Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Math Test honeypot

Author Topic: Math Test  (Read 21841 times)

Willy

Math Test
« on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:08 »
I found this web site.  Its a timed math test very easy math problems, but just like the poss test it is timed.  It might help.

http://www.brainmetrix.com/math.htm

twinturbo427

Re: timed math test
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:24 »
sweet and thank you for the link.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
Re: timed math test
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2010, 09:27 »
It's always a pleasure to see someone looking out for others!  Ya done good.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Homer S.

• Light User
Calculator
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2010, 02:26 »
I hopefully wont need one, but are you allowed to use a calculator on the POSS test? 

thenuttyneutron

Re: Calculator
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2010, 02:40 »
No electronic calculators are allowed while taking the POSS test.  You can use your fingers and toes :)
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2010, 02:41 by The Nutty Neutron »

Pman52

« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2010, 02:53 »
No electronic calculators are allowed while taking the POSS test.  You can use your fingers and toes :)
Ah man.  Wish I'd have known that.  I could have done better if I had taken my shoes off... ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2010, 02:53 by Pman52 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2010, 02:55 »
I tried the forum search function in the POSS section of the forum, and came up with this message:

To add my own feedback; the test is exactly like the practice test on the eei web page.  There are several links in this thread to it with the user names and passwords needed.  No calculator allowed, but you do get scratch paper.

Offline Homer S.

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2010, 04:09 »
I tried the forum search function in the POSS section of the forum, and came up with this message:

I tried searching too. Guess I'm either not as patient or more than likely just not as smart as you. Thanks guys. Just want to be prepared.

Pman52

« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2010, 04:20 »
Just took the POSS a week ago.  Only thing I can suggest is to practice long division and be able to do it quickly.  You will use it a lot on the test.

Everything else is just based on your aptitude.  This is a test to see how you react in different situations and how fast you can solve a problem is a stressful situation.  There is A LOT of information here to help you with any other questions you have.  Good luck.  And use SEARCH!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sep 28, 2010, 06:12 »
I tried searching too. Guess I'm either not as patient or more than likely just not as smart as you. Thanks guys. Just want to be prepared.

I'm sure you are plenty smart, just not as experienced.

Click on "POSS & Other Tests" up above, then click in the  search box, and type "calculator", then click on the search button.  This thread and the other one should pop up.

my name is.....

FENOC math comprehension exam
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:08 »
Not looking for specifics just an idea.

Is anyone familiar with the Math Comprehension Exam administered by FENOC at Davis-Besse?

How high a degree of difficulty is it and what would be a good topic to start studying? I have already taken the MASS/POSS and passed, so if it is similar to that then right on.

Thanks for any info.

Meat

Re: FENOC math comprehension exam
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:07 »
If your good with algebra and trig you'll be good.

Out of curiosity are you part of the Lakeland/Terra Tech program?

my name is.....

« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2011, 11:40 »
If your good with algebra and trig you'll be good.

Out of curiosity are you part of the Lakeland/Terra Tech program?

Thank you for that information.

No sir, I am not apart of that program but I do have a degree in power plant technology from another program.

B6278

« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2011, 10:53 »
Hello
I took the PossC test last week and will be taking the aformentioned math test in about two weeks. Math is my best subject and I feel confident I may have only missed one or two on the math section and I completed the test. I bought a praxis 2 math study guide for becoming a math teacher and have looked it over the last few days.  But it seems a little too in depth, and I was wondering if there are any preparation suggestions for this test?  I have yet to recieve the study guide CD in the mail.  Does it cover everything I will be tested on, or is it just a base?

I have a BAS in Energy Management from Bismarck State, and currently work as an operator at a coal powered plant.  I have had an Ohio 3rd class license for about three years, do I possess adequate credentials? Additionally is a steam license required at a nuclear facility in Ohio, and will it be something that the interviewer will hold as a valuable asset?

Lastly, I also read something about attire.  To my Poss C test I wore a nice sweater and a pair of jeans with dress boats, should I do shirt and tie for this math test or do I only need to dress that way for the interview, if I pass?

Sorry my questions are so all over the place

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
Conversion Practice
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2011, 06:25 »
I searched the forums and there isn't any mention of a possible conversions worksheet(s). Anyone have any or know of a place to find them via the web for really cheap? (free!!!)

Guess I could make up my own, but wouldn't know if I had the right answers.

Help??

-Doc
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Sun Dog

Re: Conversion Practice
« Reply #15 on: Jul 20, 2011, 07:27 »
I searched the forums and there isn't any mention of a possible conversions worksheet(s). Anyone have any or know of a place to find them via the web for really cheap? (free!!!)

Guess I could make up my own, but wouldn't know if I had the right answers.

Help??

-Doc

You inspired me to dust off reference material I haven't looked at in years.  Check your Rad Health Handbook.  Mine contains many conversions, constants too!  I'd bet yours has the same info.   ;)

Like a sign from above, when I reached for the R.H.H. one of my copies of Gollnick fell open and out came a couple of wallet sized cards with conversions on one side and international units on the other.  Produced by Pacific Radiation Corp.

I think I'll put them on EBay.

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 07:49 by Sun Dog »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:08 »
What are you converting?!?!?

Since you seem to lean towards health physics I'll go out on a limb and direct you here;

http://www.radprocalculator.com/

Now you can check most conversion sheets you make for yourself for accuracy.

Writing up your own sheets is an effective way of cementing conversions in your head, it forces you to arrange things the way you process data.

Or you could just commit them to memory with a verbatim firehose.

Have fun,.... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #17 on: Jul 20, 2011, 10:36 »
Effects of Nuclear Weapons has a nice circular calculator with about 5 wheels to turn and line up. Sweet.  Wonder if they still sell this!!!!   HEre is one, there is a backside to  this too!!!

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2011, 10:42 by thenukeman »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2011, 11:06 »
Effects of Nuclear Weapons has a nice circular calculator with about 5 wheels to turn and line up. Sweet.  Wonder if they still sell this!!!!   HEre is one, there is a backside to  this too!!!

I'll try to scan the back of mine this weekend. IIRC it has a flash-to-bang and cloud height vs. time estimator.

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Jul 21, 2011, 01:01 »
What are you converting?!?!?

Since you seem to lean towards health physics I'll go out on a limb and direct you here;

http://www.radprocalculator.com/

Now you can check most conversion sheets you make for yourself for accuracy.

Writing up your own sheets is an effective way of cementing conversions in your head, it forces you to arrange things the way you process data.

Or you could just commit them to memory with a verbatim firehose.

Have fun,.... [coffee]

I want to brush up on my mathematics skills like converting dpm to Ci or mSv to Rem.

I don't want a conversions data sheet, I already have a few of those. Just a worksheet that gives the problems and answers so I can do the work and check if I got them right. (Practice Practice Practice again!)

Yes my core is HP but I won't be answering HP questions alone for the core exam or the NUF, or even the NRRPT. The more comfortable I am with my conversions the better i will feel about the exams. (Performance I am magnificent at, I just get a moderate amount of test anxiety when doing written exams)

Are the site tests timed like the practice ones here on NW?
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #20 on: Jul 21, 2011, 06:06 »

related link;

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/southrad/calculator.html

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Willy

Help with math and other subjects
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:26 »
This guy does 10 to 15 minute lectures on different subjects.  60 Minutes ran a special on him this past Sunday.  I found it pretty interesting.   

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Offline tntplayer

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
Re: Help with math and other subjects
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2012, 10:42 »
Thanks for this link.  I am studying to become a high school teacher and this will be an invaluable resource... :)

Willy

Math Conversion Practice
« Reply #23 on: Aug 24, 2012, 10:24 »

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
Re: Math Conversion Practice
« Reply #24 on: Aug 25, 2012, 05:43 »
Nice find!

www.khanacademy.org is good for (re)learning/practicing math as well, but I had not found sections that closely mirror the POSS math sections.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2012, 05:45 by Bradtv »
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?