Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Future Nuke

Author Topic: Future Nuke  (Read 9520 times)

Offline Fadge

• Light User
Future Nuke
« on: Jul 15, 2010, 05:13 »
Hey everyone,

I just got back from meps this past week. I went their wanting nuke and I earned a 90 on the asvab, with a 243 line score. So I needed a 50 on the NAPT. Glad to say that I passed it witha  60. Overall it wasn't too difficult besides the physics questions (have never taken a physics course).

I have to clear a waiver because my mother was born in the Philippines, but once that goes through I just need to go back to MEPS and get my Nuke contract.

I have been hearing that DEP usually takes like 7-9 months in the Nuke program and I was wondering why that is? I want to ship out asap, but I know that it is needs of the Navy. I thought that the Navy needs Nukes? Why is the DEP period so long if that is the case?

Anyways I have been reading through this forum for like 6 months prior to going to MEPS and stuff. My main reason to join is to receive a higher education as I cannot do it on my own and to become more independent. I will update on when the waiver clears and I get my ship date (hopefully sooner than 9 months!)

Cheers!

DoorMatt

Re: Future Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2010, 08:00 »
From what I've been told, it's essentially when spots open up by sailors passing through A-School and NNPS (long wait) or deppers dropping out during their wait time which opens up earlier ship dates.

If you can get a DAR in soon enough after your waiver clears and you've got that contract, you'll have an opportunity to push up your ship date. Make sure you're sure you can pass your IFA, that's the key to requesting a DAR. I imagine you'll also have to wait for your background check (Secret clearance) to clear as well, but I'm not sure how that works.

I'm on DEP 'til 20110406...

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:29 »
I am sure I can pass the IFA. I have been playing soccer/baseball for 15 years so I'm in shape.

Just I am unsure what DAR is?

EDIT: Nevermind, so when my waiver gets cleared I will have to talk to my recruiter about DAR. Currently I believe that there are about 3-4 NUC deppers at my recruiting station. So I hope they all aren't as anxious as I am. :D
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 09:47 by Fadge »

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:06 »
I am sure I can pass the IFA. I have been playing soccer/baseball for 15 years so I'm in shape.

Just I am unsure what DAR is?

EDIT: Nevermind, so when my waiver gets cleared I will have to talk to my recruiter about DAR. Currently I believe that there are about 3-4 NUC deppers at my recruiting station. So I hope they all aren't as anxious as I am. :D

I don't want to kill your buzz, but just don't get too anxious.
I've seen a few unhappy people here, I like it but T track is so boring, basically just cleaning or standing watch till the next power school class up.
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

co60slr

« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:09 »
My main reason to join is to receive a higher education as I cannot do it on my own and to become more independent. I will update on when the waiver clears and I get my ship date (hopefully sooner than 9 months!)
You guys are worrying too much about your "ship date".  It's your first lesson in "government red tape".   Or..."it is, what it is".  So, assuming you can't change your ship date, what can you do to make use of your time?

You guys have a similar reason for joining and the same wait that I did 20+ years ago.   Nothing has changed.  You're on the right path.  Meanwhile...

Hint:
http://www.hss.energy.gov/nuclearsafety/ns/techstds/standard/standard.html
Head to the "Nuclear Physics and Reactor Theory" PDF file and start reading.   Many people ask about math, physics, etc...it's all right here for a starting point.

If you care to wait on the technical stuff, but are still left thirsty for "what did I just sign up for", then try this:

http://www.amazon.com/Rickover-Effect-Inside-Story-Nuclear/dp/0471122963/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279245074&sr=8-4

If you find yourself saying "heck with it, they'll spoon feed me like they did in High School", then I recommend you reassess the competition you have in DEP and see if the NNPP is for you after all.   A group of operators in Russia destroyed hundreds of square miles of real estate: http://www.kiddofspeed.com/ so, no one is going to care if your feelings get hurt along the way.

Yes...it's that serious.

Co60

gj117974

« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2010, 05:28 »
Hey congratulations...from what i've been told, the Nuke Director (in my area) told me that he can only put so many nukes in per month...right now i just took my asvab on the 15th, and then took the NAPT a few days ago...scoring pretty good....however, my ship date is 201105??, the day is still unknown for some reason...but it's about 9 months :( i'm requesting to go earlier in a week or so.

Offline Abiien

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2010, 10:24 »
A tip for all of you: As eager as you may be to join quickly, enjoy your time off. It may suck, but you will miss it once you get further in the pipeline (Given you don't fail, which I hope none of you do.) I wouldn't trade it for anything (or at least I like to think so). This is definitely one of the best decisions I've made. Good luck!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2010, 10:29 »
Don't worry about your clearance. I had a guy whose parents were both from N Korea, he's a nuke, so you shouldn't have any issues. Otherwise, just use your time wisely.

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2010, 11:16 »
Yeah, the clearence just went through. So I am heading down to San Diego MEPS on Monday.

Sidenote: If I have already passed my physical will they make me take another urinalysis because im unsure whether or not I will pass it because a couple of parties that I have been to recently a lot of people there were smoking marijuana and could second hand smoke trigger a bad test?

Offline seconskin552

• Light User
  • I'm not a doctor. I am only five years old!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2010, 12:02 »
INB4 the Second Crusade on Drugs.

If you can answer why you went to those type of parties, the wonderful people on the board will not hang you by your toenails. Just a heads up.

VR,

Secon

edit: Haha beat you Dave! ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2010, 12:08 by seconskin552 »

MacGyver

« Reply #10 on: Aug 01, 2010, 01:16 »
Yeah, the clearence just went through. So I am heading down to San Diego MEPS on Monday.

Sidenote: If I have already passed my physical will they make me take another urinalysis because im unsure whether or not I will pass it because a couple of parties that I have been to recently a lot of people there were smoking marijuana and could second hand smoke trigger a bad test?

YES you will be taking a PISS Test at MEPS for the physical.  And, NO I've never heard of 'second hand marijuana' (sic) causing a applicant to fail the test.  Unless of course you were doing more than second hand smoking  [dunce] [hypno] [boohoo]

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #11 on: Aug 01, 2010, 04:03 »

Generally no - second hand pot smoke won't trigger a positive, unless it was one of those reggae heavy smoke parties indoors....

Now would be a good time to find a new group of friends to party with...  8)

and hey, thanks for your upcoming service...
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Aug 01, 2010, 04:13 »
Generally no - second hand pot smoke won't trigger a positive, unless it was one of those reggae heavy smoke parties indoors....

Clam Bake?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #13 on: Aug 01, 2010, 05:28 »
or rolling along in a car with all the windows rolled up similar to the scene from Predator 2.  On a completely off topic statement, I really enjoy the new "smileys" that are available.   [king]
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Aug 19, 2010, 09:08 »
YES you will be taking a PISS Test at MEPS for the physical.  And, NO I've never heard of 'second hand marijuana' (sic) causing a applicant to fail the test.  Unless of course you were doing more than second hand smoking  [dunce] [hypno] [boohoo]

Its been siad that if your were put in an 8x8 with 4 of your friends smoking constantly for 12 hrs you will still not have enough w.e it is in your body to pop positive.

funny story, was in DEP left my car unlocked one night, went to work the next morning to find my car 'hot boxed' I was so pissed, told my recruiter, he laughed at me. haha. then bought like 2 febreezes. that disgusting smell finally went away after a week. Also weird part they left coconut tanning oil in my cars center console... yeh that was like last May..
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?