Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 10 yr. EM1(SS) getting out in a year seeking knowledge

Author Topic: 10 yr. EM1(SS) getting out in a year seeking knowledge  (Read 6747 times)

Offline TJG

• Lurker
Hello,
     I have been a lurker on the forum for about six months now and decided it was time to post.  I know that some of my questions have been addressed but I wanted to consolidate them and maybe make some contacts.  So, after that disclaimer, here it goes:  I qualified EWS/EDPO and was LPO on the boat, and am now qualified MTS as well.  I have no degree and will not be able to get one before I get out.  I am interested in obtaining a NLO position at Crystal River in FL.  I have read that I may qualify for a DSRO position at some plants as well.  I also would not be against being a maintenance tech.  I have also read to not narrow my search to one plant, so I am planning on applying to everything in the Southeast Region. 

Questions:

1.  NLO vs. DSRO?  I have seen some of the discussions, but if offered a DSRO position, would I be stupid to not take it?

2.  Should I contact HR departments and submit my resume to companies that are not actively advertising jobs on their sites? (i.e. Progress Energy for Crystal River)

3.  How can I find out class convenings for DSRO or NLO so I can see who will be hiring at the time I am separating?

4.  How soon is too soon to start applying?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
Re: 10 yr. EM1(SS) getting out in a year seeking knowledge
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2010, 07:01 »
Questions:

1.  NLO vs. DSRO?  I have seen some of the discussions, but if offered a DSRO position, would I be stupid to not take it?

2.  Should I contact HR departments and submit my resume to companies that are not actively advertising jobs on their sites? (i.e. Progress Energy for Crystal River)

3.  How can I find out class convenings for DSRO or NLO so I can see who will be hiring at the time I am separating?

4.  How soon is too soon to start applying?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tim
I will do my best to answer the questions that I can based upon my recent job search.
1.  If offered two jobs, take the one you think you would like best.  There are advantages/disadvantages to both, so weigh the factors (location, benefits, pay, etc.) and pick one.  Otherwise, take whatever is offered.
2.  You can try contacting HR departments, but I had no luck with that.  I had limited success contacting company recruiters through nukeworker ( http://www.nukeworker.com/job/list_companies.php - at least those e-mails got answered, the e-mails and phone calls to HR got no results)
3. See two above, or e-mail someone from nukeworker that works at those sites, try LinkedIn, or if you know anyone that works at any of those sites, call or e-mail them.
4. Last year

Hope this helped!!
have a day
-Matt ;D
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline TJG

• Lurker
Re: 10 yr. EM1(SS) getting out in a year seeking knowledge
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2010, 08:53 »
Thanks for all of your help.  I did see those postings on their web site.  However, they said the openings were for the new plants at Levy County, which I believe is on hold right now.  I will sign to have their job openings emailed to me.  Thanks again.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?