Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu TVA Chem/Rad Tech position honeypot

Author Topic: TVA Chem/Rad Tech position  (Read 5485 times)

TN_LELT

TVA Chem/Rad Tech position
« on: Jul 28, 2010, 11:05 »
Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding TVA hiring practices, and how they may relate to a position I recently applied to with the NPG.  TVA recently posted a position for an experienced (B level) Chemistry/ Radiological Technician at SQN, and I applied to this position.  My prior work experience in this field is 6 years in the Navy as an ELT (was the LELT when I got out) and work at a R&D radiochemistry lab since my departure from the canoe club.  My educational background consists of a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering Technology and coursework toward an M.S. in Engineering Management which I will finish this fall.  Does TVA consider this type of background as meeting the requirements of an entry level (A level) CRC technician, therefore making me realistically eligible for the position which I applied?  Or would I have to have experience in a commercial power plant in order to satisfy these requirements and be eligible for an experienced (B level) position?

While I do enjoy my current position in the radiochem lab, I am really interested in getting back into nuclear power (in any capacity really, though the Chem/Rad Tech seemed a logical way to pursue this end given my background).  As I am a Tennessee native and current resident, my obvious preference is trying to get on with TVA.  If anyone has any information that they would be willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance.

Offline rumrunner

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: TVA Chem/Rad Tech position
« Reply #1 on: Jul 30, 2010, 02:39 »
I'd have to see the VPA and the minimum requirements listed on it.  The degree certainly makes you qualified for A level entry, along with your experience.  Often, B level will have a requirement for X number of years at a commercial nuclear power plant "or equivalent", which frankly is quite discretionary and up to the hiring manager and human resources.  At least when I was with TVA - I retired in 2008 as an RP supervisor - TVA didn't put much stock in being a former ELT when it came to chemistry hiring.  We did hire RP technicians out of the Navy at the B level.  The job description for Chemistry/Radiological Technician has been around for years but I never knew anyone who filled it.  We didn't have any at Browns Ferry.  Which department was listed on the VPA?
Dave

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?