Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Karma honeypot

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 20364 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Due to an excessive number of complaints about “who smited me”, referring to the optional karma feature in the message board, the mysterious “karma log” will be retired.

The karma log is not a standard feature in the forum software, and may not be compatible with the next version of the software, which we will be upgrading to soon.

I understand that the karma log was a very enjoyable and popular feature, and I regret having to remove the feature; however it has caused more harm than good.

If we continue to get complaints about karma, the feature as a whole will be disabled.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2010, 06:18 »
The old herding cats analogy huh? ::) ::)
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:01 »
The old herding cats analogy huh? ::) ::)
Yes

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2010, 09:54 »
Although I have not used the karma buttons (until today) for a few weeks I cannot fathom nukeworker without them. I believe that Mike has allowed a few members to totally rip apart what he and others have developed here. People need to grow up and come into the real world...

This site used to be fun and enjoyable; heck even the fights and squabbles were gotten over fairly quickly and even enjoyable at times... I can't pinpoint when it began to happen but over the past several months someone has been pushing some buttons or pulling some strings because I never would have believed that Mike R would ever allow mere members cause this type of alteration of n.w.

As a gold member, I believe one of the perks offered was the option to give karma... if karma goes then well so should the paid membership... only my opinion but its the way I feel.

t_tarbox

« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:24 »
Here..before we beat this dead horse again..

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,20932.120.html

Thread Lock?

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2010, 11:37 »
Here..before we beat this dead horse again..

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,20932.120.html

Thread Lock?

By all means... lock it. Good lord... this place is turning into a police state.  ::)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2010, 12:16 »
Poking the guy trying to restore calm won't help  :-\

Some times you have to ask yourself.  "Self, am I part of the solution?  Or am I part of the problem?"
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2010, 12:24 by Rennhack »

co60slr

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2010, 11:36 »
... and yet, evil exists
So say us simple humans.

Sic transit gloria mundi....

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2010, 03:00 »
I have removed the karma log files. 

I have temporarily given EVERY user the ability to smite and applaud people.  Have fun.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2010, 04:24 »
RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...

Now no one  has to dwell on being envious of your Karma  :P

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jul 18, 2010, 04:35 »
I have removed the karma log files. 

I have temporarily given EVERY user the ability to smite and applaud people.  Have fun.
So the advantage of being a GM is............
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2010, 04:38 »

Posting to PolySci where the same 6 people read and comment ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2010, 04:58 »

There has never been an advantage to being one.  It is a personal choice.  It is not a monetarily advantageous investment.

It does allow you to post in the GM only areas, and read the stuff that gets moved there.  But mostly, it's a "tangible display of support for the site" thing.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2010, 12:12 by Rennhack »

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2010, 05:30 »
There has never been an advantage to being one.  It is a personal choice.  It is not a monetarily advantageous investment.

It does allow you to post in the GM only areas, and read the stuff that gets moved there.  But mostly, it's a "tangible display of support for the site" thing.
I found nukeworker in 2005.  When searching for post-Navy employment, it was a great networking resource.  2 of 5 interviews came from contacts made through nukeworker.  Becoming a GM seemed like a good way to show my gratitude in a "tangible display of support for the site".  It looks like to me that the tone of the site has been set on its heels recently.  I'm not sure why that is, but to me NW has nothing to explain or apologize for.  If you don't like the site, don't visit it.  If you do like the site, support it.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 19, 2010, 07:29 »
  I have great respect for Colin Powell and have reviewed his Leadership Primer from time to time as a reminder. Here is his Lesson One.

Lesson 1

Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off.

Good leadership involves responsibility to the welfare of the group, which means that some people will get angry at your actions and decisions. It's inevitable if you're honorable. Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity: You'll avoid the tough decisions, you'll avoid confronting the people who need to be confronted, and you'll avoid offering differential rewards based on differential performance because some people might get upset. Ironically, by procrastinating on the difficult choices, by trying not to get anyone mad, and by treating everyone equally "nicely" regardless of their contributions, you'll simply ensure that the only people you'll wind up angering are the most creative and productive people in the organization.

http://www.chally.com/enews/powell.html

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Jul 19, 2010, 08:25 »
I found nukeworker in 2005.  When searching for post-Navy employment, it was a great networking resource.  2 of 5 interviews came from contacts made through nukeworker.  Becoming a GM seemed like a good way to show my gratitude in a "tangible display of support for the site".  It looks like to me that the tone of the site has been set on its heels recently.  I'm not sure why that is, but to me NW has nothing to explain or apologize for.  If you don't like the site, don't visit it.  If you do like the site, support it.

Thank you.

Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity

See that? My buddy is calling me mediocre.

Marlin,

What is really happening is this:

"ONE GUY" is bitching about the site, claiming that we are a click/a club.  That we are deleting posts that we don't like, just to suit our agenda.  That he, and people like him, are being persecuted.

I say "ONE GUY" in quotes, because this guy is starting to get followers.

I've heard about this favoritism stuff for too long, and my buttons have been mashed on for too long.  This isn't a single response to a single complaint.  It’s been happening for years now.

Sometimes I’m a smart guy.  Sometimes when people tell me that my fly is down I look down to check to see if it is.  Often my fly is down, and I have to adjust it.

As you know, in the nuclear industry, we are programmed to give and receive peer coaching.  We are not to get excited when someone complains, or makes an observation.  These observations are meant to help us improve, if we are willing to listen.

Listening to every yahoo does not mean implement what every yahoo suggests.  However, if you get enough independent yahoos all singing the same song… the melody is hard to resist, and you start to hum a few bars.

I want you to know that the recent changes were not the result of any recent actions, other than they may have been the catalyst.

These changes have been made over several months, even years. Any they do not need to be permanent changes.  Just as the climate has changes on this site several times, it will change again, and require us to adapt again.

There are a few expected outcomes from this recent action. 
1: The karma log is dead.  Long live karma. – This will remove >50% of the complaints I get.
2: The people that claim they are being over moderated will only have me to blame, not some mysterious moderator.  They might get me to fire a moderator if they complain long enough.  But they are not going to get me to fire myself.  So the next step in complaint reduction would be to remove THEM.
3: At some point, we will need to bring some of the moderators back.  A forum needs moderators.  When we bring moderators back, we need to do a better job a training them, and managing them.  We have failed to give any of the moderators any training or guidance.

Things change, but they don’t have to stay changed.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 19, 2010, 10:25 »
I was focusing on the part I highlighted in blue, I had not thought much about the mediocrity thing! Do we need to talk? The Psychiatrist is in only 5 cents!!  ;)

P.S. I miss the monthly poker games. I only play poker every three or four months instead of every month now.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2010, 10:30 by Marlin »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Jul 19, 2010, 11:11 »
I'm starting to get what I'm looking for.  A little outrage from the silent majority.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jul 19, 2010, 02:05 »
I'm starting to get what I'm looking for.  A little outrage from the silent majority.
I tend to be a little thin skinned at times, especially when my ego gets hurt. Thus, the recent juvenile posts. Mike, I still love this site.  I'll miss being able to see who smited whom, but I'm sure I'll get over it.  This site has been a blessing!  Had it not been for someone calling me a kiss a** for applauding you, I'm sure I would have kept it up.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 2010, 03:04 »
Had it not been for someone calling me a kiss a** for applauding you, I'm sure I would have kept it up.

Now they will never know.

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 19, 2010, 03:33 »
Please read my post for Moderator Changes. Things also can apply here.  :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #21 on: Jul 19, 2010, 04:34 »
I am a new member here and was curious about the karma function. Is it open to all members now or do you have to meet certain goals to be able to give/recieve karma?
Typically, only gold members can use affect other peoples karma.

I have temporarily opened up karmic actions to everyone.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #22 on: Jul 19, 2010, 05:51 »
Once when I was getting a lot of complaints I instituted a complaint department.   I assigned Helen Wait to handle all complaints.  So if anybody had a complaint, they could go to Helen Wait. 

Didn't help, but made me feel better.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2010, 08:46 »
Once when I was getting a lot of complaints I instituted a complaint department.   I assigned Helen Wait to handle all complaints.  So if anybody had a complaint, they could go to Helen Wait. 

Didn't help, but made me feel better.

I worked for a company that hired her cousin for the same job. Her name was Helen Hunt, just like the actress. If I had a problem they told me to go to Helen Hunt for the answer.

Didn't help me much, either.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #24 on: Jul 25, 2010, 11:22 »
RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...RIP...

:'(  I miss the log  :'(
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?