Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Security clearance question honeypot

Author Topic: Security clearance question  (Read 30208 times)

mclain69

Security clearance question
« on: Jul 20, 2004, 02:24 »
I'm wanting a job that requries you to have a security clearance, I was wanting to know I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy 3 1/2 years ago and still have a year and half to pay on it, will it keep me from getting a security clearance ???

Crazy Cooter

Re: Security clearance question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2004, 03:09 »
disclaimer: I'm no expert, but based on my research the DoD, DOE & PowerPlants have different criteria.  Here's a link for the DoD's view on financial matters regarding security clearance: http://www.dss.mil/nf/adr/finance/finanF.htm

"Significance of Bankruptcy: The significance of bankruptcy depends upon the cause of the bankruptcy. If subject was not at fault for the financial problems, bankruptcy may be an appropriate solution. If bankruptcy was due to financial irresponsibility and there has been no change in behavior or lifestyle, or if financial irresponsibility has continued thereafter, it is a very serious concern. The credit report covering the period after the bankruptcy may contain clues to the subject’s post-bankruptcy behavior. If debts again build to the maximum of the available credit, this suggests continuing financial irresponsibility.

Filing for bankruptcy under Chapter 13 rather than Chapter 7 may be a positive indicator, as it shows a serious commitment to repay debt."

That's a blurb from the above page.  I have no info as to how the DOE looks at it.

Offline dosetek

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2004, 03:40 »
I'm wanting a job that requries you to have a security clearance, I was wanting to know I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy 3 1/2 years ago and still have a year and half to pay on it, will it keep me from getting a security clearance ???

I had a chapter 13 bankruptcy while in this business, which was 5 years of payments and paid in full in 2000. It never effected my security clearance, i did however have to list it. Talking to friends of mine that do clearances it depends entirely on what else you have on your plate. For instance, any dui, or arrest records etc. If you are clean then you shouldn't have any problems.

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2004, 01:12 »
Financial issues such as poor credit and bankruptcies are only one aspect of determining the trustworthyness of an individual seeking access.  It is not a good sign, but what access coordinators look at is the big picture, and filing chapter 13 instead of chapter 7 is certainly a good sign.  I am sure if that is one of the few negatives in your Personal History Questionaire, you will have no problem getting a clearance.

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2004, 08:25 »
Hi, :)

I currently work in Nuclear Security as an Armed Nuclear Security Officer at Clinton Power Station in Clinton , IL ...  ;) We have had to go through a whole renewal of security background checks since 9/11 occured  :-\  They redid all of our background checks, fingerprints, MMPI phycological test, fincial checks, and your basic all around background checks. :-\  Financial background is a small part of the whole picture and to be honest about it, I can count on my fingers how many "Securit Officers" that have had to file Banruptcy with the economy and medical expenses what they are today it isn't unheard of. So I wouldn't put to much worry in the financial check :-*  Now that is only my experience in a Nuclear Power Plant. That dosn't speak for DOE sites I do not know how they do their checks or what their requirements acually are. Hope I help ya and GOOD LUCK  8)  

Offline Brigrat

• Moderate User
  • Go Chargers!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2004, 09:19 »
Tina is dead on, they look at the whole picture, not just one element.  Full disclosure is the key, so be honest, and don't worry.

Welcome to the board Tina!  There aren't a lot of us Security Folks around here, but we are getting stronger.

CubsGal56

« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2005, 03:55 »
I submitted the completed paperwork for my IRS MBI security clearance on 12/08/04. I filed for bankruptcy in August of 1999. I was sweating out the entire process, as my job depended on this security clearance. No one near to me knew about my bankruptcy and I lost countless nights of sleep worrying about it. This position was a tremendous promotion from my previous job in the company. For three Fridays in a row, in January, I received emails stating my packet was missing the I-9 form. I faxed an email the form each time it was asked. The first Friday in February I was asked for the same form again. Again, I faxed and emailed the form. Just last week I received an email stating I was granted Interim Approval. It does not appear the bankruptcy affected my clearance, although since the bankruptcy in 1999, I did not have even one late payment and was working to increase my credit score. I had even paid $325 as a retainter to an attorney who specializes in security clearances, in case I was denied.  Although I had already submitted my packet long before I spoke with him, he had excellent advice. After a lengthy telephone conversation, he gave me a detailed list of documents I would need to secure to send as an addendum to my packet. I was lucky...very lucky...and took my chances, using the retainer as my 'insurance policy'.

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2005, 07:17 »
The most important thing on your security clearance is to be honest and forthcoming.  They are looking for a lot of things:  Can someone use something in your history to blackmail you?  Are you likely to take bribes for sensitive information?  If you are truthful to the investigators about what is in your past you show you don't have anything to hide.  If they find out "the hard way", it might not go over so well.  Too many people with clearances have bankruptcies, DUIs, etc.  In the case of clearances - honesty is the best policy.  Good luck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?