so bad for the SRNS people, hope it doesn't come our way.

naw, this new topic is the best i've seen on nuke----and don't feel too bad for SRNS--I'm in SRNS  and I heard it's heading your way :(
« Last Edit: Feb 21, 2011, 06:27 by jkj »

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

Offline metalman40

• RCT
  • Moderate User
  • Life sucks then you die.
« Reply #85 on: Mar 29, 2011, 07:16 »
Money aside, which facility is the TRU project working? Is it in one or both canyons or the over at solid waste?
Sometimes you just want to say dilligaf and go dfr.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #86 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:38 »
E area burial ground
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline metalman40

• RCT
  • Moderate User
  • Life sucks then you die.
« Reply #87 on: Mar 29, 2011, 10:59 »
Who is supervising the project?
Sometimes you just want to say dilligaf and go dfr.

Offline namlive

• Moderate User
« Reply #88 on: Mar 29, 2011, 06:18 »
Money aside, which facility is the TRU project working? Is it in one or both canyons or the over at solid waste?
Parts of the TRU project are being worked at the burial ground, and at both canyons. In fact today on SRS news they had a blurb claiming they did their highest curie box to date without incident, meaning no one got jabbed and filed a lawsuit, as if that could ever happen at the safest plant in the universe of all time, space, and dimension. Roy Windham is the facility manager of the burial ground and TRU project. I believe he is the main guy who looks at resumes.
No one gets out alive.

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2012, 01:46 »
No one here, gets out alive.

Offline pbooth

• Light User
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2012, 07:14 »
   BEWARE OF SRS FOLKS !  REMEMBER THE FAMOUS ROADTECH SAYING
         NO PERDEUM,  NO SEE EM ! Enough Said !

moochiebubble

« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2012, 07:02 »
 Avoid F canyon like the plague

Offline pbooth

• Light User
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2012, 07:40 »
   Hey, did any of you guys jump on the Lower Three Run Project @ SRS ?
I heard there wouldn't be any perdeum and conditions would be less than
desireable. How can they expect us to take a job, such as that without
deum? They know we all have homes and families to support, let alone
living in HIGH PRICE Aiken ! HELLO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE !

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2012, 07:57 »
They will just make local burger flippers juniors and have a few seniors watch them.  Thats the way it is.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2012, 02:15 »
   Hey, did any of you guys jump on the Lower Three Run Project @ SRS ?
I heard there wouldn't be any perdeum and conditions would be less than
desireable. How can they expect us to take a job, such as that without
deum? They know we all have homes and families to support, let alone
living in HIGH PRICE Aiken ! HELLO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE !

Yeah, because anyone who has had the words "per diem" on his pay check stub for years, and still writes "perdeum" on the interwebs is  such an indispensable tech that the coffee just NEEDS to be smelled here ! People !
Seriously, you are talking about a job, not a welfare program.  Your home and family are YOUR responsibility - not theirs.  You take the job, with or without per diem, or somebody else will.  The burger flippers will do just fine as long as somebody tells them where to point the meter.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline gravy58

• Light User
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2012, 04:24 »
Thats sounds like typical SRS thinking. Theres no need for experience SR. RP. Techs. to come to SRS, leave their family's behind and work with no Per Diem and the lowest pay in the country. When they can hire burger flippers to work at their nuclear government site and have the local House Monkeys who don't seem to know much more keep and eye on them.

Offline pbooth

• Light User
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2012, 07:22 »
Hey I may have not been correct in my spelling, TRUE !  And I don"t need you to tell me that or to attack me !
You don't know me or know of me ! To attack me, like you did , show's our community your mannerism.
Thank you for correcting me, you need to lighten-up a little !

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2012, 10:21 »
And you totally miss the point.

Let me say it plainly...

Quit your bitching about per diem.  Per diem is not a right.  It isn't even an entitlement.  That's right.  You are not entitled to per diem.  Out of 330,000,000 people in the USA, about 329,950,000 of them have never gotten a single per diem check.  Not once.
A job does not come with per diem.
If you can't afford to take the job without getting per diem, then don't take the job.  The project just might collapse into failure for the lack of you, but it is doubtful.  The company has the right to make that horrible mistake if they want to.  It's not your business how they treat their employees unless you are one of them.  If you ARE one of them, it means that you took the job without per diem.  If so, it is too late to bitch about it.  If not, why should you care?

So, they won't get good techs.  Not your problem.  So they will have to fix a lot of mistakes that the locals make.  Again, not your problem.  Some other poor sap took the job without per diem.  Still, (need it even be said?) NOT YOUR FRIGGIN PROBLEM.

To answer your question directly:  Nobody expects you to take this job if you don't want it.  Now, go brew yourself a pot of coffee.  Better make yours decaf, 'cause it ain't me who needs to lighten up.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2012, 09:14 »
With all the cuts in super fund clean ups, clean ups ending, stimulus funds ended; there are more technicians looking for work today than there is work available.

Gone are the $37/hr jobs, and welcome back $28/hr jobs.

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2012, 10:45 »
Booth, I feel for you man, but I have to agree the per diem subject for this site is just a waste of time.  The lackeys here will never change.  They would rather save a few bucks on diem and getting crappy, barely qualified subs so that they can spend  extravagantly on other things.  And, as a result, the house pukes here can still feed their superiority complex.  I only put up with it here because SC is my home.  I will be out of here as soon as I can get a house commercial job.  Contact me on my private email.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?