Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Respirator Test honeypot

Author Topic: Respirator Test  (Read 15104 times)

rbeck

Respirator Test
« on: Jul 15, 2010, 06:18 »
Well I'm scheduled to take the POSS in 2 weeks and im currently preparing for it daily.

Not to jump the gun, but if I do well on the test and interview and get hired, there's one exam I'm kind of nervous about. My friend said he had to do a respirator test. I have asthma and I'm curious if that will cause a problem. I don't have asthma attacks or anything, it's mostly activity induced astha (running, sports, etc).

I'm trying to obtain the nuclear technician position.
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2010, 06:23 by rbeck »

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
Re: Respirator Test
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2010, 06:56 »
Well I'm scheduled to take the POSS in 2 weeks and im currently preparing for it daily.

Not to jump the gun, but if I do well on the test and interview and get hired, there's one exam I'm kind of nervous about. My friend said he had to do a respirator test. I have asthma and I'm curious if that will cause a problem. I don't have asthma attacks or anything, it's mostly activity induced astha (running, sports, etc).

Just my opinion so just take it as such.  I think it depends on how well you have your asthma under control.  You will have advanced notice as to when the respirator physical with take place.  You should have plenty of time to medicate.  I'm an older, overweight tech who smoked for over thirty years.  I passed the physical (barely) and now count myself as a non smoker!  Good luck and try to stay easy.  What I know of asthma, stress isn't something you want on the day of the physical.  Also, don't worry too much about the respirator fit test.  Mainly they want to make sure you don't lose your fit while moving.  A little walking in place should be about it.  Peace.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline jjack50

• Heavy User
  • Now, LEARN DAMIT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2010, 12:24 »
For someone with asthma the tough part of the physical is the lung function test. I'd suggest you make sure your lungs are as clear as possible before you try it.
One suggestion I had from a nurse after I had failed the test was to practice blowing up rubber balloons. I think it helped some. My rescue inhaler helped too.
You should get more than one opportunity to pass the test. Remember though that you'll have to pass the lung function test every year. Working with a good pulmonologist is a good idea.

Sun Dog

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2010, 01:57 »
For someone with asthma the tough part of the physical is the lung function test. I'd suggest you make sure your lungs are as clear as possible before you try it.
One suggestion I had from a nurse after I had failed the test was to practice blowing up rubber balloons. I think it helped some. My rescue inhaler helped too.
You should get more than one opportunity to pass the test. Remember though that you'll have to pass the lung function test every year. Working with a good pulmonologist is a good idea.

A better idea is to know and accept your physical limitations.  The worst thing you can do is "study" for a spirometer test and because you "studied" you passed and get medically qualified to wear a FFNP respirator.  Now, it is 0300 and without warning you are directed to put on a face pump and go take a smear inside the PZR Doghouse at 100% power.  No time to "study."  You do what you are told.  You climb the ladder into that blast furnace and find out your two lungs fail the test that really matters and you die.  For what?  A job?  Get real.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2010, 02:39 »
A better idea is to know and accept your physical limitations.  The worst thing you can do is "study" for a spirometer test and because you "studied" you passed and get medically qualified to wear a FFNP respirator.  Now, it is 0300 and without warning you are directed to put on a face pump and go take a smear inside the PZR Doghouse at 100% power.  No time to "study."  You do what you are told.  You climb the ladder into that blast furnace and find out your two lungs fail the test that really matters and you die.  For what?  A job?  Get real.
I doubt seriously an operator would have to take a smear inside a PZR doghouse!  Unless of coarse, he was dating the HP tech.  The poster was talking about taking the POSS, a test, as an HP I've never been required to pass.
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jul 16, 2010, 04:17 »
  The poster was talking about taking the POSS, a test, as an HP I've never been required to pass.

Ok, try....'study and pass' for the respirator test, go to your Fire Brigade training (at many sites operators are on Fire Brigade), spend a whole day humping hoses and combustables around, strap on the SCBA, go into the real live building with real life smoke, your airways already stressin from exertion plus now the dry air in your AirPak, and pass out for real from low O2 sats. Now, not only is YOUR life in danger, but the two other guys who are in the real fire dragging you out. It is irresponsible, and really fraudulent, to try that.

Not on Fire Brigade? Okay, try a rubber suit and respirator in the heat of sunny Region IV-nia , doing an ammonia onload. Exertion, ammonia fumes...same failure mode.

Either way, the physical exam is not there to keep eager deserving people from having fun in a lucrative career path, it is there to ensure that you can safely perform the essential functions of the position. Safe for you, safe for the company.

With that said, best of luck !

MacGyver

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2010, 12:14 »

I believe I know the company to which you speak.  Are they in the Southeatern USA? 

If yes, then know this:  1) You have to pass the POSS/MASS first; 2) You must be offered an interview second; 3) You must pass the interview process; 4) You will be given an UN-OFFICIAL offer with an invitation to take the MMPI and Physical while they run your Background and Security screening; 5) After satisfactory completion you will then be given an OFFICIAL offer.

Now to your question:
The 'respirator test' will be conducted during the physical examination process.  You, therefore, will not be offered a job if you fail any portion of the processes laid out above.

Our concern:
If you have to study (sic) for this job (e.g. Nuclear Technician) then you should not apply.  If you need crutches for any part of the process you should not apply.  In addition, if you wish to become an Operator you will be assigned to the Fire Brigade Team.  And, yes, it is very much a HUGE Physical exertion on your body.  Much like running with heavy weights in an oven.  But, this will be different since you will be endangering your team-mates lives due to your reckless behavior.  And, that is just unacceptable.  Unless of course you wish to add 'intentional homicide' to your resume.

Ok, try....'study and pass' for the respirator test, go to your Fire Brigade training (at many sites operators are on Fire Brigade), spend a whole day humping hoses and combustables around, strap on the SCBA, go into the real live building with real life smoke, your airways already stressin from exertion plus now the dry air in your AirPak, and pass out for real from low O2 sats. Now, not only is YOUR life in danger, but the two other guys who are in the real fire dragging you out. It is irresponsible, and really fraudulent, to try that.

Not on Fire Brigade? Okay, try a rubber suit and respirator in the heat of sunny Region IV-nia , doing an ammonia onload. Exertion, ammonia fumes...same failure mode.

Either way, the physical exam is not there to keep eager deserving people from having fun in a lucrative career path, it is there to ensure that you can safely perform the essential functions of the position. Safe for you, safe for the company.

You nailed it.  Good advice.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2010, 12:14 by MacGyver »

Sun Dog

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2010, 12:23 »
Are all you guys who suggest ways to circumvent the process just to get a J.O.B. listening to this real world advice?

I Hope so.

I believe I know the company to which you speak.  Are they in the Southeatern USA? 

If yes, then know this:  1) You have to pass the POSS/MASS first; 2) You must be offered an interview second; 3) You must pass the interview process; 4) You will be given an UN-OFFICIAL offer with an invitation to take the MMPI and Physical while they run your Background and Security screening; 5) After satisfactory completion you will then be given an OFFICIAL offer.

Now to your question:
The 'respirator test' will be conducted during the physical examination process.  You, therefore, will not be offered a job if you fail any portion of the processes laid out above.

Our concern:
If you have to study (sic) for this job (e.g. Nuclear Technician) then you should not apply.  If you need crutches for any part of the process you should not apply.  In addition, if you wish to become an Operator you will be assigned to the Fire Brigade Team.  And, yes, it is very much a HUGE Physical exertion on your body.  Much like running with heavy weights in an oven.  But, this will be different since you will be endangering your team-mates lives due to your reckless behavior.  And, that is just unacceptable.  Unless of course you wish to add 'intentional homicide' to your resume.

You nailed it.  Good advice.

Offline jjack50

• Heavy User
  • Now, LEARN DAMIT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2010, 02:55 »

The balloon practice is not just to get you to pass the test. You pass the test because your lung capacity is improved by the exercise. There is a level of permanent improvement from the exercise. As long as you keep up the practice you improve your lung function.. If you ever need to wear a respirator it will improve your ability to handle breathing in it. This according to the nurse who gave the advice. 

As to the rescue inhaler, That's standard for many people with asthma. You generally know when you need to use it.

There is no circumventing a process. The medical screeners know about the asthma and will approve or disapprove you based on your medical history and performance.

Sun Dog

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:06 »

As to the rescue inhaler, That's standard for many people with asthma. You generally know when you need to use it.

Hopefully you won't need it when that face pump is strapped to your mug.  It may delay delivery.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2010, 03:24 »
This according to the nurse who gave the advice. 

Was the nurse given this whole story, and recommend that an asthmatic try to fight fires in SCBA or work in a fumes/mist/vapor environment? Yeah, though so.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #11 on: Jul 17, 2010, 04:07 »
Was the nurse given this whole story, and recommend that an asthmatic try to fight fires in SCBA or work in a fumes/mist/vapor environment? Yeah, though so.

No, that person was taking an RP respirator physical... not Ops / Fire Brigade.
RP was taken off the fire brigade at that location by the time he hired on...  ;)

I went through the fire brigade when I hired on. I can't imagine trying the training with activity induced asthma... I had trouble as a middle aged, non-smoking outdoors hiker type...  :D
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline jjack50

• Heavy User
  • Now, LEARN DAMIT!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2010, 04:02 »
Understand that asthma as a condition varies greatly with the individual. For some people appropriate medical treatment can keep the asthma suppressed sufficiently that a MEDICAL REVIEWER will review the results of the lung function test and MEDICAL HISTORY and approve a person for full fire brigade performance.

That's not always true of everyone who has been diagnosed with asthma but it is true of many.

Its wrong to assume that a person who is interested in a operations position cannot succeed just because that person has asthma. Let him try and find out if his asthma is sufficiently under control for him to receive a medical OK.

rbeck

« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2010, 06:13 »
I would just like to say that I appreciate everyone's feedback.

It's not my intention to "cheat" or be deceiving in any part of the hiring process, including the respirator test. This opportunity is HUGE for me and can open up many doors for me. With that being said, im going to work very hard over the next several weeks to control/improve my asthma with exercise, diet, etc. For all I know, my asthma might not be severe enough to cause a problem, but I will let a professional be the judge of that.

If I make it as far as the physical exam and I pass then praise Jesus...if not then I know I tried my best.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2010, 06:14 by rbeck »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2010, 06:25 »
If I make it as far as the physical exam and I pass then praise Jesus...if not then I know I tried my best.

Right on! Good Luck!

+K to ya! (not that we can see it anymore, but... ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?