Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu How do I start? honeypot

Author Topic: How do I start?  (Read 9042 times)

Offline tw78

• Very Lite User
How do I start?
« on: Jul 20, 2010, 04:35 »
So I have never worked in the nuclear power industry, and have some questians.  I was hoping to get in to a entry level maintenance technician job, but not sure what type of education requirements I might run into.  I am looking into going to school at night for the next however long and then making a career change, I know very little about the industry and right now I just doing my homework before making a descision.  I have extensive expierence in the aviation industry, including hydraulic, pneumatic, engine, transmission, sheet metal, composite, and electrical maintenence, and I am hoping some of that will transfer over.
I don't know if there are different types of maintenence personell who work in the nuclear power industry.  If so can anyone recomend a particular disipline and/or explain the differences.  I am not looking to become an engineer, due to the fact that I can only afford to go to school for about 2 years before I will run out of money to pay tution.
Also was kind of pay can I expect to recieve as an entry level tech? Are there oportunities to advance in most areas? Can I expect to move around the country a lot or will I generally stay in one area?  Can anyone recomend any good training programs?
Thank you

HeatherB.

Re: How do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2010, 08:27 »
Godspeed & bless you child... get ready.

Some of the Old Goat, Holier-Than-Thou types on this board are going to crucify your spelling. That's what some of them do best. LOL!

As far as advice goes... have you checked into any local unions? Got yourself some good references? A clean criminal history? Looked into any apprentice or internship programs nearby? I'm not trying to pry ~ just these things will come up in your job search & hiring process. Might as well do the legwork now, rather than later.

Good luck with your search, stick with it... don't let the naysayers discourage you.
 :)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2010, 09:27 »
Some of the Old Goat, Holier-Than-Thou types on this board are going to crucify your spelling. That's what some of them do best. LOL!

Some of the "Old Goats" on this site do the hiring and firing and are much more likely to provide useful information than a cheerleader who provides no usable information.

So I have never worked in the nuclear power industry, and have some questions.  I was hoping to get in to a entry level maintenance technician job, but not sure what type of education requirements I might run into.  I am looking into going to school at night for the next however long and then making a career change, I know very little about the industry and right now I just doing my homework before making a decision.  I have extensive experience in the aviation industry, including hydraulic, pneumatic, engine, transmission, sheet metal, composite, and electrical maintenance, and I am hoping some of that will transfer over.
I don't know if there are different types of maintenance personell who work in the nuclear power industry.  If so can anyone recommend a particular discipline and/or explain the differences.  I am not looking to become an engineer, due to the fact that I can only afford to go to school for about 2 years before I will run out of money to pay tution.
Also was kind of pay can I expect to receive as an entry level tech? Are there opportunities to advance in most areas? Can I expect to move around the country a lot or will I generally stay in one area?  Can anyone recommend any good training programs?
Thank you

Cruise through the site most of your questions have been asked in the past, you may find some usefull information. Hopefully an old goat with some current information will speak up and head you in the right direction for the field you want.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2010, 09:37 »
Some of the "Old Goats" on this site do the hiring and firing and are much more likely to provide useful information than a cheerleader who provides no usable information.

Cruise through the site most of your questions have been asked in the past, you may find some usefull information. Hopefully an old goat with some current information will speak up and head you in the right direction for the field you want.
Oh Marlin, you spanked the poor girl.  How dare the young'uns not respect us old goats!!!!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

HeatherB.

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2010, 10:32 »

Just wanted to offer some encouragement tw78, doesn't seem to be a lot of that on these boards, lately.
LOL ~ And I rest my case. The "old goat" reference was supposed to be a compliment (the holier-than-thou, not so much).
And you all should know by now....save the cheerleader, save the world.

SMITE SMITE SMITE.... spank spank spank. You wish.
 :D

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #5 on: Jul 20, 2010, 10:43 »
Godspeed & bless you child... get ready.

As far as advice goes... have you checked into any local unions? Got yourself some good references? A clean criminal history? Looked into any apprentice or internship programs nearby? I'm not trying to pry ~ just these things will come up in your job search & hiring process. Might as well do the legwork now, rather than later.

Good luck with your search, stick with it... don't let the naysayers discourage you.
 :)

Young and already cynical. Wow. You'll fit right in in a couple years. ;)

The old goats will do that but we also give pretty good info.

This field has a multitude of professions and from your list of experience, you could fit into any of them.

pipefitters, electricians, valve workers, etc.

the question that would help us help you: where are you and where do you want to be?
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2010, 10:44 by Smart People »
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2010, 06:53 »
Oh Marlin, you spanked the poor girl.  How dare the young'uns not respect us old goats!!!!

I had just watched Up again and was feeling very Carl Fredricksenish.

And you all should know by now....save the cheerleader, save the world.

Was the Cheerleader saved, I think Heroes is on the chopping block last time I checked. Too bad I liked the show it just ruined Spock for me in the Star Trek movie I couldn't get past the Syler thing.

SMITE SMITE SMITE.... spank spank spank. You wish.

I don't have to take my shoes off to count the number of times I have used the smite button since I registered on this site in 2001.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2010, 08:54 »
Marlin, you got me smited!  Should I PM Mike? :P :P :P
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 21, 2010, 10:00 »
Marlin, you got me smited!  Should I PM Mike? :P :P :P

Yes!! Apparently the squeaking wheel does get the grease.   ;D

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Jul 21, 2010, 06:55 »
So I have never worked in the nuclear power industry, and have some questians.  I was hoping to get in to a entry level maintenance technician job, but not sure what type of education requirements I might run into.  I am looking into going to school at night for the next however long and then making a career change, I know very little about the industry and right now I just doing my homework before making a descision.  I have extensive expierence in the aviation industry, including hydraulic, pneumatic, engine, transmission, sheet metal, composite, and electrical maintenence, and I am hoping some of that will transfer over.
I don't know if there are different types of maintenence personell who work in the nuclear power industry.  If so can anyone recomend a particular disipline and/or explain the differences.  I am not looking to become an engineer, due to the fact that I can only afford to go to school for about 2 years before I will run out of money to pay tution.
Also was kind of pay can I expect to recieve as an entry level tech? Are there oportunities to advance in most areas? Can I expect to move around the country a lot or will I generally stay in one area?  Can anyone recomend any good training programs?
Thank you

Our utility breaks maintenance into Mechanics, Electricians, and Instrumentation/Controls.  But that is just for permanent positions.   During outages, we bring in extras for all those, plus valve maintenance techs, refueling crew, generator maintenance techs, millwrights, etc., etc...all of which you are qualified for... 

I recently went back for a couple of years and got an electronics degree.  It got me into I&C.  If I had it to do over again, I probably would have taken robotics...would have still been able to get into I&C, but think it would have been even MORE fun.  Anyway, just pick something you enjoy & have a good time in school...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Jul 21, 2010, 07:19 »

Oh Lord, here we go again.  This sounds almost exactly like a "technician" we hired when his airline was on strike.  Nothing against the original poster, since he is at least seeking information, but I would be very cautious of hiring from the aviation industry.  Of the two we hired, one has to be watched like a hawk, and the other one has been dumped to fossil generation in lieu of being fired.

To the original poster, if you are looking for an I&C position, then no, your aviation experience will not transfer well.

And just to maske some others happy, learn to use the spell check button.  Make it your friend.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2010, 10:30 »
And just to maske some others happy, learn to use the spell check button.  Make it your friend.

;)

Offline QCguy

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2013, 01:52 »
This is an update to getting in:

1.  What kind of jobs/ job titles are available?

My best advice is read the help wanted ads on this board (mostly seems to be more full time employment jobs) or Roadtechs.com board, which tends to be more outage related jobs.  This tells you titles, and what the employer is looking for as to experience/education.

2.  What's available in education?  I don't have a complete answer on that, but one good source I have found is this link to the NRC Grant program.  Look at Tech programs about 1/2 way down the page for schools:

http://www.nrc.gov/about-nrc/grants/awards.html
There is a list of schools that got NRC money for scholarships, a whole different set that received money for minorities and under-served students (whoever that is) and even money for the University of Puerto Rico's Nuclear program.

These are all schools with active programs.  BTW, Aiken Technical Collage, Aiken SC,  plans to start a 2 year QC program in 2013, see their website.

3.  Craft workers, like electricians, pipefitters, carpenters often get their training through a Union apprentice program.  I found the I&C comment above interesting,  an associate degree in electronics or classes in PLC (programmable logic controllers) might be a good start.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?