Career Path > Security, FFD

Security clearance question

(1/2) > >>

mclain69:
I'm wanting a job that requries you to have a security clearance, I was wanting to know I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy 3 1/2 years ago and still have a year and half to pay on it, will it keep me from getting a security clearance ???

Crazy Cooter:
disclaimer: I'm no expert, but based on my research the DoD, DOE & PowerPlants have different criteria.  Here's a link for the DoD's view on financial matters regarding security clearance: http://www.dss.mil/nf/adr/finance/finanF.htm

"Significance of Bankruptcy: The significance of bankruptcy depends upon the cause of the bankruptcy. If subject was not at fault for the financial problems, bankruptcy may be an appropriate solution. If bankruptcy was due to financial irresponsibility and there has been no change in behavior or lifestyle, or if financial irresponsibility has continued thereafter, it is a very serious concern. The credit report covering the period after the bankruptcy may contain clues to the subject’s post-bankruptcy behavior. If debts again build to the maximum of the available credit, this suggests continuing financial irresponsibility.

Filing for bankruptcy under Chapter 13 rather than Chapter 7 may be a positive indicator, as it shows a serious commitment to repay debt."

That's a blurb from the above page.  I have no info as to how the DOE looks at it.

dosetek:

--- Quote from: mclain69 on Jul 20, 2004, 02:24 ---I'm wanting a job that requries you to have a security clearance, I was wanting to know I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy 3 1/2 years ago and still have a year and half to pay on it, will it keep me from getting a security clearance ???

--- End quote ---

I had a chapter 13 bankruptcy while in this business, which was 5 years of payments and paid in full in 2000. It never effected my security clearance, i did however have to list it. Talking to friends of mine that do clearances it depends entirely on what else you have on your plate. For instance, any dui, or arrest records etc. If you are clean then you shouldn't have any problems.

Brigrat:
Financial issues such as poor credit and bankruptcies are only one aspect of determining the trustworthyness of an individual seeking access.  It is not a good sign, but what access coordinators look at is the big picture, and filing chapter 13 instead of chapter 7 is certainly a good sign.  I am sure if that is one of the few negatives in your Personal History Questionaire, you will have no problem getting a clearance.

Tina:
Hi, :)

I currently work in Nuclear Security as an Armed Nuclear Security Officer at Clinton Power Station in Clinton , IL ...  ;) We have had to go through a whole renewal of security background checks since 9/11 occured  :-\  They redid all of our background checks, fingerprints, MMPI phycological test, fincial checks, and your basic all around background checks. :-\  Financial background is a small part of the whole picture and to be honest about it, I can count on my fingers how many "Securit Officers" that have had to file Banruptcy with the economy and medical expenses what they are today it isn't unheard of. So I wouldn't put to much worry in the financial check :-*  Now that is only my experience in a Nuclear Power Plant. That dosn't speak for DOE sites I do not know how they do their checks or what their requirements acually are. Hope I help ya and GOOD LUCK  8)  

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version