Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ((Advice if you please)) :))

Author Topic: ((Advice if you please)) :))  (Read 11812 times)

JazSusana1717

((Advice if you please)) :))
« on: Aug 02, 2010, 01:47 »
Hello.
This is the first time i have tried a forum so i am not positive if i am doing this right :)) I signed a contract in March with the U.S. Navy with a job in the nuclear power program...I am extremely excited about the challenge. I do not leave until january 19th of 2011 so i am trying get as prepared as possible. I have an associates degree but while i wait i have decided to take a couple courses this semester while i wait. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what courses would be most beneficial for me.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: ((Advice if you please)) :))
« Reply #1 on: Aug 05, 2010, 10:11 »
Chemistry/Physics, calc based (if you haven't already taken them) if you want to get an Engineering degree.

IPREGEN

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2010, 08:33 »
Rent and watch "Full Metal Jacket" then be glad you did not join the Marines. Just kidding.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2010, 08:15 »
Since you have approx 4 months left, and you obviously have some free time, I personally would concentrate on some other things.
1.  Spend quality time with friends and family, and make some good memories to hold you through the hard times
2.  Pick up a copy of the blue jackets manual (or look on the internet) and memorize the general orders of the sentry, Navy and other service ranks and insignia, and if you still have free time, do some math review.  Quite honestly though, the Navy will teach you all the math you will need for the job you are about to do.**
3.  Go run.  Get yourself in shape, if your not used to (I wasn't) the PT can be brutal.
4.  If possible, as the weather gets colder, try to acclimate yourself.  January at Great Lakes can be harsh.

Hope this helps, and Have a day ;D
-Matt
**Not to disparage the advice others have given about material to study, just my opinion that the time might be better spent concentrating on other aspects that you may not have been exposed to yet.  I assume that with your Associates degree, you have already received some higher level math instruction, and the Navy stuff doesn't get much above entry level calculus.  Most of it is basic algebra, physics math, and conversions.
« Last Edit: Aug 07, 2010, 12:02 by crusemm »
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

haverty

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2010, 09:45 »
Learning math the civilian way is a waste of time. You can go in there with 3rd grade math knowledge... as long as you have the aptitude you will be just fine. No point sweating out the program, enjoy your little remaining time with friends and family, lord knows and god willing you become a nuke, you wont have much time for that in the fleet.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2010, 10:53 »
Learning math the civilian way is a waste of time. You can go in there with 3rd grade math knowledge...

Completely bad advice. Thanks for playing!   :->

haverty

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2010, 07:40 »
Completely bad advice. Thanks for playing!   :->

Interesting... I managed to get a 3.97 in a school and a 3.75 in power school from my background of alg 2 that I hadn't taken in literally 5 years... how did that work???

This guy is better off getting his ducks in a row vs cramming useless knowledge in his head.

Sun Dog

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2010, 11:44 »
apparently the emoticons are not working,... :P :P :P :P :P

Some folks cannot look past their cornea unless they are facing a mirror.

co60slr

« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2010, 02:30 »
Interesting... I managed to get a 3.97 in a school and a 3.75 in power school from my background of alg 2 that I hadn't taken in literally 5 years... how did that work???
Do all people have the same proficiency in Math....before/during/5 years after any course?

It's hard for ANY of us to give specific advice to an anonymous Internet poster.  However, given ALL of our replies, the OP has something to think about.  Thus, I think our job is successfully done.

However, I know many nukes that aren't satisfied with Algebra II and the lack of technical education.  Hindsight 20/20, I should have taken as many college courses until I started Boot Camp, vice finally having time to do it 10 years later.   Besides, from the handful of phone calls/emails I've received from parents for their young nuke candidates is that they're partying and playing video games...not visiting relatives and aunts, or reading anything.   

Bottom line:  don't waste away in DEP.  Do something.  All above are good ideas.  I assume the recruiters are training/teaching about Navy PRT standards, but that's a good starting point offered by CruiseMM.  I've seen people become an "attrition statistic" because they can't run 1.5 miles in less than 20 minutes.  Hence, all this advice is a waste of their time.

Co60

JazSusana1717

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2010, 07:01 »
Thank you for all the advice. I think i am going to get some books that may pertain to my future and read up. I am pretty physically fit but am working on getting ready for a triathlon in September so I am trying my best to take care of the physical aspect. Thank you for the ideas about the bluejacket manual ((which I will def get and start to look at)) && the general orders and such I have already begun but will focus on more. Thanks for the advice :)) this entire site has been a real help :)) thank you

haverty

« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2010, 01:58 »
Do all people have the same proficiency in Math....before/during/5 years after any course?

It's hard for ANY of us to give specific advice to an anonymous Internet poster.  However, given ALL of our replies, the OP has something to think about.  Thus, I think our job is successfully done.

However, I know many nukes that aren't satisfied with Algebra II and the lack of technical education.  Hindsight 20/20, I should have taken as many college courses until I started Boot Camp, vice finally having time to do it 10 years later.   Besides, from the handful of phone calls/emails I've received from parents for their young nuke candidates is that they're partying and playing video games...not visiting relatives and aunts, or reading anything.   

Bottom line:  don't waste away in DEP.  Do something.  All above are good ideas.  I assume the recruiters are training/teaching about Navy PRT standards, but that's a good starting point offered by CruiseMM.  I've seen people become an "attrition statistic" because they can't run 1.5 miles in less than 20 minutes.  Hence, all this advice is a waste of their time.

Co60

Fair enough. I was in dep for 13 months, and I wasted it getting drunk off my ass all the time. I should have been getting my ducks in a row. However, you can't say last minute cramming is going to help... He wont even scratch the surface and will just be wasting his time. Ultimately his choice. Studying general orders in your spare time is probably not a bad idea though :)

I was actually using my cell phone which didnt display emoticons O.o sorry if I missed a joke somewhere.

Offline Jimmykroffa

• Light User
  • Nuclear Operator
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2010, 04:52 »
you did, but that's alright,...it's just an internet forum you know ;-)
Nice!

Donovan1687

« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2010, 10:29 »
I also have an A.A. and thought about taking more classes before leaving for boot camp. I'll give you my experience and maybe you'll be able to use it. 

I spent time with my family and friends. Once I made it to boot camp I realized how happy I was that I spent every waking hour (when not at work)  with my daughter and wife, not in a classroom. Everything I've faced so far (granted, I'm only a third of the way through the pipeline.) has been about personal motivation. I have pride in my work, self discipline, and my family. I worked hard to build upon those things, and I feel it has helped me tremendously.

Those that have failed out here, so far, have been the ones lacking in motivation. My advice would be to find what motivates you most and work to strengthen it, because if you lack in natural ability it will almost certainly be made up for by hard work. If you make up your mind to take classes, which I do feel is a great idea, simply take the things that will help you advance toward the degree you want to achieve in the future. If you take a bunch of high level math and physics thinking it will get you ahead, you'll be disappointed when you get to A school. It's not complicated stuff, its simply thrown at you quickly. I'm no bright star (and I was a psychology major in college to boot) and I made a 3.7 in the math portion of A school. Its not difficult if you put the time in.

Good luck in making your decision. 

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 08, 2010, 10:42 »
I also have an A.A. and thought about taking more classes before leaving for boot camp. I'll give you my experience and maybe you'll be able to use it. 

I spent time with my family and friends. Once I made it to boot camp I realized how happy I was that I spent every waking hour (when not at work)  with my daughter and wife, not in a classroom. Everything I've faced so far (granted, I'm only a third of the way through the pipeline.) has been about personal motivation. I have pride in my work, self discipline, and my family. I worked hard to build upon those things, and I feel it has helped me tremendously.

Those that have failed out here, so far, have been the ones lacking in motivation. My advice would be to find what motivates you most and work to strengthen it, because if you lack in natural ability it will almost certainly be made up for by hard work. If you make up your mind to take classes, which I do feel is a great idea, simply take the things that will help you advance toward the degree you want to achieve in the future. If you take a bunch of high level math and physics thinking it will get you ahead, you'll be disappointed when you get to A school. It's not complicated stuff, its simply thrown at you quickly. I'm no bright star (and I was a psychology major in college to boot) and I made a 3.7 in the math portion of A school. Its not difficult if you put the time in.

Any opposition to this?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #14 on: Aug 08, 2010, 11:02 »
Any opposition to this?

3rd paragraph worth its weight in gold!

haverty

« Reply #15 on: Aug 08, 2010, 11:11 »

beautiful :)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 08, 2010, 11:30 »
3rd paragraph worth its weight in gold!
I agree; I just want to here an alternate view, if there is one.  8)

co60slr

« Reply #17 on: Aug 08, 2010, 11:36 »
I agree; I just want to here an alternate view, if there is one.  8)
"I put in the time yhat was needed, and I succeeded".

In engineering/operations, it's hard to argue with cold/hard facts.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2010, 07:57 »

Those that have failed out here, so far, have been the ones lacking in motivation. My advice would be to find what motivates you most and work to strengthen it, because if you lack in natural ability it will almost certainly be made up for by hard work. If you make up your mind to take classes, which I do feel is a great idea, simply take the things that will help you advance toward the degree you want to achieve in the future.
INCOMPETENCE
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."   ;)  (From despair.com)
Sorry couldn't help it.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

haverty

« Reply #19 on: Aug 11, 2010, 10:59 »
INCOMPETENCE
"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do."   ;)  (From despair.com)
Sorry couldn't help it.

haha that's pretty funny :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?