Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question on the POSS test honeypot

Author Topic: Question on the POSS test  (Read 8262 times)

j21blackjack

Question on the POSS test
« on: Jul 31, 2010, 12:24 »
I was just looking at the POSS practice test linked to in another topic.  My question is, is the POSS test as easy as the practice test?  It closely resembles the military's ASVAB type of test.  Is the actual POSS test harder than practice?  I am getting out of the Navy in January after 10 1/2 years as an electrician on subs, and I just applied for two AO positions, I'm really hoping I have a good chance to get hired.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Question on the POSS test
« Reply #1 on: Jul 31, 2010, 12:57 »
I was just looking at the POSS practice test linked to in another topic.  My question is, is the POSS test as easy as the practice test?  It closely resembles the military's ASVAB type of test.  Is the actual POSS test harder than practice?  I am getting out of the Navy in January after 10 1/2 years as an electrician on subs, and I just applied for two AO positions, I'm really hoping I have a good chance to get hired.

Yes, the real test IS harder than the practice test.

Practice ASVAB study guides for a couple of weeks prior to your POSS (just to get in 'test-mode') and you'll do fine...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,250.0.html
« Last Edit: Jul 31, 2010, 01:04 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Fremont

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:08 »
There is a practice POSS test package available for, I think, $20. Google POSS test book. I've seen it, and it looks pretty close to the real thing.
And no, it's not my site and I have no financial interest in it. Good question, though.  ;)

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:47 »
I found an excellent online version. Forgot the website. I BELIEVE it's a link from Firstenergy.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2010, 09:50 »
As has been mentioned many times previously in other posts [Search Please] make sure that you time yourself taking the test.  The POSS as a whole is not hard.  However, it is the timed aspect that makes it so difficult.  Answering 50 basic algebra questions, or the conversions, in half an hour is no sweat.  Doing it in 5 minutes is very hard.  When practicing, time yourself.  If you use one of the ASVAB books that has more than one test in it, do the first test quickly and methodically and time yourself.  For every subsequent test take an additional 10% off of your time for that first test.  Only do the applicable sections.  To make yourself more familiar with the spatial problems, there are books with some of those.
Hope this helps :P  and as always, have a fine [nuke] day.
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:16 »
I found an excellent online version. Forgot the website. I BELIEVE it's a link from Firstenergy.

http://www.firstenergycorp.com/career_center/technical_training/eei/index.html

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?