Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Lookin to get back to work in the nuke field honeypot

Author Topic: Lookin to get back to work in the nuke field  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Michael Bridges

• Very Lite User
Lookin to get back to work in the nuke field
« on: Aug 14, 2010, 10:29 »
I am looking to get back in the nuke field and have been out for some time, OK for a long time 18 years to be exact. As much as I would love to stay home and work here is just no money in this city. I love it in Pensacola with the exception of employment. Can anyone tell me what would be involved in getting started once again after being out for this long. I am very anxious to get rolling again and miss the work and people tremendously. I previosly worked mostly at the Millstone Units 1,2,3 over the course of about 4 years with about 90 days at St. Lucie. I absolutely love the work and am very excited to get going again. 

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Lookin to get back to work in the nuke field
« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2010, 12:41 »
I am looking to get back in the nuke field and have been out for some time, OK for a long time 18 years to be exact. As much as I would love to stay home and work here is just no money in this city. I love it in Pensacola with the exception of employment. Can anyone tell me what would be involved in getting started once again after being out for this long. I am very anxious to get rolling again and miss the work and people tremendously. I previosly worked mostly at the Millstone Units 1,2,3 over the course of about 4 years with about 90 days at St. Lucie. I absolutely love the work and am very excited to get going again. 

What did you do before?  What have you done since?

Lots of outages that need to be staffed, so the quickest way back in is to submit your resume to contract companies in your area of expertise...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

IPREGEN

« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2010, 06:49 »
Any of the vendor companies can point you in the right direction. But, being gone 18 years is a long time for a business you loved. You will have to account for what you did for a security background check,references will be called.  Good luck

Offline ExNuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 15, 2010, 03:27 »
Hello all!

I too am looking to get back into the Nuclear Job Force!

Michael Bridges, when did you work at St. Lucie II ? I think I remember you, but it could just be all the radiation maybe?

I worked in 1981-1983 in QC. Has anyone else here worked at SLII during the construction phase?

I have also worked at Ft. Calhoun, NE, Oyster Creek, NJ, Peach Bottom, PA, and a short stint at Pilgrim in MA.

Anyway, back on point, I am looking to resume my nuclear career either in inspections, as I was certified in I&C/Electrical, Level II Visual welding, structures and supports. I was also certified Level II from EPRI (Electrical Production Research Institute).

Since I left Nukes, I have been working in IT/IIS as a Network Engineer/Network Administrator and really love it, so I wonder if I can cross over and do IIS in nuclear?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks

Tom Dee

Offline Michael Bridges

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2010, 10:13 »
I worked in decon for a couple of years, and a Jr Hp tech for a couple of years. Life got in the way and after being out for a little while I started a mobile automobile detailing business, from there got into pest control for 13 years after being layed off from that started cleaning condos to make ends meet, and now am back into pest control. I honestly can't make the money I was making before and have considered getting back into the nuclear field for some time but was afraid to take that leap of faith. I truly believe God is leading me in this direction as this being my career. I was never more happy as I am when working in the plants. There is just no money available in the city in which I live, and am just sick and tired of struggling just to work my tail off and still have no $$$ left at the end of the month.
     I think I was at St Lucie sometime in 1991

Sun Dog

« Reply #5 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:08 »

started cleaning condos to make ends meet

I honestly can't make the money I was making before

There is just no money available in the city in which I live

am just sick and tired of struggling just to work my tail off and still have no $$$ left at the end of the month

I truly believe God is leading me in this direction as this being my career.

From the outside looking in, it appears that your bank account is the driving factor, not God, unless of course God made you broke so you'd want to get back into working nukes.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: Aug 16, 2010, 11:45 »
I worked in decon for a couple of years, and a Jr Hp tech for a couple of years.

Lots of job postings here on NukeWorker in HP/decon field.  Start with them.  Then, make sure all the other HP/decon suppliers have your resume.  And check out NPUA.  Most of the fall outages are staffing now, so you should be able to pick up at least one job this fall.  May only be 3 or 4 weeks work, but will freshen up your experience & let you start making contacts again.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Michael Bridges

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:06 »
Well actually God is the driving factor for me getting back in the field, God has actually lead me to do this 4 years ago but I was not listening. I wanted to stay here and make an attempt to make things work out here. If I would have listened 4 years ago I would not be in this pinch. Some people are just stubborn (namely me). Now I have been hit where it hurts.

Sun Dog

« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2010, 01:55 »
Well actually God is the driving factor for me getting back in the field, God has actually lead me to do this 4 years ago but I was not listening. I wanted to stay here and make an attempt to make things work out here. If I would have listened 4 years ago I would not be in this pinch. Some people are just stubborn (namely me). Now I have been hit where it hurts.

Sorry for questioning your motivational force for wanting to re-enter the nuclear world.  It is none of my business why you want to get back in.

That being said, if you want to get in, strike while the iron is hot.  There will rarely be more opportunities to get some work on the road than there will be this Fall.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 03:49 by Sun Dog »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?