Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Preference? honeypot

Author Topic: Preference?  (Read 5136 times)

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
Preference?
« on: Jul 13, 2010, 12:16 »
While reading some posts, I came across a statement that thoroughly intrigued me. The poster (my memory fails me) claimed that Norfolk is the worst carrier base and second worst submarine base, with Pearl being the worst. That leads me to my question which is....

In your opinion what is the best Carrier base? Submarine base?
Why?

What makes them different (other than location)?

Just curious, and thanks in advance

VR,

secon

co60slr

Re: Preference?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2010, 05:22 »
While reading some posts, I came across a statement that thoroughly intrigued me. The poster (my memory fails me) claimed that Norfolk is the worst carrier base and second worst submarine base, with Pearl being the worst. That leads me to my question which is....

In your opinion what is the best Carrier base? Submarine base?  Why?

What makes them different (other than location)?
I doubt we'll find there are vast differences other than location and personal preferences of the region.  If someone doesn't like living in Hawaii, then obviously Pearl Harbor is to blame.  If you don't like heavy traffic and tunnels, then Norfolk is out.

Likewise with the neighboring shipyards.  Ask enough people and you'll get enough positive and negative opinions about their specific experiences.

Personally, I made it a point to get out and learn my area and surrounding community everywhere I lived (even now after retirement).  I hate snow/winter and enjoy summertime weather, so you can guess what some of my preferences were.   8)

From what angle are you asking your question?  For example, are you considering living in Groton, CT some day and are looking for more information?

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2010, 06:46 »
Personally, I made it a point to get out and learn my area and surrounding community everywhere I lived (even now after retirement).  I hate snow/winter and enjoy summertime weather, so you can guess what some of my preferences were.   8)

From what angle are you asking your question?  For example, are you considering living in Groton, CT some day and are looking for more information?

I'm from Augusta, GA....I like country music and sand gnats....I think Kings Bay is the best submarine base   ;D

Seriously, like Co60Slr said, personal preference plays a big part in "What base is best."

However, I've heard it said by multiple sources that the further away you are from DC, the better.

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2010, 07:53 »
I was stationed on a carrier in Norfolk and I loved it.  Maybe it's because I'm from Virginia or that after nuke school, anything is better than Goose Creek.  I also lived in Chesapeake which is nicer than Newport News or some of the other towns around Norfolk.  Traffic didn't seem that bad too me; personally, I think traffic around San Diego is worse.  Housing also seems like a better deal right now than other east coast bases -- it's expensive, but you can get more for you money.  For BAH, you can find really decent 3-4 br houses with amenities.  In Groton, you can get maybe a 2 br apartment.  (Although, Groton has decent base housing.)

I lived in Pearl when my ex-husband's boat changed ports.  No way I would ever go back.  NEX or not, it's too expensive to raise a family there.  Maybe it's not so bad for single sailors, but the island is only so big and it's pretty pricey to get off it.

The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2010, 08:34 »
I will break it down to you in a very simple way.

The worst base for carrier/subs is whereever the USS Currentfish is homeported.

The good base for carrier/subs is whereever the USS Ustafish is homeported.

The best base for carrier/subs is wherever the USS Neveragainfish(or USS EAOSfish) is homeported.

All others are a matter of personnel preference based on climate, taxes, demographics, traffic, and surrounding scenery.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2010, 10:11 »
Worst base for carriers: Everett, WA. It doesn't have any support facilities for nuclear carriers. Then, when the ship goes into the ship yard, you move to Bremerton or spend 4 hours getting to and from work (the ship typically provides a ferry from the Everett base to PSNS). After the shipyard, you either live in the Everett area or have 4 hours of transit again, which will be on your dime, although there are vanpools. All that being said, the base itself is great. All the paperpushers are great at their jobs, and usually willing to help out. The base is small, so there's rarely an issue getting on and off base. The NEX and commissary are about 20 miles away, but that's not the end of the world. Finally, the area. If you like outdoor activities, WA is awesome, with hiking, biking, skiing, running paths, and campgrounds all over.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2010, 06:43 »
Everyone always s**ts on "Rotten" Groton, but I loved it there. WAY less big Navy there than other places, and it is close to the Mountains to the north and NYC to the south. It is even a reasonable drive to Canada, if for some silly reason you wanted to go there. Once you got outside of Groton proper, the area offered a lot of things to do and a lot of history.

Had I stayed Navy, I would have went back there every time.
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2010, 07:52 by JustinHEMI »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2010, 07:52 »
Ah thank you, I corrected it. I just got done posting on a gaming website and didn't shift gears.  :P

My main attraction to Groton is the fact that the Navy doesn't run the area. You don't run into squids on every corner. Like I said, no Big Navy.

Oh and it was all Submariners. You didn't have to deal with those surface dummies. :P
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2010, 07:55 by JustinHEMI »

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2010, 10:38 »
I doubt we'll find there are vast differences other than location and personal preferences of the region.  If someone doesn't like living in Hawaii, then obviously Pearl Harbor is to blame.  If you don't like heavy traffic and tunnels, then Norfolk is out.

Likewise with the neighboring shipyards.  Ask enough people and you'll get enough positive and negative opinions about their specific experiences.

So, the angle from which I am asking the question is.....

Married sailer w/ dependent.
Preference to Carriers.
Bases considering Surface(current and revisable list): San Diego, Yokasuka, and Norfolk. I also wouldn't mind staying in Charleston.
If Sub: Guam, Hawaii, and I don't know any others (besides Groton, and while higher on my list, not exactly on the radar at the current time without some SERIOUS PERSUADING.
I didn't know much about the Washington base(s?)
My wife would strongly prefer to stay somewhere warm/out of the country
and If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. I'd be more than willing to provide more information.

Thanks for all the replies

VR,
Secon

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?