Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Background Checks - Disqualifiers for Federal Employment? honeypot

Author Topic: Background Checks - Disqualifiers for Federal Employment?  (Read 58883 times)

Crazy Cooter

I've been lurking around the site for several months and would love to move into the Industry.  I have an engineering background but have a couple (2) skeletons in the closet from over 8 years ago.  Is there some way to get a definitive answer as to what disqualifies someone for employment?  From what I've found online, it looks like the "General" Federal Government calls you clean after 5 years (not for security clearances, just general employment).  What does the DOE, DoD, and the Power Plants have for disqualifiers?

Can I ever get into the field or am I stuck admiring it from afar?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also, how often are security clearance required in DOE, DoD, Power?

btw: Here's a link to DoD appeal decisions for Security Clearances:
http://www.defenselink.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
Re: Background Checks - Disqualifiers for Federal Employment?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2004, 01:13 »
I can give you some insight in to this question if you are still interested.  PM me if you are still seeking an answer.

Atomic_Punk

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2004, 02:58 »
If you do decide to take the plunge and go for it, remember this.  When filling out the paperwork for your security clearance, DO NOT try to hide anything,
be totally honest.  If there is something that you don't disclose and they find it,
you're pretty much hosed.  They tend to be a little more forgiving when you
give them the straight scoop.  Any security types out there want to weigh in
on this subject? 

Offline Dream Tar Heel

• Dulce Periculum
  • Moderate User
  • Never Happy Until Happy With Yourself!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2004, 04:20 »
A couple of years ago I went for an "L" Clearance in the big DOE world, and it is so very true not to hide anything. I was totally honest when I filled out my paperwork, then I had to go an interview with some guy from the DOI (Dept Of Investigations), and he had my entire life on paper. When the Feds run your credit report, they find everything, he had stuff that was 15 years old that "EVERYBODY", including the creditors had forgot about. It was amazing the stuff he asked me about.

Onething in particular was credit cards, they are very instered in people who get credit cards, max them out and forget about them (which luckly was not my case). But they do understand the inherit credit problems of us "Nuclear Nomads", how the seasonal work can sometimes make you late on that payment until you get back to work.

The interview went pretty well, lots of questions and lots of answers (all tape recorded), and then he bid my goodbye with my promise to clean up some recent credit oversights. I cleared up what I could and sent him copies of receipts and a memo on my status on some others, 2 months later I got my "L" Clearance.

So as far as the wonderful DOE, as stated in the above post. Just be honest and dont hide anything, they already know, they just wanna know how honest you are about telling them about it!

8)
I NEVER KNEW LOVE, I JUST KNOW THE SOUND IT MAKES WHEN IT LIES!

allforthenukie

« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2004, 11:26 »
     I'm no security expert, but for what it's worth...
     As far as power plants are concerned, some common 'skeletons' security looks for in your past would be things like drunk driving conviction, drug conviction, any criminal conviction for that matter other than minor trafic tickets, flunking a random drug test, and now since 9/11 they're looking at peoples credit history.
     Unless you're a convicted felon your closet skeletons probably wouldn't disqualify you from power plant access if they occured more than five years ago, AND you've paid your debt to society or cleaned up or whatever, AND haven't been in any trouble since.
     Trustworthyness is what they want to see. Don't hide things from your past. They will find out.
     So go ahead and give it a try! Nothing to lose and a great $career$ to gain.
     Good luck.

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2004, 07:38 »
New to this one.....yes honesty first and desire. If you want this bad enough, you will get it. With exceptions, almost all can be forgiven just be prepared to explain yourself at every job for awhile. You'll do fine :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?