Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Elites, err ELT's

Author Topic: Elites, err ELT's  (Read 40126 times)

Offline Fadge

• Light User
Elites, err ELT's
« on: Aug 09, 2010, 03:13 »
Hey everyone,

I am a Dep'er shipping out Apr 11, 2011 and I have been researching about ELT's and can only find limited information on them. From what I have read they are more Chem/Radiation Controllers and work in a lab.

So from that info I also heard you have to volunteer as an MM. Now when I went down to MEPS my Nuke Coordinator told me that I would most likely get the MM rate because they are always in need of Mechanics.

Now what I want to know is a little bit more about the duties of ELT's compared to the other rates. And also what are the chances of me becoming and ELT from and MM. I have been reading some older posts about the need for ELT's and how the selection has become significantly easier than it was prior. And my Nuke coordinator said that most of the MM's that volunteer to become an ELT do in fact become one if they qualify.

Could anyone also tell me what I would need to qualify to become an ELT.

Thanks.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Elites, err ELT's
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2010, 03:21 »
   It was one in ten to one in twenty at one time. I think your recruiter has embellished the truth a bit on your chances of getting an ELT billet.  :->

ELTs on "targets" (surface skimming vessels) may spend more time in the lab but on a sub ELT is just a collateral duty (though a highly elevated and exalted one  [king] ), you will be a mechanic/plant operator first.

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2010, 03:48 »
Yes, my research has been perusing the forums and minor talks with my nuke coordinator.

Offline Abiien

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 09, 2010, 10:26 »
A little side note:

I wouldn't believe that you will 'most likely' get MM if you pick it. It's mostly about needs of the Navy. Don't be surprised if you get picked for ET or EM. Make sure you look into the base rate before you choose something specific, which is only for MM's really... If you really want to be an MM and work inside the plant, or sit a desk watching lights and turning things as an ET, or fixing the Coffee Pot, don't be surprised if you don't get it. A lot of people have been upset before, and they aren't going to change how they pick jobs for new guys any time soon.

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2010, 10:42 »
ETs fix the coffee?

I want to be an ET.  8)

withroaj

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2010, 10:57 »
I'd like to say that I was selected as an ELT for my outstanding abilities as a prototype student, but I'm pretty sure it boiled down to networking ability and social skills (not the facebook/twitter kind, but the face-to-face kind).  I'm pretty sure some smarter guys got passed up for the job, and I know damn well that some real rocks have gone on to qualify ELT in the fleet; but we sure are a charming bunch.

It makes sense when you think about it, though.  The Mk 1, Mod 0 3356/3386 run-of-the-mill ELT is responsible for reactor plant and secondary (and even tertiary -- that's right, I said tertiary) system chemistry, and also radiological controls.  A real ELT can communicate chemical and radiological conditions in a manner that makes a massive problem into a quick fixer-upper.  Our job is to have a plan with an approved procedure to give our chains-of-command a warm fuzzy when the poo hits the fan.  We already have the answer before the question gets asked.  If we obtain abnormal results we don't let supervision point them out to us, we bring them to our supervision with our plan of attack.

On the sub we were mechanics who had to control chemistry, perform radiological surveys and cover radiological work (though we didn't really have to get dirty with all of the M-div work, it just came with the job on a 688 -- not enough guys to have people hold out). 

On the carrier...  Well, on the carrier...  We... We generate a TON of paperwork.  We still have the chemistry and radcon, but somehow we go through REAMS of paper each week.  From a supervisory perspective I can justify a lot of it, but it feels like we do a whole lot of justification for a modest amount of actual work.  We actually have almost as many office/supervisory positions on the carrier as we have plant workers.  By the way, there is a distinction between office folk and plant folk.  It still leaves a funny taste in my mouth, but somehow I justify my paycheck working an office job on a ship at sea.  I actually had to ask to get put on a watch rotation because I was going to be left with only a day job... at sea... to handle my administrative functions.  Long story short, life as a surface ELT can get boring if you don't keep busy.

I'm looking forward to qualifying PPWS and transferring to the golden palace in Goose Creek.  I'm not sure there's any more sea duty in the cards for me.

EDIT:  Now that I think about it, facebook was a college project and twitter didn't exist when I was in prototype.  Weird.  Maybe I have been in for a while.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2010, 10:59 by withroaj »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2010, 06:50 »
EDIT:  Now that I think about it, facebook was a college project and twitter didn't exist when I was in prototype.  Weird.  Maybe I have been in for a while.

Nah.....

When I first came in, we didn't even have cell phones....or email. :D

BTW..good to see you back on here.  +K to you
« Last Edit: Aug 10, 2010, 06:52 by Gamecock »
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2010, 06:59 »
Try no computers, calculators were brand new and too expensive for even the basic functions ($400 for what is now on a watch or ruler for a couple of bucks). Slide rules and hand calculations for everything at Nuke school.

It went nicely with the Teak submarine hulls.  8)

Snail mail or land line. Woe is me! How did we survive?  :->

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2010, 07:46 »
Hey everyone,

I am a Dep'er shipping out Apr 11, 2011 and I have been researching about ELT's and can only find limited information on them. From what I have read they are more Chem/Radiation Controllers and work in a lab.

So from that info I also heard you have to volunteer as an MM. Now when I went down to MEPS my Nuke Coordinator told me that I would most likely get the MM rate because they are always in need of Mechanics.

Now what I want to know is a little bit more about the duties of ELT's compared to the other rates. And also what are the chances of me becoming and ELT from and MM. I have been reading some older posts about the need for ELT's and how the selection has become significantly easier than it was prior. And my Nuke coordinator said that most of the MM's that volunteer to become an ELT do in fact become one if they qualify.

Could anyone also tell me what I would need to qualify to become an ELT.

Thanks.

Be the first mechanic qualified at prototype and more than likely you will be selected for ELT. Seek out  your section's L-Div LPO. Let him know your desire of being an ELT and then go work your tail off. Don't suck up. We hate that. Once you qualify ELT, it will be like you are the most interesting man alive. Mechanics will outwardly hate you, but deep down they want to be like you. I'm pretty sure Chuck Norris was an ELT.

IPREGEN

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2010, 07:48 »
Back to the question, Most ELT's were born out of MM. WAYYY back they even included IC people. (Glenn Sawtelle was an IC/ELT for all you old timers.) Anyway the selections came during prototype when I was in. The staff at prototype made the picks. In my house we had five people, 3 became ELT's, one, a Stainless Steel welder and the 5th went to the fleet. I was on a surface ship, liberty came late while we did a lot of blowdowns for chemistry control long after the topsiders and others were experiencing the culture of our port stop. But, being an ELT is better than not being one. The only people that say different are the ones that WISH they could have been ELT's.

IPREGEN

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10, 2010, 07:50 »
I'm pretty sure Chuck Norris was an ELT.

Perfect

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:30 »
Back to the question, Most ELT's were born out of MM. WAYYY back they even included IC people. (Glenn Sawtelle was an IC/ELT for all you old timers.) Anyway the selections came during prototype when I was in. The staff at prototype made the picks. In my house we had five people, 3 became ELT's, one, a Stainless Steel welder and the 5th went to the fleet. I was on a surface ship, liberty came late while we did a lot of blowdowns for chemistry control long after the topsiders and others were experiencing the culture of our port stop. But, being an ELT is better than not being one. The only people that say different are the ones that WISH they could have been ELT's.

Go back a little further and the ELTs were Corpsmen.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Aug 10, 2010, 10:37 »
Yup, we've talked about that before, I knew one of 'em out here in CivLant;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17592.msg99499.html#msg99499

(you can tell Marlin's gettin' old, he's starting to repeat himself on internet forums,... :P)

Go back a little further and the ELTs were Corpsmen.

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2010, 12:49 »
Well I feel that I am going to shoot for MM, and EM as a fallout because I am willing to work my butt off to become and ELT.

withroaj

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2010, 01:42 »
I wouldn't recommend looking at any rate as a fallout.  I don't mean to be condescending when I say that, no matter what, you have no idea what you're getting in to.  Take whatever you get, and you'll find that each rate has its own arrogance and pride as a subset of the overall nuclear community arrogance.  Either you'll have fun as a nuke or not.  Or somewhere in between.  My advice is to have fun with it.

Offline KUrunner

• Moderate User
« Reply #15 on: Aug 10, 2010, 01:45 »
Make sure that you're willing to be a mechanic before you request MM (although, like several people have said, you don't really get much of a choice).  When I went through as a student, only two or three people from the whole class got picked up (with more than 25 people putting in applications).  Last cycle, I think 14 people were accepted (and I've heard that only 14 people applied.)  

Having good grades, qualifying early and the staff liking you will help your odds, but at the end of the day, it's all about the needs of the Navy.  
The first rule of thermodynamics is you don't talk about thermodynamics.

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 10, 2010, 01:52 »
It isn't really a fallout more like a second choice.  ;)

co60slr

« Reply #17 on: Aug 10, 2010, 02:43 »
Well I feel that I am going to shoot for MM, and EM as a fallout because I am willing to work my butt off to become and ELT.
While this may be subsequently debated, in my own experience and in what I saw over the years...the Navy doesn't do a bad job of putting you in the right job.  (All debates on people not liking anything about the NNPP and leaving asap aside for the moment).   I'd love for someone in that RTC process to shed some light on their little black magic ball they use to decide this for people.   Overall, they're not going to put you into a job that has your lowest aptitude (ASVAB scores?).  I know of no secret formula...all I do know is that they seem to fit the right personality with the right job.

NPS/Prototype GPA.  When you ask for something in the Navy, you're standing in line with your peers according to your GPA (yes...with exceptions...there are always outliers).  Don't ask for additional academic training if your NPS/Prototype grade is "barely passing".  First task at hand, high GPA in NPS.
ELT.  Aside from wanting to ask what you know about what you're "willing to work you butt off" for, where do you see yourself with it in 8 years?  You're either looking to make E-7 or getting out and working Commercial.  There is no such thing as a "career ELT", who isn't struggling to get past E-6.   In order to promote, you have to do an M Div LCPO tour (this is a sticky point for those ELTs that never learned how to also be MMs).  Then you go on to an Engineering Dept. Master Chief tour where you're supervising everyone.  As you go up in rank, your rating tends to become more and more transparent.  Once you're the senior enlisted at your command (e.g., Chief of the Boat, Fleet Master Chief, etc)...your rating is all but gone in terms of your day-to-day job. 

The chemistry procedures by the way aren't chemistry experiments.  The analysis, procedures, reports, etc are all "follow the procedure exactly"...same procedures, using trained techniques, same thing, every day.  Highly technical?  Absolutely!  More fun than the EMs cleaning a motor generator after watch?  No doubt.  However, if being an ELT was the "greatest thing in the universe" than all the exELTs here would still be in the Navy.  (Ok guys, have fun with that...I'm out).  :-)

I'll admit, this is all somewhat lofty and perhaps too far down the road for you at this point; however, the Navy:Getting Out threads are filled with "ok, what do I do now?".  Regardless of your path, keep a future resume in mind as to what you want it to say one day.  Do what makes you happy....but if you go MM/ELT, make sure you're good at your job...both of them.

Co60

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Aug 10, 2010, 02:53 »

The chemistry procedures by the way aren't chemistry experiments.  The analysis, procedures, reports, etc are all "follow the procedure exactly"...same procedures, using trained techniques, same thing, every day.  Highly technical?  Absolutely!  More fun than the EMs cleaning a motor generator after watch?  No doubt.  However, if being an ELT was the "greatest thing in the universe" than all the exELTs here would still be in the Navy.  (Ok guys, have fun with that...I'm out).  :-)

Co60
Hey, I loved cleaning motor generators after watch!  Okay, that was a lie.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #19 on: Aug 10, 2010, 03:02 »
Hey, I loved cleaning motor generators after watch!  Okay, that was a lie.

Or pulling 16 cables of shore power covered in scheiss CHT effluent Pearl Harbor rainwater  >:(

gamma_ray

« Reply #20 on: Aug 11, 2010, 09:09 »
I got ELT by telling everyone every five minutes that I wanted to be an ELT and being a pretty good watchstander.  That, and the ELTs in my section said they thought I'd make a good drinking buddy.  There are no guarantees but make your preference known, do well in Chem/Radcon in the pipeline, don't p*ss anyone off, and maybe things will work out for you.  Volunteering for subs might help too.  Keep in mind the biggest driver is "needs of the Navy."  Good luck. 

haverty

« Reply #21 on: Aug 11, 2010, 11:09 »
I got ELT by telling everyone every five minutes that I wanted to be an ELT and being a pretty good watchstander.  That, and the ELTs in my section said they thought I'd make a good drinking buddy.  There are no guarantees but make your preference known, do well in Chem/Radcon in the pipeline, don't p*ss anyone off, and maybe things will work out for you.  Volunteering for subs might help too.  Keep in mind the biggest driver is "needs of the Navy."  Good luck. 

Lol, this is about as close to the truth as you are going to get. Some of the ELT's they picked up were... "questionable" (people with extremely low GPA, prior mastings, one got caught forging signatures, etc).

ELT is ELT... Everyone wants the job they can't have, yet once they get to their job, they begin to enjoy/defend it (i.e. "god I'm glad I didn't get picked up electrician", whereas many of the electricians say the same crap about mechanics lol. ELT's make the mistake of assuming they are "mechanics" from time to time. We step in to correct them as required ;)).

Do yourself a favor, don't "expect" anything. The navy will put you where you are needed, and there's very very little you can do to change that. No sense stressing about it. Too bad you won't get to prototype for a while, I'm friends with quite a few ELT's up in new york right now.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Aug 12, 2010, 12:36 »
Or pulling 16 cables of shore power covered in scheiss CHT effluent Pearl Harbor rainwater  >:(
Hey, on all of my boats Everyone pulled shore power cables covered in whatever (Rainwater, seagull effluent, SEAL slime).  Cardinal rule-NO ONE goes home until cables are across (except the CO to see his girlfriend, or the YN's with the "mail", or the radiomen with "message traffic".....) [jerry] [clap]
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #24 on: Jun 29, 2012, 12:19 »
Well I chose ET as my first choice at bootcamp and got it. So will not become an ELT unless they change something in the future. I am glad that I am an ET though.

Offline eaton1981

• Moderate User
« Reply #25 on: Jun 29, 2012, 02:11 »
Congrats! ET aint bad at all. Technically, NONE of the nuke ratings are bad (I was an EM myself). You going subs?

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Jun 29, 2012, 09:02 »
Be prepared to perform a glorified set of logs and then call it "maintenance".

Offline HighOctane23

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Jun 30, 2012, 12:01 »
I think the real question is which one of the 3 makes more money after the Navy? Ive asked that before and got 3 different answers each from someone with a different rate, lol. I guess that ones "up for debate."  ???

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Jun 30, 2012, 12:25 »
I think the real question is which one of the 3 makes more money after the Navy? Ive asked that before and got 3 different answers each from someone with a different rate, lol. I guess that ones "up for debate."  ???

They all get about equal.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: Jun 30, 2012, 09:24 »
Be prepared to perform a glorified set of logs and then call it "maintenance".

Well, for an Extremely Limited Trainee (ELT), that's purty good, doncha think?  :->

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:04 »
WELL as they say, If being an ELT was easy everyone would do it.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #31 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:18 »
WELL as they say, If being an ELT was easy everyone would do it.

My only regret about my naval career...........

I wasn't deemed good enough to be an ELT :(
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Fermi2

« Reply #32 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:34 »

My only regret about my naval career...........

I wasn't deemed good enough to be an ELT :(

That sarcasm is nowhere near the gratification I would get from the sniping my statement should cause!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:39 »
That sarcasm is nowhere near the gratification I would get from the sniping my statement should cause!

There won't be much sniping, most on NW have learned to select the "Broadzilla low-pass filter" switch to "Enable"  :P

Fermi2

« Reply #34 on: Jul 04, 2012, 08:55 »
The world will never be a truly happy place until ELT discrimination disappears.

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #35 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:16 »
The original version of Magnum, PI had Magnum failing ELT school and settling for Naval Intelligence. Sadly it was edited out of the pilot.

Fermi2

« Reply #36 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:38 »
The original version of Magnum, PI had Magnum failing ELT school and settling for Naval Intelligence. Sadly it was edited out of the pilot.

That is not an Urban Legend, that is the honest truth. Also, Jason Bourne drew a mean Primary Sample in his day too.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #37 on: Jul 05, 2012, 10:47 »

Although my Google search to verify that tale was inconclusive, Magnum P.I. as a failed ELT would fit into the story line pretty well: Here is a fairly intelligent handsome dude, always showing chest hair in his working outfit, bouncing from misadventure to misadventure with a bunch of sweaty dudes with fluffy feathered hairdos, a few failed romances just like Rock Hudson, then back to commiserate with a bunch of dudes who live in a big house and use a bunch of toys owned by some older unmarried non-dating dude.

Now observing metering crossover, and selecting CreepyMeter from Intermediate Range to Power Range...

What do TV shows “JAG,” “Magnum, P.I.,” “Quantum Leap,” and “NCIS” all have in common? (besides dudes that can't keep a girl and have fluffy feathered hairdos)
You guessed it: Penn State.

More specifically, they were all created and produced by Executive Producer Donald P. Bellisario, who completed his undergraduate degree in Journalism at Penn State, class of 1961. Bellisario was honored in 2001 as a Distinguished Alumnus, which is the highest honor given to a graduate whose ”personal lives, professional achievements, and community service exemplify the objectives of their alma mater.”

http://pennstatehomecoming.wordpress.com/tag/magnum-p-i/

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
« Reply #38 on: Jul 05, 2012, 11:25 »
Dave,
You really need to get out more. Seriously!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #39 on: Jul 05, 2012, 11:43 »
Although my Google search......

I'm not getting your point,... [coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #40 on: Jul 05, 2012, 11:52 »
......Also, Jason Bourne drew a mean Primary Sample in his day too.

It's why I never got a tattoo, when they tap you on the shoulder to answer the call of duty tattoos are an automatic disqualifier,...

I always wanted to be ready,.....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #41 on: Jul 05, 2012, 12:04 »
Although my Google search to verify that tale was inconclusive, Magnum P.I. as a failed ELT would fit into the story line pretty well: Here is a fairly intelligent handsome dude, always showing chest hair in his working outfit, bouncing from misadventure to misadventure with a bunch of sweaty dudes with fluffy feathered hairdos, a few failed romances just like Rock Hudson, then back to commiserate with a bunch of dudes who live in a big house and use a bunch of toys owned by some older unmarried non-dating dude.

Now observing metering crossover, and selecting CreepyMeter from Intermediate Range to Power Range...

What do TV shows “JAG,” “Magnum, P.I.,” “Quantum Leap,” and “NCIS” all have in common? (besides dudes that can't keep a girl and have fluffy feathered hairdos)
You guessed it: Penn State.

More specifically, they were all created and produced by Executive Producer Donald P. Bellisario, who completed his undergraduate degree in Journalism at Penn State, class of 1961. Bellisario was honored in 2001 as a Distinguished Alumnus, which is the highest honor given to a graduate whose ”personal lives, professional achievements, and community service exemplify the objectives of their alma mater.”

http://pennstatehomecoming.wordpress.com/tag/magnum-p-i/

AH the uninformed jealousy of those who couldn't face the bright lights on the big time :)

BTW great info on Bellisario, those 4 shows happen to be huge favorites of mine!

Fermi2

« Reply #42 on: Jul 05, 2012, 12:05 »
It's why I never got a tattoo, when they tap you on the shoulder to answer the call of duty tattoos are an automatic disqualifier,...

I always wanted to be ready,.....

Me too. I remember when I was sworn into the secret society I could have no identifying marks as I might be called to my real job at anytime.

Chimera

« Reply #43 on: Jul 05, 2012, 12:25 »
The world will never be a truly happy place until ELT discrimination disappears.

There was probably a good reason why ELTs were gleaned out of the MO ranks instead of the ROs and EOs.

Just stirring the pot, yanno. [stir]

Fermi2

« Reply #44 on: Jul 05, 2012, 12:27 »
There was probably a good reason why ELTs were gleaned out of the MO ranks instead of the ROs and EOs.

Just stirring the pot, yanno. [stir]

Well yeah, our testicles have dropped :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #45 on: Jul 05, 2012, 12:31 »

Godwin's Second Law:

any discussion of ELT's will invariably degenerate into a wang/donkey apparatus comparison...  [whistle]

Fermi2

« Reply #46 on: Jul 05, 2012, 12:37 »
A true to life ELT story:

An ELT walks into a bar and sits down. Next to him their is a jar full of money with a note, " Make the horse laugh and you get all of the money in the jar." So the ELT heads for the horse in the empty room of the bar. The ELT whispers in the horses ear and the horse laughs.
Next night the ELT comes back. Same horse is standing in the corner. Same jar except with a new note, "Make the horse cry and win all the cash in the jar. cost 15$" So the ELT walks up the horse and them closes the door. After about 5 seconds he comes out of the empty room and the horse crying. He takes the money then leaves. Comes back the next night. Bartender working all three nights finally asks the ELT "How did you make the horse laugh?" ELT says, "Told em' my penis was bigger then his." Bartender says, "Oh well that is pretty funny. Well them how did you make em cry?" ELT says, " I showed em."

Chimera

« Reply #47 on: Jul 06, 2012, 02:02 »

Yeah - I remember the LELT looking all over the ELT Lab after he dropped his.

Okay - you knew I wouldn't be able to resist.  Besides, he wouldn't have dropped them if the flash from the bag of used millipore filters when he dropped his cigarette into them hadn't startled him so bad.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #48 on: Jul 06, 2012, 02:37 »
Yeah - I remember the LELT looking all over the ELT Lab after he dropped his.

Okay - you knew I wouldn't be able to resist.  Besides, he wouldn't have dropped them if the flash from the bag of used millipore filters when he dropped his cigarette into them hadn't startled him so bad.

The filters flash like that, because the hydrazine soaked in them was pretty good at removing all that Hello Kitty Sparkle FlakeTM nail polish.

withroaj

« Reply #49 on: Jul 12, 2012, 09:49 »
Well I chose ET as my first choice at bootcamp and got it. So will not become an ELT unless they change something in the future. I am glad that I am an ET though.

They don't need to change anything.  If folks were to follow the EDM to the letter (not necessarily the intent), any person who passed RCTQS can qualify ELT.  If I remember correctly it requires a 33X6 NEC.  RCTQS gives a 3376, which may not be 3356/66 or 3386/96, but it is 33X6, right?  You can always aspire to greatness.

Offline modex

• Light User
« Reply #50 on: Apr 30, 2014, 04:48 »
The filters flash like that because they are made of nitrocellulose fibers.

Chimera

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 09:40 »
The filters flash like that because they are made of nitrocellulose fibers.

I think I rather prefer the "Hello Kitty Sparkle FlakeTM nail polish" explanation.  While yours is more scientifically correct, the nail polish answer reflects the creativity of the average ELT better.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2014, 09:42 »
I think I rather prefer the "Hello Kitty Sparkle FlakeTM nail polish" explanation.  While yours is more scientifically correct, the nail polish answer reflects the creativity of the average ELT better.

there are no average ELTs,...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?