Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I am a Junior RP

Author Topic: I am a Junior RP  (Read 20790 times)

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
I am a Junior RP
« on: Aug 02, 2010, 02:08 »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted some thoughts. I am kinda confused on the idea that everyone is looking for Sr. RPs and not giving the juniors much work to accelerate them to becoming Srs. I have around 4 months to become an 18.1 and it increasingly harder to find work. I have applied for every Jr. job out there with hardly any luck. I have only one outage this fall even. I need a break.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: I am a Junior RP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 02, 2010, 02:16 »
Don't feel too bad as there are a lot of Sr. Techs that will only be able to work one outage this fall due to the schedues overlapping.

Even 30+ years ago it was tough to get positions as Jr. Techs.

Hang in there and keep checking ALL the job options.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 02, 2010, 02:49 »
 :) :) :) HaHa That's funny Marssim.

diliigaf

« Reply #3 on: Aug 02, 2010, 02:56 »
 8) Marssim, you are to cynical... Don't you remember how difficult it wuz when ewe were a jr???  Oh that's write ewe came out of the Navy a Sr. ;D 8) ::)   Peace...

I’m a junior RP and I can’t get no time,
I go to the body shops, I beg and cry and whine,
All I wants a chance,
 Just to prove what I can do,
I could work for them,
 Or I could work for you,
Can’t you help a brother out?
All I needs a break,
Can’t you help a sister out?
I swear I’m not a flake,
I went to school and made the grades,
I passed a million tests,
I’ll work the north, I’ll work the south,
I’ll even work the west,
I want to be a senior,
I want it so dam bad,
I’m willing to do anything,
I’ll even call you Dad.

Yeah, I know that didn't get you a job, but perhaps you can smile a moment or two before you click away,...... [karma] [karma] [karma] [karma] [karma] [karma] [karma] [karma]

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2010, 03:22 »
Someone told me once a long time ago that I had it made.  Didn't ever have to be a Jr, just came out of the Navy as a Sr.  That's when I explained to him that he made 18.1 in 2 years.  For 6 years I had been a junior in the Navy, slithering around the bilges on field day cleaning up.  Wasn't always a party.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

diliigaf

« Reply #5 on: Aug 02, 2010, 04:27 »
      Dirty Murty???, that's to funny he and I tought  each other a few things (legal and not)...  ??? More not  ???  ::) 8)
Ahhhh no way dude!,...I came out of the Navy/Shipyard a rootin, tootin, super shootin, mofoin' radcon shift supervisin' baaaaaaaaadass!!!!!!

then I met Tom Murdy,..... [spank]

eventually I got better,...and learned something,.... 8)
;D

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Aug 02, 2010, 04:39 »
You guys are definately rps. We are one of a kind.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #7 on: Aug 02, 2010, 05:59 »
8) Marssim, you are to cynical... Don't you remember how difficult it wuz when ewe were a jr???  Oh that's write ewe came out of the Navy a Sr. ;D 8) ::)   Peace...

SloGlo? is that you??
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2010, 08:05 »

then I met Tom Murdy,..... [spank]

That'd set anyone back a year or two.... I miss dirty murdy.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2010, 08:24 »
Here is your break.  Now suck it up and go work at the Creek.

Exelon is currently looking for a Radiation Support Technician at our Oyster Creek Generating Station located in Forked River, NJ.

This position is an entry position that requires progression through all training levels to become a fully qualified Radiological Controls Technician.

Sucked up. Put in for it already. Thanks. You don't think I have my resume in with every place hiring out there. Sorry to sound like a smart..........I posted this to hear peoples thoughts on why they don't give Jrs more time so they can have more Srs.

amn7382

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2010, 01:08 »
Hey man, I know its tough being a Jr. HP/RP in this industry and trying to find these jobs are very difficult. When I was a tech with Exelon after being with Bartlett a few years as a Jr. HP. I asked this very question to many of my supervisors and managers and the answer was the budget. They only get allotted so many slots for Sr. Techs and maybe 10 spots for Jr Techs to bring in on any given outage. I tried explaining to them that Exelon and the industry needs to start to bring in more Jr techs in order to replenish the industry. They all agreed with me but basically their hands were tied because they need a certain amount of Sr techs to fulfill the requirements unfortunately. Thats prolly your best answer as to why.

I am now a HP/RP supervisor at Susquehanna and one thing I am trying to do is work with our site along with portraying it industry wide, is that many of the house techs and contractor techs in our industry are older and will soon be retiring from the industry and it will take anywhere from 3 years to 6 years depending on if your a house tech or a contractor tech in order to hit your ANSI 3.1 Sr. Technician mark, so we need to start hiring more permanently and bring in more Jr techs for the outages. Currently we just hired 7 new entry level Jr. Techs here and I think the plan is the same next year or the following. If your interested in getting in with Exelon as a house tech, let me know and I'll give you my email to get in touch with me. I have several contacts within the Exelon East loop that I can talk to. No guarantees but willing to try.   

diliigaf

« Reply #11 on: Aug 03, 2010, 08:33 »

For some it set you back :( (damn near a life time)... :-X ??? ;D

That'd set anyone back a year or two.... I miss dirty murdy.... ;)
:(

diliigaf

« Reply #12 on: Aug 03, 2010, 08:41 »
You guys are definately rps. We are one of a kind.

Steve I sent you a PM read it and get back with me if you want work and time...   Peace 8)

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 04, 2010, 01:19 »
...if you prefer Tennessee over New Jersey (and who wouldn't?) here is yet another opportunity for Juniors...

Performance Strategies, Inc., an EnergySolutions Company is seeking qualified ANSI 3.1, 18.1 and Jr. HP Technicians for future openings. Start dates and compensation to be determined upon acceptance of positions. Positions may be long term assignments to support EnergySolutions projects.

Can shoot me a link?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Aug 04, 2010, 01:49 »
Can shoot me a link?

It's right on the home page of NukeWorker.com.  Don't you look at the job openings here???  I would think that you would read every job opening carefully, and applied to each one.

Here is a link for those too lazy to click on the home page link:

Health & Safety» HP Technician  by Energy Solutions Aug 4

Granted, they posted it in the wrong job category.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 04, 2010, 01:55 »

Granted, they posted it in the wrong job category.

Thats why I didn't get in my email. I get them all sent to my email and don't have to look at the homepage. But I guess I will for now on. Thanks!!!! I have applied to everything out there, I think.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 04, 2010, 01:57 »
     Steve I sent you a PM read it and get back with me if you want work and time...   Peace 8)

I was hoping for a reply. Did you get my PM? Thanks man.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Aug 04, 2010, 02:57 »
I was hoping for a reply. Did you get my PM? Thanks man.

Name:     dilligaf
Last Active:    Yesterday at 08:41

He hasn't logged on today.

kbaxendale

« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2010, 05:17 »
Here is a new one, I am in the same boat as you. Good luck in your search.

http://areva.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Aug 05, 2010, 06:29 »
www.tva.gov
Sequoyah has posted 3 jr. slots.

kbaxendale

« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:21 »

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2010, 07:39 »
The link didn't work but I seen what your talking and no thats not it.

https://jobs.tva.com/pljb/global_jsp/applicant/DisplayJob/JobDetails.jsp?display=1&pljbHome=/tva/external/applicant/index.jsp&id=5672

Health Physics Technician (NUC)

kbaxendale

« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2010, 09:17 »
http://www.nucleartourist.com/us/address.htm

This is the website I use, it has all the plant and companies that operate them. I just go through once a day and look at all the career sections.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2010, 11:15 »
http://www.nucleartourist.com/us/address.htm

This is the website I use, it has all the plant and companies that operate them. I just go through once a day and look at all the career sections.

wow thats cool. Thanks

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Aug 24, 2010, 01:52 »
Well applied to a couple of jobs at Entergy plants.  Can't wait for Oct. I'm looking forward to going back to work. I love it. [dowave]

HeatherB.

« Reply #25 on: Aug 24, 2010, 08:52 »
Looking very forward to getting back on the outage bandwagon @ Beaver Valley. Ready to see some BV friends, get some more hours under my belt (I'm halfway there... *sigh), and enjoying some Midway Wings & LuAnne's $1.99 breakfast.

Hope it's a good fall for everyone! [GH]

Stix

« Reply #26 on: Sep 12, 2010, 02:24 »
Callaway has about 5 chemistry techs that can retire by February, a few RP techs too.  Just because they CAN retire, doesn't mean they WILL retire.   :old:  If any of our RadChem Helpers (RCH) meet the ANSI time requirements, or will by the time they complete the training, could possibly move up opening a spot that a Junior can fill.  If the postings go directly to the outside they want the SR tech, but again if you are close in the ansi time where you would meet the requirement during your training, they could consider you.

Unfortuneately at this time there is hiring freeze, but watch for jobs on https://erecruit.ameren.com/eRecruit/jobs.html search the location of Fulton, MO.  If these retirements happen, there may be something that opens up later this year or early next year.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?