Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rookie Nuke worker Questions  

Author Topic: Rookie Nuke worker Questions  (Read 138212 times)

JassenB

Rookie Nuke worker Questions
« on: Aug 22, 2003, 05:19 »
Howdy, everybody. I'm a newbie to nukeworker.com and am looking for some advice on getting back into the industry. I have applied with Bartlett Nuclear to get into their worker pool, and they seem anxious to fill spots this fall at Seabrook.

My wife is intrigued with the idea of me being able to make good money but still being home quite a bit. So I guess my first question is thus: What do you like/not like about the outage-to-outage lifestyle?

I also would like to find out what I could do to make myself a better candidate for employment in the RCT/HP arena, since my Navy time was spent as a nuclear electrician's mate, not an ELT, which companies seem to prefer.

If it helps anybody, I did a single hitch as a nuke EM in the world's finest Navy, and I just completed the bachelor's degree program in nuclear engineering technologies at Thomas Edison State College. I've been out of the Navy for 2 years and have not been working in the nuclear industry. I did spend a year working as a utility operator in a pharmaceutical plant, where I received all the DOT and OSHA training for hazmat (HAZWOPR, RCRA, etc.). My HAZWOPR expired 2 weeks ago, so I need the refresher.

So, is there a way I can get back into the industry on the RCT/HP side with just my Navy training and a degree? Or is it a necessity to complete the DOE Core exams, the NRRPT, NEU, CHP, etc.?

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

-Jassen
Ft. Collins, CO

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Seeking career advice...
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25, 2003, 07:08 »
jassen,  yer navy em and tech degree should be more than adequate to qualify for a jr hp tech slot at an outage coming soon.  yer not eligible for the nrrpt yet so don't sweat it.  re: those other tests, if ya need them, the site/company will give them.  'n always remember, the best training/test that you can take is the one you are getting paid for!  because that's the one you really, rily need, period.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

JassenB

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25, 2003, 01:19 »
Thanks for the info, SloGlo. That's actually what I was hoping for. I'm still waiting to hear back from Bartlett, but I'm optimistic. And training is always best paid for by somebody else, in my opinion. :)

Thank you!
-Jassen

duke99301

« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2003, 12:12 »
will what ever you feel is best for you I was talking to a local here where I am at and 30 a year seems tops and they take side jobs to make it. some times you have to hit the road to make it or you can stay home and have a normel life.( home with a loving family) good luck

Offline metalman40

• RCT
  • Moderate User
  • Life sucks then you die.
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2003, 12:40 »
Have you looked into I&C contracting? An EM with a tech degree should have the background for that.
Sometimes you just want to say dilligaf and go dfr.

duke99301

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2003, 03:40 »
Some of the best training you get is what you seek out, now
when I was doing the HP thing I found out on the dirt jobs what I needed and went and got it it payed a lot better than doing nukes.
and I have used that to get out of the heard! good luck on what you find!

JassenB

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2003, 03:19 »
Have you looked into I&C contracting? An EM with a tech degree should have the background for that.

Actually, no I haven't. I've always assumed employers were more interested in having ex-ET's for that rather than EM's. Do you have any info on where I might be able to start networking with I&C contractors?

Thanks!
-Jassen

JassenB

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2003, 03:25 »
Some of the best training you get is what you seek out, now
when I was doing the HP thing I found out on the dirt jobs what I needed and went and got it it payed a lot better than doing nukes.
and I have used that to get out of the heard! good luck on what you find!

I'm the kind of person that loves to travel, and I don't have children. The thing that really attracts me to the life of outages and haz waste site cleanup is the variety of work locations and the people I could end up meeting. Not to mention that I like the idea of being able to earn in 4-5 months on the road the same amount I could make in a year at a facilities management job here in Fort Collins, Colorado.

-Jassen

willitb3

Rookie Nuke worker Questions
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:46 »
I am fresh out of Instrumentation School. I got a job working in a Nuke Plant. I Know i have to fill out Mounds of paperwork to get clearance. I am getting my work history from S.S. What other information do I need to prepare Before I Start to fill out Paperwork to make it easier on myself.Any info would be greatly apprecitiated. :)

ex-turbine_cowboy

Re: Rookie Nuke worker Questions
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:11 »
1.  Addresses for everywhere you have ever lived.
2.  Names, Addresses, Phone numbers and supervisors of every place you worked.
3.  References with names, phones, address.
4. Birth certificates, SS #s, Photo ID.
5 Job Discription of every place you worked

Did I miss much?

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:55 »
4. Birth certificates, SS #s, Photo ID.

Did I miss much?

Just a suggestion, but you may want to produce only one birth certificate, and one social security number; preferably your own. Otherwise, they may get suspicious.

allforthenukie

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:29 »
Don't know if this applies to you or not but...

If you have any kind of criminal convictions(such as OWI, underage, drugs)in your past since age 18, they may want the case number, dates, state and county where convicted etc. Be prepared to provide any kind of documentation that you completed your alcohol and drug assessment, drunk classes, probation, counseling, whatever.

Your personal references should be someone who is not a former employer and not related to you, but who's known you for several years and can verify your residences, personal lifestyle habits(such as if you drink alcohol, and how often etc).

In addition to the addresses and dates for everywhere you have ever lived, they may want a name and phone number of someone who is not related to you who can verify.

Two forms of identification, one should be photo ID. A drivers license and social security card ussually will be enough.

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2003, 12:48 »
you certainly didn't just get out of spelling class!
:D

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:59 »

Just a suggestion, but you may want to produce only one birth certificate, and one social security number; preferably your own. Otherwise, they may get suspicious.

Touche'  ::)

I always provide a matching set :o

bikerdad

« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2003, 05:23 »
Along with all the information already provided by the previous replies be sure to have any and all information regarding any medical conditions, physical or mental, with doctor's names, addresses and such. Be sure to have exact dates of everything already mentioned.
Good luck and be prepared to meet lots of interesting folks with loads of endless questions.
Bikerdad

greengoo

« Reply #15 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:22 »
I'm not a nuke yet, but this thread seems to be where my question should reside.

What is a drywell?  Could someone tell me what one is?

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2004, 09:22 »
I'm not a nuke yet, but this thread seems to be where my question should reside.

The drywell is the Primary Containment for a BWR (Boiling Water Reactor).  Here's a good cutaway drawing of a BWR containment showing the drywell surrounding the reactor.  OK, how'd I do?  Be kind, I work at a PWR. ;D
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2004, 06:13 »

In a PWR (Pressurized water Reactor) its called a BRT, Big Round Thing--Thats the big round concete stucture you see in a lot of pictures. In a BWR ( Boiling water Reactor) Its not as massive a stucture due to pressure designs and is shaped like a big metal lined lightbulb with a torus (doughnut) or suspression pool. Its called a varitiy of things by the workers working in the cramped high dose, high contamination areas of the drywell. ;D
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

harleygirl

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2004, 08:04 »
Don't forget the financials. Bring a checkbook to set up direct deposit and be ready to list any big recent changes in your financial background such as big loans if you bought a house or got a second mortgage or if you have high credit debt. In the atmosphere today they look at you also being a possible future terrorist target as in could you be easily bribed due to financial strain. Go to love security now. Oh yeah empty your vehicle before reporting especially if you are going directly to the site. Your vehicle will get searched inside and out. :) ;) :D ;D

bodyburden

« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:28 »
Don't forget the names and phone numbers of everyone you've ever worked with, met in a bar, used to date, hung out with once in a while, etc.  and THEN, name 3 people that each of them would know. . .

Drywell?  Sorry, I only work on the refuel floor.

Big Round Thing?  Sorry, I really only work in the ALARA office. . .

Unless you are a 3 foot flying monkey with 6 foot arms, avoid the Drywell at all costs. . .

Good Luck!

Ruddly

« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2004, 09:38 »
More important info for rookie worker bees.  If you see an HP running like a bat out of hell, don't ask any questions, just follow him, and RUN!  Also, if the HP sees a zoomie comming at you and tells you to duck, just DUCK! 

Here's a nugget for rookie HP's.  If you see a spill remember "SWIMS" :  Smile, Walk away, Ignore the situation, Maintain a low profile, and Smile again!

tjm807

« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2004, 02:15 »
Ruddly we use that same SWIMS on our ship. except we try to get someone to take our watch for "a few minutes" or make an out of plant tour.

frenchyjr

Newbie!! Tons of ??s Never will find the answers.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2004, 10:51 »
So here I am changing careers.

I am young ambitious and full of energy (somedays)
Anyway

My father works Nuclear outages most of the year as a valve tech, he makes quite a bit more than I do. So he says to me one day, you could do what i do and thus here I am. I am leaving for Calvert Cliffs in a couple weeks and the only downside I can think of is I am at the bottom of the barrel. I know everyone has to start somewhere so I have no problem with it. To give you a little backround I have done quite a few jobs but for the past 5 yrs I have been a computer tech fixing various problems with hardware, software, LANs, WANs, and everthing else under the sun in medium size businesses. But it is kinda a dead end job, and I think my hair is falling out. I was a mechanic for some time, worked as a carpenter for my father growing up and did some time in the Army. But know I am getting hired on at Calvert as a laborer so I can get my first clearance. I would really like to get into I&C or I&E but it seems like I can't find much on the subject. Maybe thats not the area I should be looking at and maybe a couple valve courses are, I am open for options and I am thrilled to do the traveling. I just don't want to spend any more time at a college, courses are fine but 4 years of college will kill me. So the question after this lengthy little story here is this, what should I be aiming for and is it really gonna be bad being a laborer??

Thanks Guys
Frenchy Jr.

P.S.  my father is at brunswick now if any of you are down there he is there with you.

jjordan

Re: Newbie!! Tons of ??s Never will find the answers.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2004, 11:14 »
Frenchy Jr.
Why aren't you with dad? He's obviously a seasoned veteran1 He's hear at the beach with me! I'm an HP at Brunswick, and it don't get no better than this! Calverts ain't bad though! (Expensive as Hell! But Fun!) I started out as a laborer, you can do whatever it is that you want! ;) See what kind of work is interesting to you, then find out who has the contract at Calverts, go visit and tell them you're interested in learing the craft,. Hopefully they will have other contracts and maybe an openig for a Jr or apprentice. Bartlett always has decon slots, maybe some Jr HP slots, scaffolding too! Things are opening up a bit now for several different reasons. But you should be able to find something fairly easy. Be prepared to take your summers off though, it gets slow in the Nukes in the summertime1 Some people here maybe can hook you up. Keep posting, try messaging Nukerecruiter, and get that resume out! 8)
JJ

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Newbie!! Tons of ??s Never will find the answers.
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2004, 11:27 »
So here I am changing careers.

I am young ambitious and full of energy (somedays)

To give you a little backround I have done quite a few jobs but for the past 5 yrs I have been a computer tech fixing various problems with hardware, software, LANs, WANs, and everthing else under the sun in medium size businesses. But it is kinda a dead end job, and I think my hair is falling out. I was a mechanic for some time, worked as a carpenter for my father growing up and did some time in the Army. But know I am getting hired on at Calvert as a laborer so I can get my first clearance. I would really like to get into I&C or I&E but it seems like I can't find much on the subject. Maybe thats not the area I should be looking at and maybe a couple valve courses are, I am open for options and I am thrilled to do the traveling.

I just don't want to spend any more time at a college, courses are fine but 4 years of college will kill me.

There are jobs out there, but you may need a little more college to get your foot in the door. An associates degree is about the minimum for any TVA position, although they advertise "or equivalent", they only use that if unable to get enough candidates without degrees.

http://www.tva.gov/employment/om_jobs.htm

The link shows a couple of classes, and they are willing to fill them. Better yet, TVA currently shows where the pay will be after training (assuming 40 hours per week with no OT, though OT is available outages and some other times.)

You may not want to apply for these right now, but keep jobs like this in mind after you have worked an outage or three. Best of luck.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?